GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Mate/closed account help - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mate/closed account help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mate/closed account help

A family mate (he left me a message on FB).
    He is disabled and before Xmas went into some hardship difficulties with his bank (Co Op).
    He just left me a message to say he received a letter from them, and they are closing his account.

I asked him why, he just said about problems/difficulties that he had before xmas and now this letter about closing the account on the 8th May 2012.

He is only on benefits and disability benefits, and he really does not know what to do.
    I told him to call into the branch first thing in the morning as they should be open until 1pm on Saturday's and have a word with them.

I do not know what they could do, but he has bills to pay, such as TV licence, water rates etc, and with no account he is clueless on what to do.

Any ideas folks.

I know he left lloyds over a year ago to go with co op because of having problems with them, but he needs an account and a bank to take him on in order for him to pay direct debit on his bills.

Thank you.

Re: Mate/closed account help

I'm not sure Di but it sounds like the Coop's 3 strike rule has been implemented, meaning he can't go overdrawn more than three times?? So I doubt any letters will help.

Get him to open a Barclays Basic Account he will have to go in branch to open, you have DD and SO, visa debit card and Online banking you can go into any branch to deposit money or cheques and withdraw money from any link machine.

Basic Account - Click here

At present with Barclays, there is a maximum charge of £8 a day if direct debit or standing order payments exceed the total funds in the account. However, from March, this could increase to up to £24 a day

So please do say to him to be vigilant with this account, it would cost a lot going OD.

IF...x
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
      I'm not sure Di but it sounds like the Coop's 3 strike rule has been implemented, meaning he can't go overdrawn more than three times?? So I doubt any letters will help.

Get him to open a Barclays Basic Account he will have to go in branch to open, you have DD and SO, visa debit card and Online banking you can go into any branch to deposit money or cheques and withdraw money from any link machine.

Basic Account - Click here

At present with Barclays, there is a maximum charge of £8 a day if direct debit or standing order payments exceed the total funds in the account. However, from March, this could increase to up to £24 a day

So please do say to him to be vigilant with this account, it would cost a lot going OD.

IF...x

That is fab IF, thank you.

I have left a link to this site for him too, so maybe he will join us, that way we should get more details of what happened and what's what.

Will pass this on to him anyway, this is helpful thank you again x

Comment

Not sure what he can do about the account, but if he has access to a shop that has a paypoint machine, he can pay his bills from there.

That would be a quick fix for now. Perhaps he should open another account with another bank?

EDIT: Posts crossed haha
        Last edited by SXGuy; 27 April 2012, 15:37.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
          Not sure what he can do about the account, but if he has access to a shop that has a paypoint machine, he can pay his bills from there.

That would be a quick fix for now. Perhaps he should open another account with another bank?

Oh yes, paypoint is an idea too thanks.

Thing is his benefits get paid into his bank account, so what would happen there, if they close the account he would not be able to get his money?
          (until something more perm sorted)?

Cheers.

Comment

Does sound like the 3 strike rule but worth getting it checked at the branch. If its an account with an overdraft facility would they downgrade it to a cashminder account? it may be a possibility as the only other option is to find another bank hope you can sort it for him.
            When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

Originally posted by Susie View Post
              Does sound like the 3 strike rule but worth getting it checked at the branch. If its an account with an overdraft facility would they downgrade it to a cashminder account? it may be a possibility as the only other option is to find another bank hope you can sort it for him.

Thanks Susie

Can't remember if he had an overdraft with this account or not, I shall ask him.

X

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                Oh yes, paypoint is an idea too thanks.

Thing is his benefits get paid into his bank account, so what would happen there, if they close the account he would not be able to get his money?
                (until something more perm sorted)?

Cheers.
                Not ideal but could he get his benefits by giro until he gets an account sorted out? Either that or have them paid into a trusted friend or family members account until he gets sorted out?
                When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

Originally posted by Susie View Post
                  Not ideal but could he get his benefits by giro until he gets an account sorted out? Either that or have them paid into a trusted friend or family members account until he gets sorted out?

Thanks again Susie. X
                  Will suggest all these ideas to him.

Comment

My mate just messaged me back and he asked for overdraft because he never had one, but they would not allow it, so it was an account with no overdraft.

Comment

Think he will see if barclays can help.

Does anyone know the opening and closing times on Saturdays for this bank?

Thank you.

Comment

Isnt there a minimum amount of notice required for them to close the account?? I have 30 days in my mind for some reason. I am sure thats 5 working days (assuming from your post the letter was received today) would be seen as unreasonable.
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                          Think he will see if barclays can help.

Does anyone know the opening and closing times on Saturdays for this bank?

Thank you.
                          Try here Di ---- > What are the opening hours of my branch? | Day-to-day banking | Barclays Personal Banking
                          "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                            Isnt there a minimum amount of notice required for them to close the account?? I have 30 days in my mind for some reason. I am sure thats 5 working days (assuming from your post the letter was received today) would be seen as unreasonable.

Will ask him about this one Oscar, in case he did receive letters prior to this one.
                            Thank you.

Comment

Brilliant, thank you.
                              My searches were freezing on me just now lol, damn puter.

Comment

Working...
                              X