GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Monitor or Graphics card?? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monitor or Graphics card??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Monitor or Graphics card??

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
    removing CMOS (battery) doesn't always reset BIOS password mate - are you locked out of BIOS?
    I know it doesnt always work, but is the easiest way to test.

Yes, am locked out - I have at some point put a password on it.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I have a feeling the BIOS will be locked, i.e. it will be password protected. There is a way round this, you will have to open the case and remove the CMOS battery. Leave it out for about 30 minutes and make sure there is nothing connected to the USB ports.

As I said earlier this is a VIA chipset and they are notorious for compatibility issues with video chipsets. I'll scour the internet and see if this chipset has a known issue.

I don't know for certain but when you get into the BIOS you may have to alter the PCI-E frequency to match the new 8400 card.
      Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
        I know it doesnt always work, but is the easiest way to test.

You guys beat me to it, I was a bit sleepy!

Leave the battery out for ~30 minutes, disconnected everything and when you come back it should be clear. I'll check to see if there is NVRAM chip on this board....if I can find it. The older BIOS storage via an NVRAM is possible but unlikely on this mobo. Try the 30 minutes with no battery and no power.
        Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Twat

Why does anyone put a BIOS pw on? It's fruitless and simple to hack anyway!

Ok, I guess you know how to jump the password? That's how I do it, takes 2 minutes.....

If not just say and I'll give you instructions (you won't fry, don't panic)
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

is your BIOS "award"? If so I can give you the backdoor method which usually works (ie the master password for the chipset)......
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by mauijim View Post
              As I said earlier this is a VIA chipset.
              Is it? Where did we learn that from? Has Oscar detailed the BIOS (sorry maybe missed it)?

Usually the BIOS is AMI, Award or Phoenix. Well they're the main ones.

Comment

Is it? Where did we learn that from? Has Oscar detailed the BIOS (sorry maybe missed it)?

Usually the BIOS is AMI, Award or Phoenix. Well they're the main ones.
                No, the chipset is VIA...Northbridge, Southbridge. They are well known for compatibility issues especially with the PCIe BUS. I think we were talking at cross purposes...it is Sunday morning mate!

sigpic

Comment

No, the chipset is VIA...Northbridge, Southbridge. They are well known for compatibility issues especially with the PCIe BUS. I think we were talking at cross purposes...it is Sunday morning mate!
                  ahh makes sense - cheers

I am talking about using backdoor for the BIOS / normally "Award" would come with one of the following options (award, AWARD PW, AWARD SW, AWARD?SW, AWARD_PW, AWARD_SW)

Comment

seriously last post before I go to work.

Bios is Pheonix. I have no idea how to use thye jumpers.

getting the battery out with everything in the way was hard enough!

Could always take a pic of the insides and send it to ya phoned niddy.

Anyway - time to get ready and leave!!
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I think MSI uses AMI so one of these should work
                      • A.M.I.
                      • AAAMMMII
                      • AMI
                      • AMI?SW
                      • AMI_SW
                      • BIOS
                      • CONDO
                      • HEWITT RAND
                      • LKWPETER
                      • MI
                      • Oder
                      • PASSWORD

Having said that 30 minutes without the CMOS battery should negate the need for the password. I doubt Oscar set it, I am sure Medion units have a password as default.

sigpic

Comment

If it is Phoenix then try one of these. You may find there isn't a clear CMOS jumper on the MOBO.

Backdoor passwords for Phoenix
                        • BIOS
                        • CMOS
                        • phoenix
                        • PHOENIX

sigpic

Comment

Jumper is something like this and should be adjacent the BIOS chip and/or the CMOS battery. It should have CLR BIOS, CLR CMOS or similar written on the MOBO.
                          Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

I am sure Medion units have a password as default.
                            They do and usually it is simply PASSWORD or PHOENIX (as a back-door anyway) - however if the user changes it then you'll find it can change within the series and become a different one.

Easier to jump I suspect - the hard thing will be telling Oscar where to borrow the jumer from and where to connect etc....

I am sure he'll have a 2-way jumper on the Mobo using the microclips (i.e. clocking)....

Oscar, just look for one of these: Click image for larger version

Name:	microclips.gif
Views:	1
Size:	579 Bytes
ID:	1385420 then you need to check that it has one of these jumpers (ie two pin thing) Click image for larger version

Name:	jump.gif
Size:	531 Bytes
ID:	1385422 then you temporarily remove it and add it to the BIOS P_WRD as shown here (pins 1&2):
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	jumper.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1385424

Comment

They do and usually it is simply PASSWORD or PHOENIX (as a back-door anyway) - however if the user changes it then you'll find it can change within the series and become a different one.

Easier to jump I suspect - the hard thing will be telling Oscar where to borrow the jumer from and where to connect etc....

I am sure he'll have a 2-way jumper on the Mobo using the microclips (i.e. clocking)....

Oscar, just look for one of these: [ATTACH]3244[/ATTACH] then you need to check that it has one of these jumpers (ie two pin thing) [ATTACH]3245[/ATTACH] then you temporarily remove it and add it to the BIOS P_WRD as shown here (pins 1&2):
                              [ATTACH]3246[/ATTACH]
                              If you struggle with that then removing the battery for 30 minutes will also do the trick. You can also put a 10p piece in and this will also clear it. TBH I put the battery in upside down and this will clear it...this can be frowned on by some but I have done it in hundreds of PCs and never had a problem.

The jumper being moved just adds a path to -ve to clear the chip so removing the battery power will have the same effect' just leave it long enough.

sigpic

Comment

I have been investigating your MOBO and the VIA chipsets it uses. I cannot be certain but I think they are
                                • VIA PT890CE (North Bridge)
                                  VIA VT8251L (South Bridge)

This is fairly old chipset and it may cause an issue with the new GPU. The general fault is bottlenecking which means the data cannot be transferred fast enough across the PCI bus. If this is the issue then it explains why the PC does not boot.

I'll dig some more and see if I can find a workaround for you or if there is another issue we have missed. The 8400GS is an entry level GPU and so it shouldn't cause a power issue, I do stress shouldn't because weird things can happen.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X