GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script CAPITAL ONE CREDIT CARD - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAPITAL ONE CREDIT CARD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAPITAL ONE CREDIT CARD

Hello all

A while ago I saw on the internet that for several reasons some pre 2007 C.C.A. agreements may be unenforceable and as I have a 2002 Credit Card agreement with Capital One which is in default I became intrigued so investigated further and came across this forum. The postings and subsequent, clearly set out,advice responses therein appealed to my totally non legal orientated brain so I decided to register and see if I could get some advice for my situation which is as follows:-

I had continued working after reaching retirement age and was able to service satisfactorily a Bank loan with Halifax Bank (due to be paid off in June 2015) along with Credit cards with Halifax, Capital One and Vanquis until unexpected illness necessitated my leaving work in 2011. I managed,( probably rather stupidly with hindsight), to continue servicing these agreements by virtue of robbing Peter to pay Paul until early 2013 when I found I could no longer meet my commitments so I completed an Income/Expenditure statement, ascertained my disposable income and asked my creditors to accept reduced payments on a pro-rata basis. i.e. a self managed DMP. Each creditor accepted my offers subject to 6 monthly reviews but the Halifax Bank Loan and the Capital One Credit Card issued Default Notices although Halifax Credit Card did not while Vanquis registered A.P. on my credit file.

Each of these agreements relating to the above mentioned creditors were post 2007 with the exception of the Capital One Credit Card which I took out in June 2002 and details of which are as follows:

Type of account: Capital One Credit Card
    Date commenced:- June 2002
    Approx balance:- £2800
    Date of last Full payment :- March 2013
    Current Arrangement:- Self- Managed D.M.P- £50 p.month
    Account owner:- No chasing letters- only contact since 2013 has been 6 monthly letter from Cap1 to review arrangements- I have ignored these and just continued making original agreed D.M.P. payments.

Following the advice in the Forum I submitted a C.C.A. request to Cap1 under S78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and have now received from them some reconstituted documentation which Cap1 purports to be all hunky dory and watertight as far as they are concerned. However it would be nice to have a knowledgeable independent assessment in this matter so I have taken the liberty of using the Online Portal to upload the documents which I received.
    I hope I have followed the correct steps here, if I haven't I sincerely apologise to all concerned.

Re: CAPITAL ONE CREDIT CARD

Hi and welcome to the forum
    You have done the correct thing
    Our expert never in doubt will take a look at it and get back to you. He's often very busy so I'd ask that if you hear nothing after a couple of days post again and one of us mods will chase it up
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Unenforceability Checking Service-Online Portal

send copy of CCA1974 from Capital one for checking enforceable/unenforceable then start a diary of events
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Also take a look at this thread - gives you an idea of what to expect, etc

RED/Hampton/Lowell - Support Group

Comment

Hello SXGUY and THE TECH CLERK.

Many thanks for your prompt response and I'm so pleased to hear I have done the right thing.
          I have uploaded the details I received from Cap1 - rather a lot i'm afraid-and will now leave things in the hands of your expert.

Again many thanks

Comment

Hi fightinghard

It can often take a couple of weeks for Niddy to check agreements as he's very busy. There's really no rush as you're still making payments under your own DMP. If the agreement turns out to be UE I'd seriously consider stopping making those payments.
            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Hello Pixie

Thanks for this, it did occur to me that my p.m'd enquiry may be a bit premature as I can see from the Forums just how busy Niddy must be but I thought I'd just check anyway
              . As you rightly say I am still making my self arranged DMP and will continue to do so with this creditor so as to" not rock the boat" until I hear whether another option may be open to me.

The assistance all in this Forum is very much appreciated.

Comment

Hey - sorry for the delay. I'll go through upload section and answer all posts today
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Replied to your secure thread --> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...reement-Upload
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thank you

I have responded in the secure thread

Comment

Hello Niddy
                      Thank you so much for the information which you supplied through a secure thread.
                      Firstly a point of clarification (although I guess it really makes no difference)- the scans 6,7,8,9,10,11 which i sent to you were actually back to back sheets provided by the Creditor following my C.C.A request, hence actually comprised 4 pages only but as you pointed out, however, all of the information provided therein could not possibly have been on the reverse of the Application/Agreement Form.
                      It seems that it will be necessary to obtain a "true copy" of that Application/Agreement Form ( which is really what I was after in the first place) to ascertain what was actually there and I guess therefore that a CCA QUERY-APPLICATION FORM letter will be the next appropriate step.
                      Any advice in this will be very much appreciated as will any views as to whether a new "Diary" thread should be started or whether this thread ought to be appropriately retitled .

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

Regards the agreement in the secure upload section. See copy reply below

Hiya

sorry for the delay. Ok in this situation - let me ask, have you been defaulted yet? If not then if it was me I'd cease payments to force default as then it's 6 years of ruined credit file. In a dmp they mark your report with [AP] markers which stay for +6 years AFTER you've paid the debt off. So in your case 4 years DMP + 6 for trailing AP history to drop off.

Get defaulted and it's done. In 6 years the entry is removed whether you start to pay or not. Ditto, if you've already been defaulted.

If it was me i'd stop paying and try the UE route and save the £50's you're not paying. Assuming the debt is around £2500 then in a year you'd have £600 and we could try a F&F settlement offer IF they got too heavy.

So there are options.....

Regards the thread - I'll copy this post to the main one. Don't worry about the name yet

Comment

Hi Niddy
                          Thank you for your advice on this-
                          FYI the account was in fact defaulted in June 2013 when I started the self-managed DMP ( a default notice which I still have was sent to me at that time) and the default shows as such in Noddle so at least it appears I dont have to worry about the (AP) markers. I will try the UE route while saving the original monthly payments as you suggest- ( in an interest bearing account e.g. I.S.A. or something) so I guess my next step now is to send off the CCA QUERY-APPLICATION FORM letter and see what comes back.

Comment

Hiya
                            CCA QUERY-APPLICATION FORM letter sent to Cap1 today. (18 May)
                            I also have a Default Notice query so I have posted the relevant documents to the secure thread and maybe Niddy could have a look when he gets a spare 5 mins.

Comment

Hi
                              I have now received a quite detailed reply from Cap1 in response to my CCA QUERY-APPLICATION FORM letter. There are a couple of points therein upon which I would appreciate some advice from those who know all about theses things so I am wondering whether to paste a suitably redacted copy of that reply here or the unexpurgated version in the secure thread.

Advice in this respect would be much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                              X