GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script What to get as next car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to get as next car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What to get as next car?

Direct Line are not on any of the internet comparison websites and they are really open to haggling over quotes I've been with them for years and we argue over every renewal premium and it always gets reduced

I didn't know about Aviva so I'll try them next time so thanks Jen

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
      I insure my daughter's car (we're both named on the V5/log book) with me as the owner and sole driver, and her as my one "named driver" which keeps the premium really low because I'm an old women in insurance terms with a 40 years No Claims Bonus history

Strictly speaking this is known as "fronting" but what the hell

It's insured with Direct Line which is the only car insurance company which lets a "Named Driver" accumalate a No Claims Bonus of their own so that after 5 years the "Named Driver" can have their own insurance using that full 5 years' No Claims Bonus.

Does your Mum already have a car insured of her own
      yes she does and shes a named driver on my policy to bring it down when i took it out in july although the new quotes i didnt include her on this time which is evem more confusing.

My Insureance would have been £800 paid in 1 but its 80 a month for 10 months with 260 deposit even then thats only £1100 for 22 and 2 accidents recorded too and been driving since July 2011.

from my same insurers for the land rover it was £1500 if paid monthly without my mum on the policy
      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post

My Insureance would have been £800 paid in 1 but its 80 a month for 10 months with 260 deposit even then thats only £1100 for 22 and 2 accidents recorded too and been driving since July 2011.

from my same insurers for the land rover it was £1500 if paid monthly without my mum on the policy

Comment

1 i admit was totally my fault due to being inexperienced
          2nd however i never really had chance to fight about it totally other drivers fault but i was working so much the priority of actually dealing with it went to the bottom of the list.
          I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

I insure my daughter's car (we're both named on the V5/log book) with me as the owner and sole driver, and her as my one "named driver" which keeps the premium really low because I'm an old women in insurance terms with a 40 years No Claims Bonus history

Strictly speaking this is known as "fronting" but what the hell

It's insured with Direct Line which is the only car insurance company which lets a "Named Driver" accumalate a No Claims Bonus of their own so that after 5 years the "Named Driver" can have their own insurance using that full 5 years' No Claims Bonus.

Does your Mum already have a car insured of her own
            If you are fronting and you daughter has a crash, they will find out and the claim will be declinded and you will be both done for insurance fraud!!! I've seen it happen, i'm all for getting the cheapest deal but lying to do it isn't the way forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
              If you are fronting and you daughter has a crash, they will find out and the claim will be declinded and you will be both done for insurance fraud!!! I've seen it happen, i'm all for getting the cheapest deal but lying to do it isn't the way forwards.
              I'm not lying. It's my car and she's a named driver so there's nothing fraudulant about it. We both drive it.

Comment

I'm not lying. It's my car and she's a named driver so there's nothing fraudulant about it. We both drive it.

That is o.k., myself as I have said am the named driver on my daughters car, in the begining it made a lower premium difference to single policy.
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It's is you that said you where fronting, and it doesn't matter who owns the car it's who the main driver is!!!

If you are the main driver ( and they never accept 50/50 because it's never true) then your not fronting so it's not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                    That is o.k., myself as I have said am the named driver on my daughters car, in the beginning it made a lower premium difference to single policy.
                    That is correct being and older named driver on the policy does reduce the rate, but I assume that on this policy she is noted as the main driver.

Myself and my wife are on my daughters policy and it does reduce the premium, but she is the main driver as stated.

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
                      That is correct being and older named driver on the policy does reduce the rate, but I assume that on this policy she is noted as the main driver.

Myself and my wife are on my daughters policy and it does reduce the premium, but she is the main driver as stated.
                      Daughter is the owner /main driver, as said, I am the named driver. That is the way we did it, the amount reduced very quickly over a couple of years, there is/maynot be much difference in the cost if you attached them to naming them as main driver.

Basicallt as we did shopped around for fair price each year, at the outset she was just 18 when she bought her 1st car 5 years ago,.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

You are right, few people nearby started out that way parents main driver siblings named on policy, if an accident it is who was driving at the time is asked, so is the named driver uses the car great extent to the owner so what, they are named on the Policy.

Remember years ago a case when another person was added to a drivers policy, and had been taken the car out prior to being on the policy without owners consent and had an accident (the car being new 3 weeks old), the owner tried to state the accident happened at a future date, (once the driver of the accident was Insured), only bad luck the owner had was that The Insurance Accessor came into a shop I managed and had a meal and we spoke, he asked if anybody was on duty 8 days ago at night, I said we open 7 days a week all year up until 11.30p.m. oh? so the accident the other night was heard, what accident???

That accident outside was 5 weeks ago, I treated the Boy for shock, Oh dear!"!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                          You are right, few people nearby started out that way parents main driver siblings named on policy, if an accident it is who was driving at the time is asked, so is the named driver uses the car great extent to the owner so what, they are named on the Policy.

!"!!
                          No it doesn't work like that when the premium is calculated( I'm old enough to have had to do in manually), one of the main risks is the main drive when calculating the rate, so if you lie and say it's the older person the rate is wrong and you are commiting insurance fraud.

I'm sorry if you can't afford the correct rate without lying the kid should wait until they can. This sort of thing really pee's me off, by doing this , people are doing the same thing to the insurers/brokers as the DCA's etc are doing to us.

I know this view wont be popular but, this sort of thing is one of the reason I'm getting out of the industry.

Comment

The question you're asked is who is owner/driver and who is/will be the named driver. In my case I drove it for the first 5 years while I let my daughter use it at weekends if she was good. Then I used it less and less until June this year when I'm not driving at all due to a 'medical issue' for six months, but that doesn't mean I'm no longer the owner/driver, it simply mens she has to take me everywhere

It may be different if you don't even live in the same city as your kids or they go away to uni and take the car with them.

When I was married I was named on my OH's policy but I did almost all the driving because he liked to drink, but he still owned the car not me.

That's not lying or fraud any more than putting us oldies on the kids' insurance to keep the premium down. When I added her to my policy the premium rocketed and Direct Line said the price was based on the higher risk which was her

She's now been on the policy for 5 years and has accrued a full no claims bonus of her own so at renewal she can have her own cover at a reduced rate

Comment

The question you're asked is who is owner/driver and who is/will be the named driver. In my case I drove it for the first 5 years while I let my daughter use it at weekends if she was good. Then I used it less and less until June this year when I'm not driving at all due to a 'medical issue' for six months, but that doesn't mean I'm no longer the owner/driver, it simply mens she has to take me everywhere

It may be different if you don't even live in the same city as your kids or they go away to uni and take the car with them.

When I was married I was named on my OH's policy but I did almost all the driving because he liked to drink, but he still owned the car not me.

That's not lying or fraud any more than putting us oldies on the kids' insurance to keep the premium down. When I added her to my policy the premium rocketed and Direct Line said the price was based on the higher risk which was her

She's now been on the policy for 5 years and has accrued a full no claims bonus of her own so at renewal she can have her own cover at a reduced rate
                              Look I really can't be bother to argue on this anymore, if you think your right fine. I happen to know you are wrong but if it suit your view of the world thats OK with me. I just dont want some of the younger members getting the wrong idea and doing the wrong thing.

Comment

49 yr old 9 yrs no claims 06 citroen picasso 1.8 autonet insurance £236 complete with rac breakdown cover, legal assistance, personal injury insurance and death cover.

Comment

Working...
                                X