GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script What to get as next car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to get as next car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What to get as next car?

just seen a 1.9 1997 306 d turbo thats going near me for £500 thou would need tax at end of month (£220 for 12months )

But supposedly does 52 miles to gallon so a little more than the micra does now.

And insurance wouldnt be too bad on it at another £300 a year on insurance
    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
      just seen a 1.9 1997 306 d turbo thats going near me for £500 thou would need tax at end of month (£220 for 12months )

But supposedly does 52 miles to gallon so a little more than the micra does now.

And insurance wouldnt be too bad on it at another £300 a year on insurance

My brother in law had one and they are not bad motors, just make sure it's had it cambelt changed and it's been serviced. The only problem he has was a few electrical problems, but they where fairly minor

Comment

Car designer Michael Vetter was bored with regular motors and built a futuristic car that is less Renault Clio and more like a vehicle featured in the Sci-fi film 'The Fifth Element'. The car has even been named The Extra Terrestrial Vehicle - ETV - to reflect its alien-like look. ETV is based on the same platform as a modest, run-of-the-mill Chevrolet, but this is where the similarities end. It has a five-feet high windscreen and gullwing doors which open automatically via remote control

Click image for larger version

Name:	space-car-etv08112012-jpg_174811.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1391678
        Source: Pictures of the week: From Obama's big win to a tiny tortoise Photos | Pictures - Yahoo! News UK
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Wouldn't be any good on the British Roads with its Pot holes or Speed Bumps!
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
            No it doesn't work like that when the premium is calculated( I'm old enough to have had to do in manually), one of the main risks is the main drive when calculating the rate, so if you lie and say it's the older person the rate is wrong and you are commiting insurance fraud.

I'm sorry if you can't afford the correct rate without lying the kid should wait until they can. This sort of thing really pee's me off, by doing this , people are doing the same thing to the insurers/brokers as the DCA's etc are doing to us.

I know this view wont be popular but, this sort of thing is one of the reason I'm getting out of the industry.
            When i first started driving, my father was the policy holder and i was named driver. From what i recall, they implied that the premium would be based on the youngest named on the policy, regardless.

Maybe they do it differently now, which is why its open to fraud, but im almost certain this wasnt always the case, hense the massive premiums i paid in my first 5 years of driving.

It is crazy though, that i paid 3 times as much for a J Reg Ford Orion, as i do now for a BMW 320CD M Sport.

Comment

Don't get me going about Insurance premiums...

The nature of our business requires us to carry quite a complex motor trade policy at a cost of over £5K a year !

Just informed them that we have a Audi R8 joining the fleet of company vehicles on the 1st of December and they say we will have to top up our cover by paying another £1,500 on top of our existing premium....

I wouldn't mind but we have never claimed a penny in over 20 yrs of being in business....

Comment

Decided on a Skoda Fabia 1.9 diesel for next car and looking at around Feb for Purcahse dependant on how things go with housing by then.

Better fuel efficiency than the micra and wont sound like its struggling either
                I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Comment

Decided on a Skoda Fabia 1.9 diesel for next car and looking at around Feb for Purcahse dependant on how things go with housing by then.

Better fuel efficiency than the micra and wont sound like its struggling either
                  Good choice, to put it simply, It's a VW Golf wrapped up in a Skoda bodyshell.

Comment

Even the body shell is better than was previously being German made, Even the taxi drivers around here have taken a liking to skoda and clock up some impressive miles too.

Comment

Decided on A Fabia.

Seen a Petrol 1.4 with 58k on the clock @ £2895

But i drive 60 miles each way to work so diesel seems to keep on being the better choice.

What to decide??

Comment

Decided on A Fabia.

What to decide??
                        What's wrong with a British car

Comment

What's right with a British one

Comment

Decided on A Fabia.

But i drive 60 miles each way to work so diesel seems to keep on being the better choice.

What to decide??

VW in disguise....

Originally posted by planB View Post

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                            What's right with a British one

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
                              So what is a british car these days, my wife has a toyota that was made in Derby, is that a british car

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
                                So what is a british car these days, my wife has a toyota that was made in Derby, is that a british car
                                We don't have any British cars anymore, and when we did most were rubbish....

Nothing wrong with a UK built Toyota BTW.

Comment

Working...
                                X