GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Durkin Supreme Court Judgment - 26 March 2014 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Durkin Supreme Court Judgment - 26 March 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durkin Supreme Court Judgment - 26 March 2014

Well in around 20-30 mins the eagerly awaited Durkin (vs HFC/PC World) Supreme Court Judgment should be handed down (09.45am)..

--> http://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/case_2012_0135.html

The key points are:

1. Whether there was a valid loan agreement between the Appellant and the Second Respondent
    2. If there was a valid loan agreement, whether the right to rescind was a "like claim" under s. 75(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974
    Let's see........
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Re: Durkin Supreme Court Judgment - 26 March 2014

http://supremecourt.uk/news/latest-judgments.html
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Soooo he won £8k due to damage to credit status. No £200+ thousand as expected....

Comment

Who has to pay the lawyers' massive legal costs?

Comment

Press Summary -> http://supremecourt.uk/decided-cases...essSummary.pdf

judgment -> http://supremecourt.uk/decided-cases...5_Judgment.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
            Who has to pay the lawyers' massive legal costs?
            That will be decided at appeal won't it? This judgment allows right of appeal. He basically won, the Supreme Court agree that damage was caused to his credit worthiness.

Well done

Comment

Looks very fair and well thought out. I'd have been surprised if they'd allowed the rest of the claim unless there was cast iron proof of loss.

Comment

This was key (from judgment press release)...

HFC did not contest the award of £8,000 for damage to credit if breach of duty were established. However, the Supreme Court rejects Mr Durkin’s attempt to restore the sheriff’s award of damages for the extra interest he paid and for the loss of the capital gain on the Spanish property. Appeals like the present may only be made on matters of law, meaning the Supreme Court cannot go behind the First Division’s findings of fact on these alleged loss.....

Comment

Now one key point is the following (top paragraph)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	1399806

That suggests that a solicitor MUST (under delictual duty) ensure the account is enforceable PRIOR to issuing a claim.

Comment

Would this point have any impact on any cases where the bank loses after a court case. (not been there thankfully so not sure if this gets taken into consideration)

By that I mean they sue and lose on enforceability but then continue to report to the CRA's. Would the above help to squash all trace of the account now?

And indeed if you get any letter from a bank saying its unenforceable wouldnt that now leave them open to a claim if reporting to the CRA's? Seems to sort of go against Carey?

Comment

Bugger me. The forum involved in this case, with the claimant being a user there doesn't understand legal jargon on an ermmm legal forum

--> http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...585#post420585

Good god. Next they'll be saying they're worth £30m

Comment

Originally posted by ken100464 View Post
                        Would this point have any impact on any cases where the bank loses after a court case. (not been there thankfully so not sure if this gets taken into consideration)

By that I mean they sue and lose on enforceability but then continue to report to the CRA's. Would the above help to squash all trace of the account now?

And indeed if you get any letter from a bank saying its unenforceable wouldnt that now leave them open to a claim if reporting to the CRA's? Seems to sort of go against Carey?
                        Well no because only a judge can deem an agreement unenforceable so using the Durkin judgment it'd only affect claims that weren't chasing UE as the underlying provision allows correct and accurate data recording. If you don't pay you still owe it, but choose not to.

In Durkin he rescinded his contract and had no goods. So the default was wrong from outset. He was thus entitled to damages. See the difference?

Comment

Indeed makes much more sense now. Thanks

Comment

BBC --> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-26731192

Comment

Judgement now in web page form on: http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKSC/2014/21.html
                              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                              X