GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script MIL Collections - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIL Collections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIL Collections

These are a particularly horrid collection agency, based in Truro chasing me for a debt that was originally addressed to my limited company (liquidated) from VIKING Direct for some £220. It goes back two years ago.

Last year my husband had a mental breakdown and was bullied on the phone by Caveat Emptor - the previous agency into paying £30 off the debt. He really had no clue what he was doing as we had no money coming in and a mountain of debts. We almost lost the house and if it hadn't have been for the help of family we would have.

The remaining debt was sold on to MIL who are first class thugs and totally abusive on the telephone - demanding we pay our debts like others have to… utterly vile.
    I explained that the debt was in fact not ours and that of my liquidated company and as such they should consult VIKING Direct. I did later send them correspondence addressed to the business from VIKING and VIKING confirmed to me that they did in fact deal with a limited company and not me as a sole trader. I also explained that my husband was unwell and we were sorting through our debts with the CAB, paying off £1 a month to various agencies for credit cards etc.

They proceeded to take us to court and on the advice of the CAB, we wrote to the court applying for the judgement to be set aside. I presumed it had because that was back in May and we heard no more.

Until now that is. When in the space of a week we have received two letters from MIL demanding two differing amounts. The second letter says that they will send enforcement officers to our commercial business (our home) to seize goods.

This has shaken me up some because on top of dealing with the husbands recurring depression, I have had to deal with everything and after all this time, it's taking its toll on my health. Things look a bit better financially than they did last year - but we are a long way off from anywhere like normal.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

H x

Re: MIL Collections

wow, what a nightmare - can I ask, who liquidated the company? It should be them you approach, as they can sort this out for you. If there has been a judgment against you directly then that ought to be set-aside easily enough unless you had a directors guarantee.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

p.s. my manners, & welcome
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi thanks for replying.
        Yes it is a nightmare. The Ltd company didn't actually trade. We'd set it up with the best of intentions then bang - no business!! All hell broke loose and husband broke down. MIL are aware of the fact and checked it out with companies house. It didn't deter them.

After six months of chewing my finger nails the Job Centre persuaded me to start another business (enterprise allowance) with the help of one of their appointed quango companies (attending very dull seminars and useless courses) and a not-so-low-cost loan of a thousand quid. Things were that bad that I accepted, knowing that it was just a way of getting me off the unemployment register along with God knows how many others. I couldn't wait to see the back of the place. I'm 53 and worked for myself together with the husband for the best part of 30 years - so had little hope of getting a job.

I changed my telephone number then set up a website from which to operate from - which is how MIL got hold of us again. They must have googled me and found my new business name and contact details.

PS no directors guarantee.
        Last edited by Henry Petals; 8 October 2014, 21:37. Reason: additional info PS

Comment

Hi welcome to AAD. I'm sorry but I'm not in a position to help, but someone will. This is a great site that is not judgemental, but friendly and helpful. Post any questions that you may have and you will get answers. Try not to worry too much, if you read through the different threads you will see the successes that have been achieved.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It's a great site. Very, very well done to those who have set it up. It's horribly desperate out there for many people.

Comment

Hi and welcome.

First and foremost, this debt collection needs to stop now, and the set aside needs to be confirmed. This shouldn't be happening.

So what you will need to do, before anything, is speak to the liquidators and ask them what is going on. They shouldn't be chasing you for a debt related to the ltd company.

I should also add, that if a commercial debt is related to a ltd company registered at a private address, they can not, seek to levy goods if you do not let them.

If they were visiting a commercial property, then yes, a writ from a court, could allow them to gain access, however, they can not, enter a private dwelling by force.

Plus, any warrant office of a decent nature will soon put a stop to any levying of goods, when you show him confirmation of liquidation. They will simply go away again.

So that's one less thing you have to worry about.

I think a very good worded letter addressed to these clowns to put them on notice they are fighting a lost cause and will be met with a threat of harassment charges if they continue is in order.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
              X