GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script EMail Clients - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMail Clients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMail Clients

I'm bored to death with Outlook Express.
    It's ridiculous that it no longer processes Hotmail etc, and as I have 6 different domain accounts plus several different Hotmail / Live /Google accounts for different purposes it's doing my head in trying to keep up with them all in different places.

I'm looking for a good alternative that will handle everything, modern, fast and skinable.

Suggestions anyone?

Anyone use Thunderbird? Incredimail?

Both look quite good. Don't mind a paid for one, within reason...

Shep x

Re: EMail Clients

I use Thunderbird.

Has the advantage for me that it's commonly used and available for any system I might use. Windows, Linux etc. Means that if I need to switch to a new compute I can install Thunderbird, copy over my profile folder and I'm up and running.

Plus lots of extensions available.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I have managed to force Outlook (not express) to accept my live email.

Only other client I have used is Pegasus (dont even know it thats still going)
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I found incredimail a PITA and VERY difficult to get rid of should you want to change your mind! (wraps itself around damaged registry etc)

Happy for a fair while now with Thunderbird

Comment

Thunderbird it is then!

Is the live email capability built in or is it a plug in?

Comment

Also I have zillions of stored emails in Outlook that I don't want to copy across. I'll just disable each account from being checked and use it offline as an archive.

I will need the account settings importing though, so hopefully will be able to do this but choose not to pull in the old emails?

Comment

For most providers it has auto-setup for accounts.

e.g. you put in your email address, etc and then TB goes off to a database on a Mozilla server or similar to find the email server, port numbers etc it needs to set up. No plug-in required.

I have a hotmail account somewhere. Can try adding it to TB as a test if Phil etc can't tell you for definite.

Comment

Just downloading it....

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
                  I will need the account settings importing though, so hopefully will be able to do this but choose not to pull in the old emails?
                  If the old email program has left copies on the server, then it may download the lot first time it checks. Not sure if there is a way to stop that?

Comment

That's OK..I have 'em set to delete after 5 days ...

Comment

Back when I used to use windows my favourite client was pocomail.

PocoMail by Poco Systems Inc

Worth having a look at!

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
                        For most providers it has auto-setup for accounts.

e.g. you put in your email address, etc and then TB goes off to a database on a Mozilla server or similar to find the email server, port numbers etc it needs to set up. No plug-in required.

I have a hotmail account somewhere. Can try adding it to TB as a test if Phil etc can't tell you for definite.
                        Well, my old hotmail account no longer seems to exist.

MS must have zapped it due to lack of use.

I just created a new one however, and Thunderbird fetched the server details and downloaded the "welcome message" from MS just fine.

Comment

Yep, no problems here either
                          All installed, with a rather nice "Vista" theme and all my live mail accounts up and running.

What has struck me though is that I don't particularly want my OH rummaging through EVERY account!

Nothing sinister, just that I use one for buying online..including Christmas/birthday prezzies and ....CLOTHES. (The girls will understand this, LOL)

So when you get the question "Is that new", stock answer of "No I've had it ages" wouldn't work.....

So I'm going to keep this seperate for my stuff, and let OH keep using good ol' Outlook.
                          Being a technophobe I don't think he'd manage TBird very well anyway.
                          He recently managed to lose a complete folder in OE...deleted it then deleted the deleted items contents.

Comment

Poor BBoo's been running around like a blue arsed fly in pure ignorance of any of this stuff being available.

I think you've just freed up about 2 hours a day!

Thanks folks!

Comment

Tell me about it! Signing in and out of different live accounts was a right pain in the..
                              a$$!!

Comment

Working...
                              X