GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Problem with your car?

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
    Did you have a licence for it or did one hire a chauffeur?

I had to make do with one of these - link

Pater drove a Hillman Minx - link

Comment

lmao

I want the half car for me

I remember the Hillman's really well, my beloved gramp had one.

Comment

omg, it's just getting worse, Jamie went to get something from the car, he could not at first get the doors to lock (its a 3 door model), when he did the boot door will not lock.

If only we could get it in our own garage round the block

The fob on his key have not been working for a very long time either, so it's always been done manually.

Comment

I would suggest petrol and matches - but his insurance is already high enough
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Get him to lock the passenger door from inside the car, the boot and drivers door will lock manually using the key. Sounds like the battery is completely knockerd Suggestions for a cheap battery coming up soon
            Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
            Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
              I would suggest petrol and matches - but his insurance is already high enough

lmao

At the moment £700 a year fully comp, something like that, but still it soon adds up

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Get him to lock the passenger door from inside the car, the boot and drivers door will lock manually using the key. Sounds like the battery is completely knockerd Suggestions for a cheap battery coming up soon

Thank you and sorted now.

lol

Comment

I still think a new battery is in order, despite the ATS readings, it does seem to be the obvious signs really doesn't it? In regards of not being able to get it started, lights come on but to be honest not that bright, and when turning the key in the ignition, its just clinking.

Then on to the main problem

Comment

Just thinking about it, I had that problem years ago - and all it was was a loose wire - but I cant remember where/on what the wire was - was in the engine compartment - that could eben have been the starter motor.

I remember if you left the ignition turned to on, and wiggled the wire, you could hear the click as it broke the connection and then reconnected.
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Just thinking about it, I had that problem years ago - and all it was was a loose wire - but I cant remember where/on what the wire was - was in the engine compartment - that could eben have been the starter motor.

I remember if you left the ignition turned to on, and wiggled the wire, you could hear the click as it broke the connection and then reconnected.

Thanks Oscar, think it then maybe a good idea to try this first in the morning before purchasing a battery and see what happens from there, cheers.

All your info folks helps lots.

Comment

You can get a 12V reading from a duff battery. It will require @40 - 50 Amps to turn over a 1.2 If a cell in the battery is down then you have the volts but not the current. Still the central locking should work even if you only have @ 9 volts.

The clicking you can hear is the starter solenoid. I won't get technical but if the voltage isn't high enough it won't hold the magnet in place long enough for the stater motor to turn over as the voltage will drop too fast.

Could be you are not getting enough out of the alternator to recharge the battery? but ATS should have done this as well as checked for loose connections on the Battery, Starter and Alternator. On the Corsa this would take me all of 3 minutes.

Try a local scrapyard for a new battery, our local does them for @£20 - 25 OK so he will only give you a couple of weeks guarantee But as your lad is thinking of swopping the car and it needs the head doing best to keep the costs down as much as possible.

Regards, Handy
                        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,

Comment

You can get a 12V reading from a duff battery. It will require @40 - 50 Amps to turn over a 1.2 If a cell in the battery is down then you have the volts but not the current. Still the central locking should work even if you only have @ 9 volts.

The clicking you can hear is the starter solenoid. I won't get technical but if the voltage isn't high enough it won't hold the magnet in place long enough for the stater motor to turn over as the voltage will drop too fast.

Could be you are not getting enough out of the alternator to recharge the battery? but ATS should have done this as well as checked for loose connections on the Battery, Starter and Alternator. On the Corsa this would take me all of 3 minutes.

Try a local scrapyard for a new battery, our local does them for @£20 - 25 OK so he will only give you a couple of weeks guarantee But as your lad is thinking of swopping the car and it needs the head doing best to keep the costs down as much as possible.

Regards, Handy

Superb Handy

Yes that makes lots of sense.

And the fact that we could not get the actual car but just the battery itself to ATS this morning, those other tests could not be done, but you certainly made a good point here, cheers for that.

Yes he defo needs to keep the cost down, MOT due in 2 months and I am aware they have gone even more stricter from this year?

Thank you.

Comment

Could well have been the ignition switch to starter solenoid lead.
                            Coming from the starter which is on the rear of the engine on the Corsa (if I remember correctly)there will be one thick copper wire (Battery lead) and a thin (15 amp) wire going to a spade end. This is normally hidden inside a waterproof rubber cover.

I have to say that it's a possibility.

Regards, Handy

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                              MOT due in 2 months and I am aware they have gone even more stricter from this year?

Thank you.
                              Not that I'm aware of. I was at my local garage this morning asking them to do an emission test on my old motor. This is what fails most cars these days, but the calibration of the equipment means that one garage will fail your car but another will pass it.

Depends how much money they want to take you for. Beware cut price MOT's they are nearly always a loss leader. £54.00 I believe is the correct fee.

They are talking about making the MOT every 2 years. I along with most of the mechanics I know are against this move. Some people will only replace a headlight bulb when they get pulled or have to take their car for a test.

Can you imagine how many ill maintained (Dangerous)cars would be on the roads if they bring this in.

Regards, Handy

Comment

Could well have been the ignition switch to starter solenoid lead.
                                Coming from the starter which is on the rear of the engine on the Corsa (if I remember correctly)there will be one thick copper wire (Battery lead) and a thin (15 amp) wire going to a spade end. This is normally hidden inside a waterproof rubber cover.

I have to say that it's a possibility.

Regards, Handy

Hmmm, ok so do you suggest we check this first before picking up a new battery? (just in case)?

Comment

Working...
                                X