GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Decision Time - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decision Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision Time

Hello to all,

This is my first post on any forum ever so please bear with me whilst I find my feet.
    Type of account - Credit card

Date commenced - 2001

Approx balance - £15,000

Date last paid - May 2015

Are you on arrangement or not paying- Not paying

Status – In arrears

Account owner – OC

I'm considering UE route so I'm guessing that CCA Request is the first thing I should do. I have ignored all calls from OC as per recommendations on this site.

So, CC taken out 2001 with a small limit and about 2 years later asked for increase in credit limit which was accepted. This is the only time that I asked but credit limit was increased by lender by a couple of hundred pounds a year until 2009 (approx. £3,000). Since then lender began to increase limits by larger and larger amounts and it now stands at £15,000+. In 2009 I received a CCJ for utility bill. I was and still am suffering with Anxiety, Panic Attacks and Depression and was also a full time carer and on benefits.

So my question is: Was the lender required to make checks before increasing my credit limit?

The following is an excerpt is taken from "The UK Cards association" website,

2. Credit Card Limit Increases Best Practice Guidelines
    2.4 Guidelines for Responsible Lending
    Card issuers should take an active approach to ensure responsible lending.
    General Checks for Credit Limit Increases
    Issuers should undertake appropriate checks to assess a customer’s ability to repay and overall creditworthiness before increasing a credit limit. These
    checks should include reference to information from credit reference agencies plus at least one of the following three points:
     The customer’s income and financial commitments
     How they have handled their finances in the past
     Internal credit scoring techniques

Does this organisation have any teeth? Is this something that I could argue with lender?

Re: Decision Time

Hi didn't want to pass by someone will be along later xx
    if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Good Morning

welcome to AAD

You are absolutely right, sending a CCA is the first step to establishing whether or not this one is UE.

it doesn't really matter what they did with your credit limit, other than it can be the reason you chose not to pay and pursue UE.

Is this your only debt and are you still paying?

Comment

Hi, thanks for the quick response. yes this is my only debt and no I'm not paying at the moment.

Comment

Other than mortgage.

Comment

If you get the CCA off keep the receipt then you can track as to when they receive it ,thus starting a paper trail.x good luck.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by dontknow View Post
              Hi, thanks for the quick response. yes this is my only debt and no I'm not paying at the moment.
              OK

I'd get that CCA off right away, then I'd have a really good read around the forum about UE, learn all you can, because it is a long road. Read the diaries, read the one year on thread, read all the threads about what makes a debt unenforcable. Keep an eye on the post, and come back to us if they reply. Meanwhile start a comprehansive file of all of the paperwork you have pertaining to this debt. Good Luck and try and relax, nothing going to happen immediately until they come back with something.

Comment

Hi, I'm having problems typing stuff in, it keeps jumping about. Also, when I copy and try to paste things I have no paste option (greyed out). I'm using IE11 should I use a different browser?

Comment

I have issues with IE as well - try Chrome. That seems to work well.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
                    OK

I'd get that CCA off right away, then I'd have a really good read around the forum about UE, learn all you can, because it is a long road. Read the diaries, read the one year on thread, read all the threads about what makes a debt unenforcable. Keep an eye on the post, and come back to us if they reply. Meanwhile start a comprehansive file of all of the paperwork you have pertaining to this debt. Good Luck and try and relax, nothing going to happen immediately until they come back with something.

I have read the "one year on" post and its really is inspirational. When I read it I had a tear in my eye and it wasn't from sadness or stress for once but from relief. It's taken me ages to pluck up the courage to ask someone for help and I think I have asked the right people.

I've read lots of info regarding UE, and will continue to do so, but it's daunting. There's no way I could do this on my own and thanks to you wonderful people I don't think I'll have to.

Thank you

Comment

Morning, well you've made the first step often the hardest thing to do , very well done for that.You are in the right place to have the help you need.pop into our virtual bar have a drink with us and unwind The Statute Bar is always open xxxx

Comment

Where do I find this bar?

Comment

Scroll down the main menu page to Anything Goes its there cocktails and all ...?.HIC.x

Comment

Hi and welcome, this link will take you to the bar http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...166#post520166

Comment

Hi dontknow,
                              Welcome to AAD from me too

Sorry to read about your situation and the impact it's had on your health. I hope we can help to make things better for you.

I note that your last payment was in May. Have they now defaulted and terminated the account?
                              (The sooner the better in terms of interest and charges ceasing, and the sooner it will drop of your credit file)

Elsa x

Comment

Working...
                              X