GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debt PAID IN FULL, Equifax still showing it as owing - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debt PAID IN FULL, Equifax still showing it as owing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt PAID IN FULL, Equifax still showing it as owing

Right, I'm fuming now!

In early March, I was in a position to repay an outstanding debt over an overdraft from an account that Barclays had closed. I'm in a better financial position than I was when the account was closed and I thought that paying it off would help improve my credit rating once my UE credit card debt goes SB, so I paid off this outstanding amount in full by direct transfer.

I actually emailed the Barclays CEO, asking for confirmation that the amount was paid in full and received an email confirming this from an underling a few days later, along with a promise to refund an overpayment of 1p and to send a confirmation letter. Neither have materialised.

I checked Experian a couple of weeks later and the account was not even on my record. However, when I later checked Equifax, the account was there and still showing as defaulted. I disputed this immediately with Equifax and also emailed back the Barclays "senior decision maker" who had contacted me. I've subsequently had an email from this chap's colleague saying he was off sick, but I've heard nothing since (this was six days ago).

Now I have a response from Equifax that simply states:

Please advise the customer to contact Barclays Branch Recovery Unit on the details below:

Recoveries,
    Astley Byrom House,
    Quay Street,
    Manchester,
    M60 3PN,
    Tel: 0333 202 7404

And that's all it says. I'm actually appalled that they're still dragging their feet on this and I don't really see why I should have to jump through hoops like this when I've paid in full. There should be nothing to discuss. If they've decided to make up some extra charges or they're trying to link it to the UE Egg/BC issue, what are my best remedies against them? I know that the FOS is useless and no doubt the ICO is.

Perhaps a Niddy special might sort them out? I'll happily take out a subs to the main site for one of those.

Re: Debt PAID IN FULL, Equifax still showing it as owing

The default doesn't go if you settle. It just updates as satisfied within the default marker....

For default removal you needed to agree that at the start. Plus the feed update is monthly so until +1 month after last update you can't say if equifax are wrong can you? Example - the entry updates on 20th but you settled on 21st. The CRA record would be 2 months before it updated. If you paid before the feed update it should update after the next feed does update.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      The default doesn't go if you settle. It just updates as satisfied within the default marker....
      But they haven't even done that, Niddy. It's still being treated as a live debt. That's why I'm fuming.

Comment

Mate a default ain't live. Can you just screen shot it and mail me? Might be easier...... Plus a link back here so I know what it's relating to.

Thanks.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X