GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script What to get as next car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to get as next car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to get as next car?

I currently have a 1.0 v reg Nissan Micra (given to me by dearest mother)

However my partner is about to start her Lessons and i would let her use this as is good fuel-wise around the town etc.

Also i could be looking at doing 120mile (there and back) commute for an Apprenticeship so am wondering what car could be a good car next.

looking at about £1000 for the car and would be nice to be cheap to insure.

Looking for something a wee bit bigger as we can tell micra is gettin a bit family small now.

Atm i'm just looking for ideas and experiences as getting this apprenticeship isnt certain but if i do get it i dont like the idea of adding 500-1k miles a week in travel to the micra
    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Re: What to get as next car?

How old are you again? there are cars cheap and cheap cars ...

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
      I currently have a 1.0 v reg Nissan Micra (given to me by dearest mother)

However my partner is about to start her Lessons and i would let her use this as is good fuel-wise around the town etc.

Also i could be looking at doing 120mile (there and back) commute for an Apprenticeship so am wondering what car could be a good car next.

looking at about £1000 for the car and would be nice to be cheap to insure.

Looking for something a wee bit bigger as we can tell micra is gettin a bit family small now.

Atm i'm just looking for ideas and experiences as getting this apprenticeship isnt certain but if i do get it i dont like the idea of adding 500-1k miles a week in travel to the micra
      Is this car purchase instead of paying off your rent arrears and fending off your possession proceedings due in court next week?

Comment

Nope i've set aside the RA's

And looking at Savings accounts from which i can place the rest

But from 1st-3rd pay from apprenticeship ( as its 13k a year) sort of time frame.

So the start of some future planning.

I'm 22.
        I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Comment

until your 25 you need cheap to insure cars.. .

Nissan Almeras
          Some peugeots
          small cars or estate cars that are older

basically any car that is appealing to a kid your age forgetabout it lol

My son is 19 and I have insured 3 cars for him with him and it can get pricey

Comment

Also ask Niddy about a little FB post i made and the resulting PM's

the link was something like this £3495 Pug 206 1.1

Needless to say he ( and my dearest mum who bless her rang me up and shouted at me lol)

Comment

LOl I would have too!

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
                Needless to say he ( and my dearest mum who bless her rang me up and shouted at me lol)
                Because that's what we Mums do

Comment

When I explained things she seemed less miffed with me.

Plus don't get me wrong I love my little micra. Hence I won't be selling it but letting missus use it. (Thou she will be supervised to begin with as not to put me at much worry.)

Comment

If you buy a Pug I'll come over the border and kick your arse too!
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                      If you buy a Pug I'll come over the border and kick your arse too!
                      You got any suggestions then Oscar??

Comment

As a shock to me last night found a 1.8 v reg land rover freelander for 1k on ebay and jokingly went to see what insurance was like only £400 more a year than what i'm currently paying.

That threw me a milestone as was expecting insurance to be more like £1500 more a year.

Comment

I insure my daughter's car (we're both named on the V5/log book) with me as the owner and sole driver, and her as my one "named driver" which keeps the premium really low because I'm an old women in insurance terms with a 40 years No Claims Bonus history

Strictly speaking this is known as "fronting" but what the hell

It's insured with Direct Line which is the only car insurance company which lets a "Named Driver" accumalate a No Claims Bonus of their own so that after 5 years the "Named Driver" can have their own insurance using that full 5 years' No Claims Bonus.

Does your Mum already have a car insured of her own
                          Last edited by PlanB; 14 October 2012, 18:38. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
                            I insure my daughter's car (we're both named on the V5/log book) with me as the owner and sole driver, and her as my one "named driver" which keeps the premium really low because I'm an old women in insurance terms with a 40 years No Claims Bonus history

Strictly speaking this is know as "fronting" but what the hell

It's insured with Direct Line which is the only car insurance company which lets a "Named Driver" accumalate a No Claims Bonus of their own so that after 5 years the "Named Driver" can have their own insurance using that full 5 years' No Claims Bonus.

Does your Mum already have a car insured of her own

There is another company doing that as well I will try to remember who advertised it, I did it i.e. me being added driver to the daughters to make it cheaper for her, BUT after 48 years would of been no claims driver myself, I tried Direct line and be honest their prices were way over the Top, admiral was the same.
                            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Aviva do that too!! thats what we did with DS.

Comment

Working...
                              X