GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script RENT PAYMENT HISTORY TO APPEAR ON CREDIT FILES :( - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RENT PAYMENT HISTORY TO APPEAR ON CREDIT FILES :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RENT PAYMENT HISTORY TO APPEAR ON CREDIT FILES :(

I don't like this decision by Experian one little bit. From January they will be reporting rent payment history on your credit file. They're arguing that this will help consumers to build up a good credit history in the same way as people who have a mortgage payment history. They claim this will help renters to access credit more easily.

But what about tenants who have rent arrears or late payments sometimes because Housing Benefit has been slow to process? This data will make life even more difficult for those in debt.

The scheme starts with social housing data but soon it will be rolled out to private Landlords to provide information.

http://www.landlordtoday.co.uk/news_...y-the-New-Year

Re: RENT PAYMENT HISTORY TO APPEAR ON CREDIT FILES

Ahh but here's the thing - LA's have used CRA's for years, I did on benefit fraud 10 years ago - but we only checked to find matches etc. However it costs as much as £37 per customer per event to share feeds - big banks get it a lot cheaper due to the millions of referrals used but see a wee landlord with one or two rental properties, nah. It'll be too dear for them so this won't take off unless the customers absorb it and they're the ones who need to refuse.

Plus the landlord would have to be DPA registered to be considered a data controller.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

This is going to cause a lot of tenants problems. I know several in social housing who do not fill in forms for electoral role to keep under the radar of DCA's, this system if implemented, will allow them to be traced regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        a wee landlord with one or two rental properties, nah. It'll be too dear for them so this won't take off . . .

Plus us the landlord would have to be DPA registered to be considered a data controller.
        I think the big letting agent chains will pile into the scheme because they can offer it as an extra service to Landlords as all part of their *enhanced* tenant referencing deal. Agents are already DPA registered (or should be!).

Anyway this wee landlord won't be providing Experian with any data and I won't give any agent my permission to do that on my behalf either.

Comment

FAQ http://www.experian.co.uk/assets/ren...-faq-nov13.pdf
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
            This is going to cause a lot of tenants problems. I know several in social housing who do not fill in forms for electoral role to keep under the radar of DCA's, this system if implemented, will allow them to be traced regardless.
            There's usually an ulterior motive somewhere down the line and we are fast becoming a Big Brother society. I can remember staying off the electoral role years ago and then DVLA dobbed me in (so to speak)..... which is why this forum is vital in helping people to find a way forward with their particular issues.
            Remember the mantra:
            NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
            Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
            Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

According to the FAQ social housing providers currently can only see rent payment history but then it says " . . . soon be able to provide a full picture of the tenants (credit) history to enable social housing providers to better support and identify the most vulnerable tenants".

I fear that means some people on the council (or HA) waiting or transfer list may not get offered decent property if they have a load of credit card defaults on their file. And I also think it will 'encourage' social Landlords to start repossession for rent arrears sooner rather than later if they are aware of a previous poor payment history.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                It will certainly make it easier for social Landlords to trace and chase rent arrears once a tenant has moved out

Comment

See when rent / utilities / water etc becomes CREDIT then I think the CRA's have a right to share the data. However im
                  not being funny but if I rented I'd never authorise any agent to share my data.

These CRA's are just thinking of more ways to make money. Since when has rent ever been a form of credit? Ergo what right does it have being on my credit record? What if your landlord doesn't fix the shower, so you go get it done and deduct it from the rent - will that show as late? How, it never was late was it - it was merely a dispute.

Theres so many flaws with this, like sharing data for water companies (ie you have no freedom to move supplier) to make it a joke. A CREDIT reference agency is just that. A firm that records CREDIT data such as your mortgage.

Maybe be the people of the UK need to start being more vocal over such things....
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Since when has rent ever been a form of credit?
                    Absolutely.
                    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Next they'll try and record if we pay Virgin/Sky on time. Hey maybe it'll link to eBay and default us if we are a non sending seller. Where does it end.....

toilet roll. shit. flush comes to mind

Comment

Next they'll try and record if we pay Virgin/Sky on time. Hey maybe it'll link to eBay and default us if we are a non sending seller. Where does it end.....

toilet roll. shit. flush comes to mind
                        don't tempt fate mate! One reason i avoid British Gas since discovering AAD
                        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Sky have said for over 15 years they'll never line the pockets of CRA's. Fair play

Comment

Sky have said for over 15 years they'll never line the pockets of CRA's. Fair play
                            good for them (and us!) and better (in my opinion) than Virgin who also line the pockets of the CRA's...

Comment

Virgin is garbage and a cheapskate version IMO. Sky rent packages to them - I've never used cable but realise there's like 100 channels less than sky. Plus for example sky put a lot of good sports on SS4 red button. Virgin miss out on such occasions.

Comment

Working...
                              X