GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script CCJ Expiry - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CCJ Expiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ Expiry

Hi all

I need some advice on whether a CCJ ever expires.

I had a CCJ against me in 2005 for £ 2,000 which I never dealt with and was never enforced by the creditor. This dropped off my Experian file in 2011 and I believed that was the end of it but I have recently had a letter from a solicitor requesting payment !

Do they have a valid case after so much time ?

Rich

Re: CCJ Expiry

Seems that they would have to have a bloody good excuse to start recovery at such a late period of time? so it is a try on, times must be hard for them hahahahahaha!! other I am sure will also comment.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I thought they would have to go back to court after six years and explain why they had not secured payment :-)

Comment

Originally posted by dibsthefrenchie View Post
        I thought they would have to go back to court after six years and explain why they had not secured payment :-)
        Exactly! and a dam good excuse.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I have done some research and it seems that a CCJ can be legally enforced at any time after it's issue unless you are bankrupt or dead !!

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Richard999 View Post
            Thanks for the replies.

I have done some research and it seems that a CCJ can be legally enforced at any time after it's issue unless you are bankrupt or dead !!

Rich
            Richard contact Paul our preferred solicitor he may be able to enlighten you further?

Comment

I agree with Tech Clerk, that contacting Paul will give you an accurate answer.

However, I'm sure that they would have to offer a very good reason for waiting over six years to collect on this ccj, it might depend on whether you have moved home and they had to find you.

Is it a large debt? If they do choose to go back to court, could it be defended?

Dibs

Comment

You guys are right. No need to contact Paul. It's clear that a CCJ doesn't "expire" per se but as its sat there for 6yrs they'd struggle to enforce it without going to court and having a bloody good reason why its taken +6 years to enforce the CCJ.

You'll be safe to ignore it. It's as good as dead. Just forget about it. There won't be any record on any credit file or trust online, so see what happens.
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

The solicitor that wrote - what have they said and who is it?
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

It's £ 2,000 and there is not a lot they can do at the moment as I don't own a property anymore and am self employed so an attachment of earnings would be a problem for them.

I hope to buy a property in the future and would be pissed off if ccj's from the past could be enforced to maybe put a CO on the property ?

Rich

Comment

If a creditor tried to enforce it your defence would be Section 24 Limitations Act 1980.

See this (scroll to s.24) --> Limitation Act 1980

You'll hear people say that the judgment debt is not an action brought upon the judgment because they are not separate proceedings but that's open to interpretation.

Basically I'd write to the solicitor as follows;

Dear Sirs,

Ref: xxxxxxxx

I write with reference to your letter dated xx/xx/xxxx and note the content within.

I refer you to Section 24 Limitations Act 1980 which is clear in its wording;

(1) An action shall not be brought upon any judgment after the expiration of six years from the date on which the judgment became enforceable.

As the original CCJ was in 2005 I'm not prepared to enter into discussion and any repeated letters will result in a formal complaint being made to the ICO, OFT & SRA.

I look forward to your confirmation that this matter is closed.

Yours faithfully,

Sign digitally.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard999 View Post
                        It's £ 2,000 and there is not a lot they can do at the moment as I don't own a property anymore and am self employed so an attachment of earnings would be a problem for them.

I hope to buy a property in the future and would be pissed off if ccj's from the past could be enforced to maybe put a CO on the property ?

Rich
                        They'd need to go to court to get any AoE which would, 99% be declined by a judge.

You'll be fine

Comment

Thanks Niddy as always !

I wasn't too worried but will write back to them as suggested !

Cheers

Comment

I don't want to frighten the horse, but....

Just wondered what constitutes enforcement? What has to take place for enforcement to be activated?

In previous postings and elsewhere it is considered that Charging Orders are not enforcement.

Do the 'polite requests' for payment they send requesting payment constitute attempt at enforcement? These are almost in parallel to admitting the debt exists, as the creditor/solicitor is waving a flag to say it is alive.

Comment

Fair point but as I said, it is open to interpretation plus, they would HAVE to seek court approval regardless; prior to any action; as its now +6yrs.

OP is Currently assetless so no CO can be forthcoming

But valid points. It's a very grey area plus we have few, if any, cases to go by where a court granted action after +6yrs...

Comment

Working...
                              X