GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Does this mean anything? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this mean anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this mean anything?

Hi,

Hope someone can help. I don't know if I am reading something into nothing, but I've had a couple of letters from Lowell I'm not sure on. They bought the Barclaycard account a few weeks ago. (I had been in dispute with Barclaycard since 2008, but paying token payments 'till 2010, as they only ever sent terms and conditions.)

The first letter mentions checking into my circumstances and whether I have a mortgage or work etc and this will help them decide what action they are going to take against me. I've no money, or mortgage, so nothing to find.

But then I received another one which is a statement of account (haven't received anything like this from Barclaycard themselves in years).
    At the top of it is says it is being issued as required by the Consumer Credit Act because I fell behind with payments under this agreement with the original creditor.

But on the right hand side of it it says
    Credit agreement dated: then the date the account was opened.
    and Credit agreement reference number.
    And, it encloses a leaflet on arrears apparently compiled by the OFT.

Does this mean anything (different to all the other chasing letters I've had over the years I mean)? I'm not sure why, I'm just getting the impression as if they are preparing their paperwork...for something. Or is this just standard from them?

Thanks very much.

Re: Does this mean anything?

Hi Tryingto,
    I wouldn't worry about it. They are just complying with legislation with regards the statement of arrears.
    As your account is new to them they will initially try and get the lay of the land, find out if you own property etc so they can assess how to approach you. Telling you that they're doing it is a form of intimidation, calculated to make you worry and pay up. Don't give them that satisfaction.

The fact that you don't own property will dull their enthusiasm

Shep x
    Last edited by Undercover Elsa; 20 July 2012, 09:37.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it, they're pretty standard letters.
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks very much Shep & Pixie.

Ah, do you know, I've never had any statements like that in years...so if all the others are supposed to...they haven't (but I sure won't contact them to tell them!).

That's great, then. It's just when I saw they were mentioning credit agreement numbers, and dates on the statement, I've definitely never had that on anything before so I was starting to panic.

Absolutely, I'm not worth going after, nothing to my name, never mind a property. But then again, even when I was on token payments for years, and they knew my circumstances, it didn't stop them trying.

Comment

I have had a barclaycard for over 6 years and i can't find one single statement from them, infact when i sent off for the cca i only had the ref number because its on payplanplus .

Comment

It's not just me then. Did you actually get a CCA from them then?

All I ever got were terms and conditions, although Lowell say that Barclaycard say (!) they sent something which met their obligations in 2010.

They used to send statements initially and when I was on token payments, but nothing else for years. Plenty of debt letters mind.

I think I just started to put two and two together and get ten when Lowell mentioned 'credit agreement' several times on one of the letters. Date credit agreement taken out, and credit agreement reference number.

I've honestly never seen that before and I just started to think they were potentially trying to pull things together to make it look like something it wasn't.

Comment

stop stressing, you'll never get a cca - this is UE and will always be UE
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Niddy. Yep, need to chill. Will do my best to ignore Lowell. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X