GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Son stopped by police/over driving limit - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Son stopped by police/over driving limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son stopped by police/over driving limit

I am so gutted that my oldest son was pulled over by the Thames Valley Police early hours going into Monday.

As you all may know, we live in South Wales, his girlfriend who attends a uni in London was home for the weekend and he was taking her back to where she's staying.

On the way home, this was at gone 10pm, the roads were diverted, my son had taken the wrong road and typically his SAT NAV played up!

Anyway, he ended up practically going round in circles and the silly sod decided to put hot foot down, but it was over the limit, in fact lots over the limit, it should have been MAX 70MPH and he was doing 88MPH! (or so they said), he assumed 80mph. He said the roads were quiet, but still its not the point!!!

Anyway, next thing, police approached, flashing lights, he pulled in and of course this is my son's first driving offence, he had to go and sit in the police car to give details.
    However, because he is under 25 they mentioned that if he would be willing to undertake a "Young Drivers safety course", and the course costs around £95 plus VAT, he will not this time get any points or no fines.

So anyway, he ended up getting home at half 3 in the morning, and had to be up for work the following day (well that same day), he's not long been promoted to a Recruitment Officer, I was so happy with achievement with the promotion and now this!

I am so disappointed in him for speeding and I am totally devastated!

And in my opinion he is getting off lightly with having the offer to attend the course.

Anyway, we now have to wait for the letter to arrive so he can book it up, but the snag is, they only do this in the Thames Valley area, so it will mean 2 to 3 hours of driving there first.
    I did email the Thames police to ask if they undertake these course anywhere in Wales.

Unfortunately, they do not and he will have to attend one in one of the venues offered in the Thames valley area.
    However, they do actually do Speed Awareness in Wales and there is one 2 miles away from us, but its not the same National one they offer for drivers under the age of 25.

I just hope my son learns from this, with it being his first offence, I certainly hope it will be his last, speed kills and there's no excuses!!

And he's been driving for 4 almost 5 years as well and done well up to now............gutted.

Just thought I would share my news with you folks xx
    Last edited by di30; 24 October 2011, 10:45. Reason: corrections made

Re: Son stopped by police/over driving limit

TBH, if the speed limit was 70 it means it was a motorway or dual carriageway, so 88 isn't a dangerous speed for the conditions, especially on a quiet road late at night. If he'd been doing that in a couple of years, after the increase, then he'd only be 10% over and might not even have been stopped. It's a totally different situation to if he'd been doing 18 miles over in a residential area, so I'd say he's still the same responsibile driver he always has been. I doubt there are many drivers who haven't done 88 -or more- late at night on a DC or motorway, but most aren't caught.

I was caught speeding last year and opted for a speed awareness course, which meant no points but cost a little bit more - I'd been driving for 11 years then with no problems, but didn't realise they'd changed the limit on that stretch of road.

Is he dead set on doing the course? I'd look into the effect of three points on things like insurance, it might be cheaper to just take them, especially when you add in the cost of travelling to the course.

Comment

I don't think you really have any reason to be disappointed in him Di. As Ames says, 88mph on a 70mph stretch of road late at night isn't anything that most of us haven't done.

I disagree with Ames as I think it will be worth him doing the speed awareness course as, apart from the penalty points and probable increase in insurance costs (especially as he's male and under 25), there will also be a £60 fine.
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I am pretty sure Thames Valley Police do the same course as Hampshire if so there is no fine as they forgo that if you do the course.

I do recommend that he does the course as it is an eye opener and afterwards it does bring it home how important it is to stick to the limits.

I did the course for doing 90 in a 70 I was lucky as the officer said 1 mile over the 90 and it is straight to court no fixed penalty.

The course is quite horrifying with the graphics they show you and it designed to shock, it only lasts for 4 hours and you just sit there and listen to the presentation afterwards they will ask the citizens there a few questions it is hit and miss whether you will be asked.

I really enjoyed going and was grateful to the police for putting me on it and thus escaping the fine and points.

Regards
        Last edited by pompeyfaith; 19 October 2011, 20:35.

Comment

Thank you all my friends, you have made me feel better.

I suppose the word I am looking for or should have said was "I am upset", but I did go through the disappointment stage, but the more I read into this I can understand its not as drastic as I assumed.

I appreciate all your feedback, and up to now and if still eligible he said he will attend the course, and probably stay with his GF the night before, or maybe an hotel just to make sure he's not late, considering he got lost the last time after dropping her off, and was diverted in that direction.

He just has to wait for the letter/form to arrive now, and I understand its 14 days as from when the incident happened.

Again thank you xxxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
            I am pretty sure Thames Valley Police do the same course as Hampshire if so there is no fine as they forgo that if you do the course.

I do recommend that he does the course as it is an eye opener and afterwards it does bring it home how important it is to stick to the limits.

I did the course for doing 90 in a 70 I was lucky as the officer said 1 mile over the 90 and it is straight to court no fixed penalty.

The course is quite horrifying with the graphics they show you and it designed to shock, it only lasts for 4 hours and you just sit there and listen to the presentation afterwards they will ask the citizens there a few questions it is hit and miss whether you will be asked.

I really enjoyed going and was grateful to the police for putting me on it and thus escaping the fine and points.

Regards
            Wow that sounds a lot more hard hitting than the one I went on. There were a couple of clips of accidents, but mostly it was stuff that's already been in adverts on tv. There was a booklet with a few questions but we didn't have to hand them in, it was just for our reference. Ours was quite good humoured. Especially with the White Van guy who thought the speed limit for him was ten below what it actually is on all roads. No one (even him) could work out how he'd been done for speeding!

Originally posted by pixie View Post
            I don't think you really have any reason to be disappointed in him Di. As Ames says, 88mph on a 70mph stretch of road late at night isn't anything that most of us haven't done.

I disagree with Ames as I think it will be worth him doing the speed awareness course as, apart from the penalty points and probable increase in insurance costs (especially as he's male and under 25), there will also be a £60 fine.
            I meant that it'd be a case of working out the pros and cons of both things, I should have made that clear. You're right about the male and under 25 thing though, that never occurred to me.

Di, glad you're feeling better about the whole thing.

Comment

Thank you Ames, I've had more time to think about it, and after reading all your posts have helped lots, so thank you all.

This is the one my son will have to attend going by the info we know of so far, if it was for the Speed awareness only, then he may have got away with attending the local one just 2 miles away, but unfortunately, they do not do the "young driver scheme" here in South Wales and just within the Thames Valley Police and surrounding districts.

Some details as on The Thames Valley Police website.

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/rd...cation-yds.htm

Comment

Another, specifically for Speed Awareness within Thames Valley.

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/rd...ion-speedaware

Comment

Originally posted by Ames View Post
                  TBH, if the speed limit was 70 it means it was a motorway or dual carriageway
                  Not Strictly true. Some dual carriageways are only 60.

In order for a 70 limit to apply, there have to be two or more lanes AND a solid central resevervation, such as the crash barrier. A small or narrow grass verge would not count. It doesnt have to be a motorway, and many dual cariageways round here are 60 due to there being no solid barrier.
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ah Di - it is just one of those things - we have all be guilty of going over the limit at times.

Mr Loo had to do a course - going 35 in a 30 limit - got caught on a camera. he did the course - like PF said it wasn't just a piece of cake and I do think it made him much more aware of why you shouldn't speed.

I watch a lot of the "cop" shows on TV and i do think when you watch those and see the affect road accidents have it makes you think.

xx

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                      Not Strictly true. Some dual carriageways are only 60.

In order for a 70 limit to apply, there have to be two or more lanes AND a solid central resevervation, such as the crash barrier. A small or narrow grass verge would not count. It doesnt have to be a motorway, and many dual cariageways round here are 60 due to there being no solid barrier.
                      For it to be a dual carriageway there has to be a barrier. On my speed awareness course they said that the way to tell is whether or not you could walk across it without having to climb over something.

Di said that her son was doing 88 in a 70 limit, the only places that have 70 limits are dual carriageways and motorways, I didn't say that all DCs are 70 limits. Sorry for the confusion!

Comment

Cheers again folks.

It was a 3 lane, and I actually think since reading up on these courses, it should all be part of the learning to drive part of it to be honest, they are driving too young, my son been driving since the age of 18 just over and he will be turning 23 next month.
                        And last week he travelled almost over GB to travel to some courses as he was promoted in his job and it had to happen now after all that.

Luckily though his car had good 4 tyres, only 2 weeks before that he changed them as 2 looked as if they were on the way out, so I dread to think if they had stopped him if those other tyres were still on the car,. The officers did actually check the tyres as well, although it was gone midnight, they had all the required lighting equipment.

The police were actually in an unmarked EVO, even though Jamie he knows it should have been 70, but it was pitch black and no road signs, well there were but behind the trees, just like the police were hiding under the long hanging leafy trees.
                        The worse thing was, the motorway at the time of him travelling was all downhill more or less.

Still a course I feel will do him good.

However, he still has to wait for the letter, even though the officer suggested the course, it still has to be decided by the higher ones, and a letter should be sent within 14 days from when the offence taken offence on Monday 17 October 2011, just after mid night.

Comment

Originally posted by Ames View Post
                          For it to be a dual carriageway there has to be a barrier. On my speed awareness course they said that the way to tell is whether or not you could walk across it without having to climb over something.

Di said that her son was doing 88 in a 70 limit, the only places that have 70 limits are dual carriageways and motorways, I didn't say that all DCs are 70 limits. Sorry for the confusion!
                          Its me causing the confusion!!

I have not heard of that definition for a dual carriage way. There are some fairly local to me where there is a grass verge, and sometimes a few trees, but nothing to actually climb over. I have always assumed these to be 60 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                            speed kills
                            It doesn't - a sudden stop might, though.

Also worth considering is that being in front of a speeding motor-car can thoroughly spoil a child.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                              He just has to wait for the letter/form to arrive now, and I understand its 14 days as from when the incident happened.
                              Perhaps he could try asking the plods if he could avoid the course if he changed his motor-car for something like a Reliant Robin?

Comment

Working...
                              X