GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script EMail Clients - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMail Clients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMail Clients

Just an update to say I'm loving Thunderbird.
    Fast, looks ace with my mods, much better than OE.
    Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Is it possible to get Thunderbird sitting with the tabs for windows open? I downloaded it after reading this - it's great, but it sits behind my open windows all the time, so I have to minimise those to see when I've got mail, or click on the task bar to see it, then minimise it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
        Just an update to say I'm loving Thunderbird.
        Fast, looks ace with my mods, much better than OE.
        Thanks for the advice!
        Excellent.

I've used it for years and years now, and have not found anything that I prefer.

Plus, as said, it being so common and multi-platform means that if I need to transfer my profile data/mail to another computer, it's never a problem.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
          Is it possible to get Thunderbird sitting with the tabs for windows open? I downloaded it after reading this - it's great, but it sits behind my open windows all the time, so I have to minimise those to see when I've got mail, or click on the task bar to see it, then minimise it again.
          Linux lets me do that, but not sure if Windows allows the same by default? May be an addon or other program to do that?

I use an addon that puts an icon with a new mail notification in my system tray, so I can see at a glance if I have new mail. Again, not sure if there is a Windows equivalent?
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

if you minimise thunderbird, you will see an envelope icon in your tasktray, it will tell you when you have mail, and also, you will get a messagebox pop up notifying you everytime new mail is received.

Comment

Excellent news shep...glad you like!

Comment

I love it!!!

Bboo..not sure if that's doable in Windows. Have you got popup notifications turned on, where the new email details show up bottom right?

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
                  I love it!!!

Bboo..not sure if that's doable in Windows. Have you got popup notifications turned on, where the new email details show up bottom right?
                  I don't know, but I'll have a look now thanks. It's a brilliant programme - that's the only bit that's stopping me switching at the moment.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
                    I don't know, but I'll have a look now thanks. It's a brilliant programme - that's the only bit that's stopping me switching at the moment.

Thanks for the reply!
                    Have you tried this extension in Firefox? Thunderbird Biff

It may help you?

MJ
                    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

No I haven't. I use Firefox, so that could be a massive help thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                        if you minimise thunderbird, you will see an envelope icon in your tasktray, it will tell you when you have mail, and also, you will get a messagebox pop up notifying you everytime new mail is received.
                        It will do exactly what you are asking guys.

Comment

For some reason, I have decided to bite the bullet on this (new) machine and go onto TBird for my email.

Although I can work out how to create folders, I cant work out how to make rules to direct the mail into those folders - was quite easy on outlook, its seems it is not so easy on this.

Any advice chaps?

EDIT - Ignore, I have managed to do it.
                          Last edited by oscar; 10 February 2012, 17:20.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                            For some reason, I have decided to bite the bullet on this (new) machine and go onto TBird for my email.

Although I can work out how to create folders, I cant work out how to make rules to direct the mail into those folders - was quite easy on outlook, its seems it is not so easy on this.

Any advice chaps?

EDIT - Ignore, I have managed to do it.
                            I don't have TB installed but I think you go to TOOLS | MESSAGE FILTERS | NEW

It should work the same as Outlook IIRC?

EDIT: Oops! I missed your edit!
                            Last edited by mauijim; 10 February 2012, 17:33.
                            Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Funny how I have been using Firefox for years yet never thought of Thunderbird going to download then test it out for a while with my various accounts.

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

It's brilliant PF, especially for gathering up all the web accounts in one place.
                                I found a really nice theme called Office Black...background and boxes are very soft light grey, but nice black accents and tabs. Very easy on the eyes.

Shep x

Comment

Working...
                                X