GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Another 'creditor' creeping out of the woodwork... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another 'creditor' creeping out of the woodwork...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 'creditor' creeping out of the woodwork...

Hi All

I've recently been receiving letters for Cabot over an alleged debt with a card company called 'Monument'. I have some very vague recollection of this debt but it's going back a considerable amount of time -we're talking at least 10 years. It's not listed on my credit file so I fell quite safe in assuming it's statute barred.

I replied to a letter from Cabot dated 17th Jan with a the 'prove it' letter from this site. About a week later I received a letter from 'FIRE' - Financial Investigations and Recoveries Europe' (who incidentally are based in the same town as Cabot with a slightly different PO Box). The letter stated that the debt was now being handled by themselves. I replied with the 'prove it' letter again. Shortly after I received yet another letter from Cabot asking for payment.

Is this a tactic on Cabot's part? - to bounce the ownership around under various different sister companies? Also, if the debt is statue barred then isn't illegal to pass the debt onto another DCA (regardless of whether the DCA is the same company trading under a different name)?

What should I do? Send them the CCA request or just send the statue barred letter? What are my rights if they persist in sending me letters?

(I'm concerned that my other half will accidentally open my post and see the letters from creditors - she knows nothing of my previous credit history and I want it to stay like that until all my debts are cleared and my credit file is clean!)

As always, thanks in advance

Re: Another 'creditor' creeping out of the woodwork...

Monument used to be part of Leeds and Holbeck (I think) - that's going back donkeys years, I believe they were then bought out by Barclaycard, and their customers "transferred" to their own product.

I believe 10 years would probably be a correct time frame - without a doubt it would certainly be more than 6.

If it were me, I would probably send the prove it letter again.

EDIT - Actually - ignore me - I think it was Morgan Stanley that was part of Leeds Holbeck. Monument was Providian. (not that it matters). Incidentally, Barclaycard sold Monument in 2007, so should definitely be barred.
    Last edited by oscar; 4 February 2014, 10:00.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I also had an old monument card that Cabot was chasing payment for and I sent the statute barred letter, they surprisingly sent a letter confirming that it was sb'd, so perhaps that is your best way forward.
      They can continue to chase for a statute barred debt, until you send the statute barred letter.

Comment

or send them this and tell them to do one-------> Statute Barred - England (6 years)
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post
          or send them this and tell them to do one-------> Statute Barred - England (6 years)
          Thanks. Assuming I send the SB letter and continue to get 'harassed', what can I do?

Comment

Originally posted by huskie View Post
            Thanks. Assuming I send the SB letter and continue to get 'harassed', what can I do?
            You could report them ....send the letter for now see what they say ....

Comment

Just as an aside and some bedtime reading.

Cabot, Apex Credit and Financial Investigations and Recoveries (Europe) FIRE to us lowly people are run by the same bunch.

FIRE is Cabot just working out of APEX's address but Apex is Cabot also.

Anyway kids dont have nightmares.

http://companycheck.co.uk/director/912615131

Comment

I have sent Cabot three sb'd letters and apart from letters confirming that the accounts are sb'd, nothing further has been received from them :-)

Comment

Hi All

Just a quick update to say I received a response from Cabot yesterday...

It goes a little like this:

Thank you for your letter regarding the account opposite.We would like to advise you that this account was originally a Monument Credit Card. The account defaulted in #### 2005 and Cabot took over this account in #### 2006.
                  Unfortunately, due to the age of this account we are unable to obtain copies of a credit agreement or any statements.
                  Please advise us accordingly if you now recall this account.
                  So.... SB letter time?

Comment

Id ignore them now, nothing they can do - is there?

its UE & SB
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

You don't think I should aim to get confirmation in writing that they agree it's SB and will no longer pursue?

Comment

Originally posted by huskie View Post
                        You don't think I should aim to get confirmation in writing that they agree it's SB and will no longer pursue?
                        Nope cos they are allowed to hassle you, or rather "request repayment" as it's still there, it's just that they cannot enforce it. You must learn to ignore them now.
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I thought thought that any letters requesting payment was considered harassment once the debt was no longer enforceable?

Comment

No, you're still legally liable for the debt so they can chase you for it. SB means that they can't enforce it in court. Just ignore their letters as Niddy says.
                            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Ok, thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X