GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script For friend/Bank did not go into unused OD - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For friend/Bank did not go into unused OD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For friend/Bank did not go into unused OD

Ok had a mate on the phone, will call her Shelley (not her real name), she said she had a call from Co op to let her know that one of her standing order payments did not go out because of unsufficient funds, but they have put this right on the phone and she will not be charged.

However, Shelley said she got paid today and yesterday still had a good amount balance, and everything due had already came out, direct debits, shopping everything, including payments she made with her banking debit card she left the money in the account for.

She has never once gone into her overdraft £300, and even on current statements there are no signs of being overdrawn.

She said to the lady on the phone, that sufficient funds were left in there, plus there is an unused overdraft, so even if there was no funds left of her own, then why didnt the standing order payment come out of the OD.

I don't think the lady could say much to her, only that "yes you do have an overdraft facility of £300 and everything solved now".

I think Shelley is stumped about this and I have not got a clue what to suggest, only to check banking statements which she said she already have and there are no signs at all of the overdraft of ever being used, the facility is still there as they confirmed on the phone.

So I take it she is worried this will happen again. I have not got a clue what happened there, but have this happened with anyone else who have had an overdraft never touched, where no suffient bank balance is there, yet an unused overdraft?

(Yet in her case she still had money in her account).
    Strange one.

Thank you.
    Last edited by di30; 13 April 2012, 16:50.

Re: For friend/Bank did not go into unused OD

Originally posted by di30 View Post
    Ok had a mate on the phone, will call her Shelley (not her real name), she said she had a call from Co op to let her know that one of her standing order payments did not go out because of unsufficient funds, but they have put this right on the phone and she will not be charged.

However, Shelley said she got paid today and yesterday still had a good amount balance, and everything due had already came out, direct debits, shopping everything, including payments she made with her banking debit card she left the money in the account for.

She has never once gone into her overdraft £300, and even on current statements there are no signs of being overdrawn.

She said to the lady on the phone, that sufficient funds were left in there, plus there is an unused overdraft, so even if there was no funds left of her own, then why didnt the standing order payment come out of the OD.

I don't think the lady could say much to her, only that "yes you do have an overdraft facility of £300 and everything solved now".

I think Shelley is stumped about this and I have not got a clue what to suggest, only to check banking statements which she said she already have and there are no signs at all of the overdraft of ever being used, the facility is still there as they confirmed on the phone.

So I take it she is worried this will happen again. I have not got a clue what happened there, but have this happened with anyone else who have had an overdraft never touched, where no suffient bank balance is there, yet an unused overdraft?

(Yet in her case she still had money in her account).
    Strange one.

Thank you.
    I think this is a con - like the "your computer is infected" one.

I think next time (if there is one) I would just say "I am going into town in an hour, so will speak with the bank manager"
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
      I think this is a con - like the "your computer is infected" one.

I think next time (if there is one) I would just say "I am going into town in an hour, so will speak with the bank manager"

I find it really strange myself, she said she was talking to them whilst checking the account and could see the payment had not yet been taken, and checked again mins after then it was sorted, but yet there there was no reason why it should not have come out in the first place.
      It's not the first time its come out on the 13th in the past she says. And it's either been on the 12th or 13th of every month, sometimes later.

Shelley also said they did not ask for the full bank details, just the usual security blah blah questions.

I also bank with these and never had any problems, something odd here.

Comment

Wonder what can have gone wrong though?

She rang me again and said she is too worried about doing food shopping on the weekend now.

Comment

She rang me again and said she is too worried about doing food shopping on the weekend now.
          why? check atm beforehand and withdraw cash - simples.

Could have been a basic precaution or anything, banks do do the odd security check you know! If uncertain ring their fraud team direct and query the call earlier: ---> http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/se...netBanking#np2

--> 08457 212 212 - for current account customers

Good luck
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Perhaps the computer had added the date to the value of the DD?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
              Perhaps the computer had added the date to the value of the DD?
              Perhaps we have a case of proving women worry too much

* time I left me thinks
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

LOL cheers folks.........

Right what I did do was ring the number she said she got back to, and a messaging service came up that it was Co Op erative bank.

The telephone number to them is: 08456 026249

I will pass on your details as well Niddy. Thank you.

Comment

I had a look on the site as well, for an email address for her, I should know as I bank with the same bank, but never had a need to contact them.

So still searching this one out, but meanwhile does anyone else know what the Customer Service Email addy is please?

Comment

Right my mate text me and said believe it or not that tel number was on her phone again, but she did not ring it back, but seeing the bank in the morning, as they are open until 1pm on Saturday's.

Am wondering though if maybe they realised their mistake and if that's why they did ring back??

Comment

LOL cheers folks.........

Right what I did do was ring the number she said she got back to, and a messaging service came up that it was Co Op erative bank.

The telephone number to them is: 08456 026249

I will pass on your details as well Niddy. Thank you.
                      Hi Di,
                      We have a co op account as well, the one thing that is always happening is it is never quite up to date ie balance is often wrong as payments to come out not showing ect, always 1 or 2 days behind. Nationwide the other acc will show actual balance against available balance. Hope this makes sense but we never trust coop figures but keep a check ourselves.

Comment

My mother has a similar situation with santander.

Two months in a row now, shes been charged 79p for unauthorised overdraft, yet she has never even hit her authorised overdraft anypoint in those two months.

The first time it happend she rang them and they refunded it, but they have done it again this month!!!
                        Last edited by SXGuy; 14 April 2012, 07:32.
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
                          Hi Di,
                          We have a co op account as well, the one thing that is always happening is it is never quite up to date ie balance is often wrong as payments to come out not showing ect, always 1 or 2 days behind. Nationwide the other acc will show actual balance against available balance. Hope this makes sense but we never trust coop figures but keep a check ourselves.

Hiya and thank you.

Yes I see what you mean as I explained that to her as well, she said she had approx £450 in credit on the day the standing order was due, and she was waiting for £78 to come out of that and all debits on bills are now paid until next month, then she said her wage of £326 were paid in the following day, the £78 was debited which now leaves her with a credit balance of approx £696 (which included her wages being paid in) and a clear untouched authorised overdraft of £300.

So available to spend should therefore be with OD = £996.

I don't know how she got on this morning as I've not heard from her yet today, but she is going to ask why they didn't bother going into the overdraft, yet a few hundred balance was available at the time anyway.

So she what she says.

I know she have been banking with them for about 10 years and not once had this problem.

I agree with you, I keep checks on my account all the time, just in case. Cheers x

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                            My mother has a similar situation with santander.

Two months in a row now, shes been charged 79p for unauthorised overdraft, yet she has never even hit her authorised overdraft anypoint in those two months.

The first time it happend she rang them and they refunded it, but they have done it again this month!!!

How naughty of them I assume your mum have already been in touch with the manager?

Hope they resolve this, what a worry for your mum x

Comment

Right, have spoken to "Shelley", the branch could not understand what happened and said "yes there was still a credit balance" and ample left for them to take plus a clear and overdraft that have never once been into, afterall it was only just for a ditty small amount for the standing order.

They are looking into it and will be in touch with her in the new coming week.

Shelley also said a letter came through as well about it this morning and it was dated the day before yesterday Thursday 12 April, it states there was not enough funds in the account for the standing order and to make sure in the future there will be (which she does anyway).

The letter she said she received has a logo Co Op, but from the Head of Unsecured Debt Management.

Odd, Very Odd!

Comment

Working...
                              X