GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Monitor or Graphics card?? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monitor or Graphics card??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor or Graphics card??

Turned computer on this morning and got what looked like a (rectangular) chessboard) on the screen, then that goes and nothing.

I know the obvious answer is to find a spare monitor, but any advice in the mean time?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Monitor or Graphics card??

screen change colour?

Comment

turn it back on again, sometimes monitors get very cold. mine tends to give me hard artifacts like if i push graphics card voltage to high and the chipsets.

i tend to turn of and back on.

if you still have this checkerboarding, turn off pc. unplug the power from the wall. now you need to re-seat the graphics adaptor, lift the clip. pop it out and clip it back in. make sure the little lift catch clicks in place.

reboot. if it was card reseating would have worked. if card is burnt out you should see the checkerboard again.

Comment

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
        screen change colour?
        No mate - no change in colour - but monitor does keep turning itself on and off as there is apparently no input

Originally posted by Treepiary View Post
        turn it back on again, sometimes monitors get very cold. mine tends to give me hard artifacts like if i push graphics card voltage to high and the chipsets.

i tend to turn of and back on.

if you still have this checkerboarding, turn off pc. unplug the power from the wall. now you need to re-seat the graphics adaptor, lift the clip. pop it out and clip it back in. make sure the little lift catch clicks in place.

reboot. if it was card reseating would have worked. if card is burnt out you should see the checkerboard again.
        Thats the second plan. Got my brother coming down with a spare monitor - thats the easy way of finding out. If that doesnt work will have to source a new card.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

well as treep suggested try leads & graphics card (sometimes they can work loose)

Comment

if it does end up being the monitor i've a spare 19" flat panel you can borrow on perm loan if needs

Comment

Dont think its leads ... was all fine when turned off last night, though appreciate it can happen.

I just hope its not motherboard - that I cant afford at present!

Comment

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
                if it does end up being the monitor i've a spare 19" flat panel you can borrow on perm loan if needs
                Cheers matey

Comment

Well, think thats it pretty much confirmed.

Put on another monitor - same thing happened. Reseated Graphics card, same thing happened.

SO as computer boots up, and can see windows logo (and monitor logo when first switched on) can assume its not HD, Board etc.

Just as well its pay day over the weekend! How much is a new G card these days.??

Comment

Can you try the card in another machine?

I had what I thought was a knackered card once, and it turned out in the end to be the socket/inteface on the motherboard.

Comment

[IMGR][/IMGR]
                      Originally posted by rizzle View Post
                      Can you try the card in another machine?

I had what I thought was a knackered card once, and it turned out in the end to be the socket/inteface on the motherboard.
                      I can with a lot of bother yes, but not sure if its pci or agp. I was kind of hoping it wasnt MB as cant afford that.

Is there a way to "force" a display?

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                        [IMGR][/IMGR]

I can with a lot of bother yes, but not sure if its pci or agp. I was kind of hoping it wasnt MB as cant afford that.

yes safe mode -> if it works under there alls good.

mobo's are cheap atm!
                        what proc/ram have ya got I may have a mobo or 2 laying about my home. I can check @ the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                          [IMGR][/IMGR]

also . has your mobo got a built in graphics?

Comment

Cheers for the input steve.

Right, get this!

Booted into BIOS, but couldnt remember pass. Some letters were red. Noticed after while they had turned yellow (go with me!)

So, rebooted and it all came on!!. Deleted Graphics, booted into VGA no problem, reinstalled graphics, rebooted - and no problem!

Steve - I have no idea what all that means. I can take a screen shot with Everest if ou like?

Comment

PCI slots are long white units, they tend to be at the bottom of a mother board. ( 1980-1990's )

AGP are are located above the PCI slots around mid way on a motherboard, they tend to be black/blue with a small plastic leaver fitted to them. (1985 - 2000 )

PCI-E are a new adaptor they look like an AGP slot and carry a small hand leaver like the older AGP. some mother boards now have 2-3x PCIE and sometimes a single agp or single/dual pci.

i would say your either AGP or Pci-e. more pushed towards agp x8

Comment

Working...
                              X