GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Travelling around the USA without a Credit Card. Can it be done? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travelling around the USA without a Credit Card. Can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling around the USA without a Credit Card. Can it be done?

Hi, We are considering a trip to the USA next year. We intend flying into XX and doing a loop around USA, flying back from original destination. We need to hire a car, and have been told that this will be difficult without a credit card. We don't have one, and we wouldn't get one. Has anyone had any experience of doing this sort of trip with just a debit card, cash and a Travelex prepaid card. If we can't resolve this then its a non starter.

Thanks

Re: Travelling around the USA without a Credit Card. Can it be done?

sorry Elsie, we had a credit card when we went to the good ole US of A. so am unable to help, maybe some one else will be along later with better advice xx
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

A debit card will be fine as it's the visa network it uses. You'll be fine but I'd ask alland cos he's in USA all the time

Lucky you. Sound great fun
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Elsie52 View Post
        a trip to the USA next year. . . . We need to hire a car, and have been told that this will be difficult without a credit card.
        Why don't you book and pay for the hire car in the UK before you go on your trip. Here's a website which provides pre-paid package hire car deals. They're based in Surrey. I've no idea if they're any good but it proves that you can pay in advance in the UK so not having a credit card in the US won't be a problem.

http://www.usrentacar.co.uk/#

Comment

Thanks everyone, I will PM Alland and see if its possible, as you say Niddy,he should know is anyone does. Its the retirement pot coming is useful, and if we don't do it now, we never will.

Thanks PlanB, I will certainly look into that website. We don't want to get our hopes up if its not going to be possible, but its already looking like it will be cheaper doing it by ourselves, than with an organised tour company.

Comment

Hi I am from there well cananda and i go tot he USA all the time NEVER had a CC used .... and actually i opened a bank account there which is easier than here

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
              Why don't you book and pay for the hire car in the UK before you go on your trip. Here's a website which provides pre-paid package hire car deals. They're based in Surrey. I've no idea if they're any good but it proves that you can pay in advance in the UK so not having a credit card in the US won't be a problem.

I have used holidayautos.co.uk to pre book before I travelled and I also have hired whilst out there without a credit card.

You should be fine and I am sure you'll have a great holiday

Comment

We managed it with a Visa Debit card, but don't think about taking a Nationwide one as they don't work in cash machines abroad, you have to go into Banks and Beaureau de Change and get cash out.

Comment

Nationwide are among the top 10 worst debit cards to use abroad, used to be one of the best and had a fantastic exchange rate, then they got wise to getting more money out of you and ruined a good thing
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post

Ok it can help to prepay in the UK. But only as far as getting a better price deal, however when you get to the rental car company desk to present your voucher and pick up your car you will be asked for a credit card which they swipe and keep on file in the event of any charges for parking/ speeding tickets ect. arriving in their lap after you have flown back home.

Due to the frequent visits I have to make to the US I now keep my own vehicle there, but back in the days of needing a rental car I found that even though for some reason they don't like debit cards you can get around the credit card requirement by complying with things such as showing them your trip itinerary and dated return return flight tickets. Then and only then will they reluctantly accept a debit card. Otherwise it means leaving a substantial cash deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by Elsie52 View Post
                      Thanks everyone, I will PM Alland and see if its possible, as you say Niddy,he should know is anyone does. Its the retirement pot coming is useful, and if we don't do it now, we never will.

Thanks PlanB, I will certainly look into that website. We don't want to get our hopes up if its not going to be possible, but its already looking like it will be cheaper doing it by ourselves, than with an organised tour company.
                      Hi Elsie, I've replied to you PM honey.

Go ahead and make your plans and enjoy the adventure, you will be just fine. And yes you will do it cheaper doing it yourself than on some organised tour. Have car will travel...but beware the US is a lot bigger then many people realise, I often run Into visitors from the UK who say well we will just pop over to New York for a look then we will pop to LA then maybe nip down to Vegas, before driving across to Miami before heading back to New York and flying home.....that little jaunt is about 8 thousand miles round trip ....

Plan your trip wisely and you will have a great time,there is so much to see and do, and it isn't at all like you see on TV once you get into the heartland of the US, the people are fantastic and go out of their way to make sure you are looked after, stay in family run guest houses or motels for the best prices and hospitality.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire View Post
                        We managed it with a Visa Debit card, but don't think about taking a Nationwide one as they don't work in cash machines abroad, you have to go into Banks and Beaureau de Change and get cash out.

My Nationwide debit card works in the Far east, used many a time??

One we found useless was The pre paid Caxton fx Card and that one O.H. used this year ( or more so the card failed each attempt) so cost me monies to send money via western union, only to complain to Caxton fx to be told make sure she was using Visa ATM ,I know the machines she was using as they were Visa ATMs which in the past I used my Nationwide Visa Debit Card?
                        Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 27 June 2014, 11:22.

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
                          it can help to prepay in the UK. But only as far as getting a better price deal, however when you get to the rental car company desk to present your voucher and pick up your car you will be asked for a credit card which they swipe and keep on file in the event of any charges for parking/ speeding tickets ect. arriving in their lap after you have flown back home

. . . . in the days of needing a rental car I found that even though for some reason they don't like debit cards you can get around the credit card requirement by complying with things such as showing them your trip itinerary and dated return return flight tickets. Then and only then will they reluctantly accept a debit card. Otherwise it means leaving a substantial cash deposit.

So you mean there is a real risk that the hire car company won't accept a debit card?

If you think Elsie would get a better price deal by pre-paying in the UK then that would be a great saving. And if there are any problems with the rental she'll be fighting the battle with a UK firm which will be easier than fighting with a US firm because she could report them to Trading Standards or take them to the county court in the event of a dispute.

If she's pre-paid for the hire car then all the rental company will require is some sort of financial security against parking fines etc so a debit card may be more readily accepted. If it's for the whole rental they are more likely to be picky thinking Elsie maybe on a Thelma and Louise mission

Elsie the other thing I would suggest is to tell your bank that you're going abroad with dates etc because in my experience the bank's Fraud Department often block a debit card after three or so international transactions and ask you to call them to get it unblocked by verifying the usage. The NatWest Fraud Department have a policy of not contacting you before 8 am or after 9pm UK time which means you can be left stranded outside those hours not knowing why your card doesn't work. Make a note of your bank's Fraud Team direct line before you go so you can ring them if there's a problem. You can reverse the charges too.

Comment

Thankyou everyone for the advice and tips. We will certainly look into car hire here, and hope that we can get around the credit card issue.

We are looking to do the Western side of the USA, we have been before, but it was on an organised tour, and we only really touched down at some places. We thought it would be a great adventure to do it ourselves, we can pick and choose where and when we stay/leave etc. We both drive so can share the driving, and take our time hopefully. We are not really stuck to the 8 weeks, could do longer if we need to. Dare not really start to plan until I've cleared up the finance/credit card side of things

Do you also think taking American express travellers cheques is a better option than a pre paid card. Last time we were in the states we took a Travelex card, and it was great for purchasing and paying for meals etc. But we tried to get a balance at a ATM machine and it was useless......don't think we even got any cash out, fortunately we also took cash with us.

Thanks for the advice on letting the bank know......this I did know because I used my card a couple of times when we went on holiday abroad somewhere without telling the bank and they put a stop on my card.!!!!! It was a faff about sorting it out when we got back home. Thanks again everyone, will keep you informed when I have managed to sort things. xx

Comment

Hope you have a great time Elsie x
                              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Working...
                              X