GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Monitor or Graphics card?? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monitor or Graphics card??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Monitor or Graphics card??

Well, new card bought. Put in machine and windows wont even load - put onld card back in. Windows loads but obviously no display. New crad in again and still windows wont load.

Got a good mind to take HD out and "drop it" down the stairs
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
      Well, new card bought. Put in machine and windows wont even load - put onld card back in. Windows loads but obviously no display. New crad in again and still windows wont load.

Got a good mind to take HD out and "drop it" down the stairs
      Did you try and load in Safe Mode as I suggested? It was probably worth trying to delete the old drivers and loading new ones.

What is the new card? I dare say it needs different drivers so unless you remove the old ones or there is going to be a conflict. The PC is looking for your old card/drivers and it cannot find them so it stops.

With the old card in place, boot into Safe Mode, remove the old drivers. Shut down the PC, remove the old card, fit the new card only this time rather than loading safe mode choose VGA Mode. Once you are in you can look at installing the drivers for the new card.
      Last edited by mauijim; 4 February 2012, 20:09.
      Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

cant remember how to get into safe mode.

Surely the driver conflict should only be an issue AFTER windows loads up. With the new card, windows doesnt even try to load up
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

new card is geforce 8400 GS (512MB)

Comment

cant remember how to get into safe mode.

Surely the driver conflict should only be an issue AFTER windows loads up. With the new card, windows doesnt even try to load up
            Should be able to press F8 at boot up to enter Safe Mode.

The issue will be there because it has to pre fetch the drivers and load them - it may be booting into DOS but it will still need to load the drivers UNLESS you boot in Safe or VGA mode.
            Last edited by mauijim; 4 February 2012, 20:36.
            Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

old drivers removed (in safe mode) - new card installed, same problem - wont even boot up.

Beginning to think it might be more serious than a grafix card problem

Comment

old drivers removed (in safe mode) - new card installed, same problem - wont even boot up.

Beginning to think it might be more serious than a grafix card problem
                Okay so I need to know which motherboard you have. Some chip sets cannot handle certain PCI-E cards..VIA being a culprit.

If you let me know the model number of the motherboard I can try and help you.

I doubt it is more serious than the graphics cards.

sigpic

Comment

Also, can you tell me the exact and full title of the new card.

Who makes it, is it PCI or PCI-E there are two options and you may have been sold the wrong one.

sigpic

Comment

No idea on MB - but machine is a Medion 8188.

new card is a PNY Nvidia Geforce 8400GS with 512DDR2

card is PCIe

Comment

Install this to get pc specs mate. Post results please

---> Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

Uninstall it again afterwards. It works via HTML so not dodgy.
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Cant download anything mate - old card is goosed and keeps crashing the system.

Computer wont boot full stop with new card.

Comment

Cant download anything mate - old card is goosed and keeps crashing the system.

Computer wont boot full stop with new card.
                          Ok, usually an "Aldi Special" (that is what Medion are lol) has these specs:

Does yours have pretty much the same or not? If so the red font below is the likely mobo for your system
                          Medion MD 8818
                          Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe) E6300 1.86Ghz.
                          Micro-star MS-7318
                          1gb Samsung DDR2 533Mhz RAM
                          Seagate SATA II 320gb HDD
                          Hybrid (Digital+Analog) TV Tuner + Radio
                          nVidia Geforce 7650GS w/ HDMI, DVI, VGA, S-Video, Composite, Component + Scart.
                          Windows XP MCE 2005 with Remote.
                          Sony DVD+RW DL w/ Lightscribe + Sony DVD-Rom
                          Wireless LAN 802.11g

I think this MoBo might be integrated (as some seem to suggest the option is there), you should be able to boot-up and head towards BIOS (usually you'd hit F8/F10/DEL etc - it'll show you at start-up what option to press) then look in Integrated components to turn the on-board (integrated) graphics on, in which case you'd shuit down and remove the PCI card (temporarily). If there are no integrated graphics, then bummer - scrap the above
                          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Right, see this: ---> Medion info and files

So now we "think" your mobo is an MSI (Microstar) Motherboard MS-7318 which helps... can you confirm does it look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	21388.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	1385412

Comment

looks similar but mine only has two memory banks (and only has 512Mb) - will check properly later as need to be making a move to work shortly.

In the mean time I will remove CMOS so I can get into the BIOS.

Comment

In the mean time I will remove CMOS so I can get into the BIOS.
                                removing CMOS (battery) doesn't always reset BIOS password mate - are you locked out of BIOS?

Comment

Working...
                                X