GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Need help with cards :( - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with cards :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with cards :(

I have sent off for CCA from my credit card suppliers.

I have had one back from Virgin Money (MBNA) which now shows I opened it in 2008.

Now I dont know what to do as I am struggling to pay any of my cards.

What can I do next? Anyone had any experience with MBNA regarding this?

Hope I am in the right forum....

Thanks in advance for any help.....

I am still awaiting CCA from Asda (Santander), got Barclaycard and egg also, but I know they are after 2007.
    Think I am in deep here

Re: Need help with cards

Hi Blue Army - wait to see what they all send back, then send them to Niddy to see what is and what isn't enforceable. Once you know that, then you'll be in a stronger position to move forward. Meanwhile all you can really do TBH is wait. Give them their 14 working days + a few more, then assume they have defaulted by not responding to a legal requirement and send details to Niddy.

Comment

They may well all be enforceable if they are all after 2007 I was thinking more on the lines of DMP
      Last edited by Deepie; 26 July 2011, 09:31.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

If you need any help about DMP's I'm happy to offer some advice from my own experience

Good luck

x

Comment

Its not that I dont want to pay them. I just cant afford to. It seems to have spiralled out of my control.

They shouldnt allow "homemakers" to get so much credit. I know I am still to blame though.

I just have nightmares about being locked away.

What are the odds of them accepting token payments?

Comment

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23

Hi

that is my DMP thread.

Have a read

You will need to have a look at your budget as you will need to send them a copy of them - we can help you with this as well as the offer letters.

Are you a homeowner?

Please just do not panic - I know it seems a big mess - but believe me we have all been there.

If you are thinking of doing a DMP - start a thread there and we can jump over and give you more advice if you give us some more info.

Comment

It may also be an idea to fill in an SOA (statement of affairs)

http://www.all-about-debt.co.uk/calc...teofaffair.php

Comment

Hiya

If you seriously cannot pay then don't. Not a lot they can do, however as others have advised, I would offer £1 token payments at first to see if they bite - afterward, if they still say no then you would have to cease repayments wouldn't you..?

Its not illegal to get into debt, no bugger will lock you away anywhere ok? Stop worrying....
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Blue Army

Welcome. First thing to do is chill and try to relax. This will not be sorted overnight, it takes time and whilst it may seem important to sort it As Soon As Possible, it will not happen like that. I am in a similar deep hole and like you I could not sleep and could not stop thinking and worrying about the debts. Once again, it will not help you to keep constantly worrying and thinking about it. I know it isn't easy and initially it seems like your head will explode but it does get better with time.

Here is what I did and it has helped me.

1. Follow the advice from NID and his crew; they will tell you if the debt is enforceable or not and this will help you to choose which route to take, either UE or DMP.
                  2. Take stock of your income and expenditure and be honest with yourself. There is no point lying to yourself just honestly list what income you have and what expenditure you have. This will allow you to know what you can afford to pay back to your creditors.
                  3. You must prioritise your debts, I don't mean in terms of which ones you want to pay off I mean which ones you MUST pay. So you must ensure you pay your mortgage to ensure you keep a roof over your head. Pay your council tax this is vital. Pay your utility bills to ensure you have heating and lighting. If you have secured debts then they take priority over unsecured debts. Only after you have paid all of these can you think about paying unsecured creditors like MBNA etc. It could be that you have no money left after food bills, kid's clothes etc in which case your creditors will have to accept £1 token payments until such time as you can find more income or improve your situation. They will make a lot of noise and threaten all sorts of "possible" action but there is very little they can actually do. IF and I mean "IF" they take the court route you can only be made to pay what you can afford. No judge can make you pay what you don't have. My bank wanted £434 per month for an outstanding overdraft and I offered £1 per month which was all I could afford. The bank refused and took the court option and the judge made me pay £1 per month. I am only giving this as a true example, court is the last resort and it is not as scary as you think.

Please don't think I am being blasé when I say "they make a lot of noise but there is very little they can do" I am just being honest. They make lots of nasty threats but at the end of the day you can only pay what you can afford and that is the long and short of it. The advice from NID and his crew will give you the ammunition to negotiate and ensure they act within the law. This means they cannot make unlawful threats and you remain in control.

At this time it is vital that you put you and your family first. I had to do this and I am still doing it. You are not going to be locked up for not paying your credit card! I know I am repeating myself but it is true - the start is very difficult and then it slowly gets better.

You will trash your credit rating like I have trashed mine but hey, I doubt you want credit any time soon!

So first things first. Get your CCAs from the likes of MBNA etc and let NID do his thing. If you cannot go down the route of UE (Unenforceability) then it may be a DMP (Debt Management Plan) but either way you will get plenty of help here and there is always a way of doing things.

I am around £60K in debt and I currently have almost zero income but I'll be damned if I will let the bastards get to me! You should think the same way!

Good luck and don't forget to ask for help and listen the to advice you are given.

MJ
                  Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

@LooLoo No I am not a home owner.

I think I am going to wait until I get all the CCA in and go from there.

As for my income, I dont really have any now. The wife works and we get some tax credits etc but she has her own cards and bills.

The repayments are around £120 per month on each card. I have 4 cards (Yes, silly I know). At a push I could probably manage to pay each one £50 per month. But that will get me nowhere as thats only a few pounds above the interest each month.

Appreciate all the advice guys. Can sleep better knowing I wont be locked away

Comment

Yes please don't worry that is the main thing.

Just make sure you are up to date with your utilities and council tax.

Good luck - you know we are here to help

Comment

Everything else is up to date. The wife pays that. Electricity, gas, water, tv license, council tax, rent. All good.

Its me thats in the mess

Comment

that is good and just don't worry - just keep coming back and letting us know how you are getting on and if you need any more help or advice.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueArmy View Post
                            Everything else is up to date. The wife pays that. Electricity, gas, water, tv license, council tax, rent. All good.

Its me thats in the mess
                            don't you "share" stuff?

However, don't worry - make no payments of £50 - that's absurd when you're skint, then look at UE and at the end we'll be better placed to advise, going on things you may find you need to go down financial hardship but lets wait and see...

Main thing, stop worrying - you know you have more rights than the lender actually? They can't do much at all, at this stage!
                            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                              don't you "share" stuff?

However, don't worry - make no payments of £50 - that's absurd when you're skint, then look at UE and at the end we'll be better placed to advise, going on things you may find you need to go down financial hardship but lets wait and see...

Main thing, stop worrying - you know you have more rights than the lender actually? They can't do much at all, at this stage!
                              Share things? Well yeh its all OUR money really, but point I was getting at is the wife cant really stump up for my debts due to her own and household bills.

anyway, I am awaiting the rest of the CCA's so will post back then.

Thanks again guys

Comment

Working...
                              X