GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Another Buchanan Clark & Wells Verification Letter query *worried* - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Buchanan Clark & Wells Verification Letter query *worried*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Buchanan Clark & Wells Verification Letter query *worried*

Apologies if I'm reapeating anything but.

In the last couple of days I've received a letter from BCW (dated early May) saying

Dear XYZ

We are trying to contact XYZ with regards to a private matter. We have confirmed your address through a credit link obtained via a credit reference agency as being the same person who previously lived at the original addess above.

Please contact by phone 0844 etc quoting reference and one of our operatives will be available to take any relevant details to resolve the matter.

If you believe you are not our customer please contact us by phone 0844 etc to enable us to remove your address etc.

Yours faithfully.

This letter was to me and I did indeed end up lodging at this address for a year about 5-6 years ago but cant recall anything owed to ctax etc (room rent was all in). I'd split with g/f type thing.

Have not had any other correspondance from this company or anyone else re this address.

Having had a (very) quick look around online, this company do seem to be a difficult/bullying company if you contact them.

Are they fishing?

Any ideas as to what I should do?

1) Call them to speak to them? (all advice I read says not to do under any circumstances though).

2) Ignore and wait for a follow up letter?

3) Write back saying yes thats me, I was there for a year 2004/05, please send me details.

4) Write back and tell them to go for a walk?

5) Something else?

I'd like to know what this is about but am not very good on the phone and easily get flustered.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Fredthefirst
    Last edited by fredthefirst; 15 May 2012, 12:57.

Re: Another Buchanan Clark & Wells Verification Letter query *worried*

Originally posted by fredthefirst View Post
    Apologies if I'm reapeating anything but.

In the last couple of days I've received a letter from BCW (dated early May) saying

Dear XYZ

We are trying to contact XYZ with regards to a private matter. We have confirmed your address through a credit link obtained via a credit reference agency as being the same person who previously lived at the original addess above.

Please contact by phone 0844 etc quoting reference and one of our operatives will be available to take any relevant details to resolve the matter.

If you believe you are not our customer please contact us by phone 0844 etc to enable us to remove your address etc.

Yours faithfully.

This letter was to me and I did indeed end up lodging at this address for a year about 5-6 years ago but cant recall anything owed to ctax etc (room rent was all in). Split with g/f type thing.

Have not had any other correspondance from this company or anyone else re this address.

Having had a (very) quick look around online, this company do seem to be a difficult/bullying company if you contact them.

Are they fishing?

Any ideas as to what I should do?

1) Call them to speak to them? (all advice I read says not to do under any circumstances though).

2) Ignore and wait for a follow up letter?

3) Write back saying yes thats me, I was there for a year 2004/05, please send me details.

4) Write back and tell them to go for a walk?

5) Something else?

I'd like to know what this is about but am not very good on the phone and easily get flustered.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Fredthefirst
    Hi welcome

DO NOT CALL THEM !!!
    I would just ignore.. this is just a fishing letter
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Crikey that was quick, thankyou.

I was sort of thinking this but was concerned I would make things worse.

Thanks again.

Lets see if I get anything else.

Will post again here if so.

Comment

If you were at the address 5-6 years ago it's possible that there is a debt which is close to being statute-barred and that's why they've got in touch.

I agree with I2D - don't contact them at all, they're just fishing.
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ignore x3

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

Yea ignore it, let us know if they come back and we'll clarify what to do next
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Ok I've now had a 'formal demand' from them.

Dont have it to hand but they say they act for activ capita who act on behalf of debenhams. They say activ have said they have had no legitimate reason for nonpayment and that they would wish to settle amicably.

They then said the figure due.

Unfortunately I have no paperwork from that far back but did have a storecard.

I thought it was paid off, first time I've heard about it.

They say the amount due is about twice what my card limit was.

I cant believe I owe this much and would want to find out where this has come from and dispute.

So can anyone give me any further advice please?.

The only contact details I have are for BCW - do I have to deal with them?.

Thanks in anticipation.

Fred1

Comment

First of all, when did you pay this off?

Most of the debts BC&W chase for Aktiv are statute barred. This may be, or may not be yet, but it's the first thing I would try to work out.

Comment

Dont have it to hand but they say they act for activ capita who act on behalf of debenhams. They say activ have said they have had no legitimate reason for nonpayment and that they would wish to settle amicably.

I cant believe I owe this much and would want to find out where this has come from and dispute.

Thanks in anticipation.

Fred1
                  This is one of those "my client's client's client" letters.... in the hope that the overuse of the word "client" will make you think they are legally savvy....

I have had great fun with letters of this type in the past. As already said though, this bunch are at the bottom end of the DCA food chain and chase a lot of stat. barred debt.

Please come back with some dates for us and we can take things from there.

Remember the mantra:
                  NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
                  Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
                  Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

don't lose any sleep (seriously)
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Will do some digging around tonight and report back tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks in anticipation.

Fred1
                        Fred. Was this Debenhams storecard from GE Money ever "upgraded" to a credit card by any chance? I have a reason for asking. Just thinking ahead that's all
                        Last edited by PlanB; 30 May 2012, 20:55.

Comment

Apologies for the dealay in update.

Rightyho I 'think' this needs to be changed to a 'I seem to be in the mire, how can I sort it out thread'.

Having looked everywhere (even taking to the ex) it appears that I havent paid the card off (dont flame me please). But I have no card, no paperwork or anything, I cant even find any account details.

What I do know is that this contact from BCW is the first I've had and I dispute the amount they say I owe (most definately) - 6.5 - to both our memories the limit was only 3.5. The debs store card was not a credit card that I am aware, just a store card.

So where do people suggest I go now??? - apart from the sleeping pills. :-(

I could pay it of at 100 a month but couldnt do more (even if I sold everything I had eek).

Any advice really appreciated.

Comment

It'll be statute barred in the near future. Ignore bcw.

Just chill.

Comment

Apologies for the dealay in update.

Rightyho I 'think' this needs to be changed to a 'I seem to be in the mire, how can I sort it out thread'.

Having looked everywhere (even taking to the ex) it appears that I havent paid the card off (dont flame me please). But I have no card, no paperwork or anything, I cant even find any account details.

What I do know is that this contact from BCW is the first I've had and I dispute the amount they say I owe (most definately) - 6.5 - to both our memories the limit was only 3.5. The debs store card was not a credit card that I am aware, just a store card.

So where do people suggest I go now??? - apart from the sleeping pills. :-(

I could pay it of at 100 a month but couldnt do more (even if I sold everything I had eek).

Any advice really appreciated.
                              Any idea when you last payed anything on this ?

Comment

Working...
                              X