GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Setting up a website - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting up a website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a website

I have no experience at setting up a website, apart from on Webs.com, but I could really do with one that is visible on a search engine.
    Please does anyone have experience of this?

Re: Setting up a website

Google doesnt rank on keywords now so in meta data I use ALL as its pointless adding keywords which is where a lot of SEO bundles come from. The secret to get noticed is actually relevance to wording with search terms.

If you're selling tv's don't just write "40" samsung plasma for sale" instead say "40" Samsung Plasma 3D tv with 3 hdmi, full hd, 3d passive...." in essence use more words to describe your products.

If you want to learn from scratch you need hosting plus a theme. Custom build wont be good for a novice. Our new service will be ready by new year. £1pm hosting and I'll build you a site if you're still looking. No worries there.

Loads of options. You don't need to pay silly money. Not nowadays.

Avoid 1&1 hosting like the plague.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by dibsthefrenchie View Post
      I have no experience at setting up a website, apart from on Webs.com, but I could really do with one that is visible on a search engine.
      Please does anyone have experience of this?
      Yes, what is it you need to know?

SH

Comment

Or use a builder such as wix/joomla et al

They come with ready made sites/themes.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thank you Niddy, I would be interested in your service for hosting, it's for a poultry site advertising the stock I have available, but no online payments.
          In the meantime, I will take your advice and add to the description.

SH, I don't really know where to begin! Ideally, I need a domain and email address, then a host site. I'm using webs.com, however, I would prefer to set up something different and be visible on search engines.

Comment

We'll be able to offer you what you want for around £10 per annum

Should be live by 1st Jan 2013.

Comment

Wow, that's brilliant, thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                We'll be able to offer you what you want for around £10 per annum

Should be live by 1st Jan 2013.
                And the workforce will be of the highest possible standard recruited from a well known pool of talent

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...97&postcount=1

Comment

I could recommend the hosting company I've been using for six years without a problem, but it wouldn't exactly be polite as the forum owner will soon be in competition with them! They are considerably more expensive than the new service will be, roughly about the same price for a month as this will be for a year, but they are good.

I was in a similar position around six years ago when I knew nothing about HTML or site building. I signed up with this service because they were supposed to have the best support. In the end, I taught myself HTML and never needed the support anyway.

If you want to learn HTML, this is the tutorial I used, all completely free -

HTML: An Interactive Tutorial - HTML Code Guide: Learn HTML Free

This is the HTML editing software I use, also free -

http://alleycode.com/download.htm

If you need some free templates to make it easy, there are hundreds here -

Open Source Web Design - Download free web design templates.

Or, you could use a CMS such as Wordpress, which has advantages and disadvantages. It is easy to use, but you will get bloated slow-loading code for a simple site. You will also be more vulnerable to hackers. Wordpress in its native state is extremely SEO unfriendly, as it gives every page a title such as “?123”. You can customise the permalinks to “%postname%” to overcome this.

I have personally managed to get several Wordpress pages to rank at the top of Google, although not for huge money keywords. That was also in days before the Panda and Penguin updates, although I don't think I'd have been hit too badly by these as I had genuine sites with good quality unique content.

I may well be interested in this new hosting service myself when it launches, as long as it can offer a competitive service. I'm becoming increasingly interested in what the AAD parent company is able to offer in many different areas. I'll be sending an email soon to the address listed on the other thread.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by ScabHunter View Post
                    I may well be interested in this new hosting service myself when it launches, as long as it can offer a competitive service. I'm becoming increasingly interested in what the AAD parent company is able to offer in many different areas. I'll be sending an email soon to the address listed on the other thread.

SH
                    Me too, I will be looking with interest at it also, I am currently paying £30 a year for 4 hosted domains but I am a little restricted on diskspace and bandwidth per month.

Websites - there are thousands of opensource ones ready to just edit with your own products, I am lucky to have CS5 but it is not for everyone.

Good luck

Comment

Thank you all for such wonderful advice, it is really appreciated.
                      SH, please can you give me a link to the other thread?

Comment

Originally posted by dibsthefrenchie View Post
                        SH, please can you give me a link to the other thread?
                        It is the one which Plan B links to in the post above mine.

SH

Comment

Doh! Thank you

Comment

Niddy - any news on this hosting service mate? Cheers

Comment

Couple weeks

Honest

Comment

Working...
                              X