Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!

I'm hoping someone can advise me which way to go with a credit card ....

We started a DMP with CCCS on the 01.02.10, when we started the DMP we had an account with Barclaycard with a small balance of around £250.

This card has now got a balance of £550 as Barclaycard never stopped adding on charges and interest, the account also has PPI on it, so at the beginning of this year I wrote to them asking them to stop interest and charges and cancel and refund the PPI (I now know I didn't do this the right way, but we live and learn!)

They wrote back last month (took them long enough) saying 'No - we won't refund you, and enclosed a copy of the original application form where it had indeed been signed to say the PPI was wanted. They have now stopped the PPI on the account, although not in January when I wrote to them but in April when they wrote to me!

The thing that has really got me about this account is the balance has doubled in 18 months, currently they are charging me a £12 late payment charge, £12 over limit charge and around £8 interest

In short I don't know which way to go with this account, the account was opened in June 2003, I'm going down the UE route with my other debts - but don't know what to do with this one, do I try for UE, bearing in mind this debt is growing at the rate it is, or try a reclaim for charges (surely these must be unreasonable?) or push my luck with the PPI even though it was signed on the application form?

Thanks in advance x

Re: Help!!

Originally posted by jaci View Post
    I'm hoping someone can advise me which way to go with a credit card ....

We started a DMP with CCCS on the 01.02.10, when we started the DMP we had an account with Barclaycard with a small balance of around £250.

This card has now got a balance of £550 as Barclaycard never stopped adding on charges and interest, the account also has PPI on it, so at the beginning of this year I wrote to them asking them to stop interest and charges and cancel and refund the PPI (I now know I didn't do this the right way, but we live and learn!)

They wrote back last month (took them long enough) saying 'No - we won't refund you, and enclosed a copy of the original application form where it had indeed been signed to say the PPI was wanted. They have now stopped the PPI on the account, although not in January when I wrote to them but in April when they wrote to me!

The thing that has really got me about this account is the balance has doubled in 18 months, currently they are charging me a £12 late payment charge, £12 over limit charge and around £8 interest

In short I don't know which way to go with this account, the account was opened in June 2003, I'm going down the UE route with my other debts - but don't know what to do with this one, do I try for UE, bearing in mind this debt is growing at the rate it is, or try a reclaim for charges (surely these must be unreasonable?) or push my luck with the PPI even though it was signed on the application form?

Thanks in advance x

Hi there

First of all in regards of the interest and charges, if they keep refusing on stopping these, then I would write the next letter and threaten them with further action, such as with the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
    Tell them if they fail to do this, the the debt is going to rise further which can be avoided.
    The next letter you receive if they fail, then do make that complaint to the FOS.

For example, when I was in difficulties/hardship, the bank kept refusing to freeze the interest/charges, so I made a complaint to the FOS on a fast track basis, where finally the bank accepted the decision made by the FOS to freeze and to refund the amount since first asking them to do this, and stated if they had agreed then further debt could have been avoided, so basically the bank had to refund what they charged on the interest/charges back to the account which reduces the debt, and I received £100 cheque payment for the distress and inconvenience caused.

The banks have a duty to treat customers fairly and should be understanding at difficult times, they have failed to do this, so mention this as well.

In regards of the PPI, tell them its totally worthless to you now anyway and again its debt added to the account which your unable to use.
    I would also threaten to complain to the FOS on this one as well as maybe a separate issue.

Comment

When I wrote to them originally about this they completely ignored the bit about me being on a DMP and concentrated on the PPI part, but ended it along the lines of ... this is the final response if you're not happy go to ombudsman ... so would I still need to write to them again as they totally ignored the first request/?

Comment

When I wrote to them originally about this they completely ignored the bit about me being on a DMP and concentrated on the PPI part, but ended it along the lines of ... this is the final response if you're not happy go to ombudsman ... so would I still need to write to them again as they totally ignored the first request/?

Hiya

If this was dealt with within the last 6 months then yes continue with the FOS now.

Comment

Took me a while but have just filled in the form for this will be posting tomorrow - will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again x

Comment

Took me a while but have just filled in the form for this will be posting tomorrow - will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again x

The best of luck. x

Comment

Just thought I'd update ...

Have received letter back from Ombudsman, saying they're looking into it.

Am now getting payment requests from Mercers (I'm not currently paying this - cancelled my DMP so no-ones getting anything at the minute!)

Comment

If Mercers contact you by phone, tell them everything to be in writing as account is in dispute with OC.

If they write again, it would be worth sending the letter in the templates saying it's in dispute and please return to OC.

Comment

Originally posted by caspar View Post
                  If Mercers contact you by phone, tell them everything to be in writing as account is in dispute with OC.

If they write again, it would be worth sending the letter in the templates saying it's in dispute and please return to OC.
                  They won't be ringing me ... I changed phone number yonks ago and 'forgot' to tell them

Comment

Had 2 replies from the ombudsman on this last week. One for the PPI - say's they're looking into it but could take a year due to the amount of complaints they're getting. The other was about the charges said they've passed the complaint back to Barclaycard as I never got a response from them, they've always choose to ignore me - maybe they won't ignore me when the complaint is sent via Ombudsman??

Just incase anyone's interested the balance on this ones now around £700, from starting a DMP around 18 months ago with a balance of around £250.

Comment

Thank you for posting your update Jaci.

The usual response from the FOS.

If your in financial difficulties, have you requested for fast tracking? x

The balance have come down quite a bit then, well done!

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                        If your in financial difficulties, have you requested for fast tracking? x

The balance have come down quite a bit then, well done!
                        Haven't requested fast tracking, never heard of it. Not paying them anyway for the time being.

Think you may have misread my last post, the balance has gone up a wee bit

Comment

Haven't requested fast tracking, never heard of it. Not paying them anyway for the time being.

Think you may have misread my last post, the balance has gone up a wee bit

Hi

Yes I did mis-read, just went to take another look, sorry.

That's strange, I assumed if on a DMP, they freeze the interest/charges, so it should be coming down and not up, maybe Niddy will have something to say about this.

If your in financial hardship, the FOS will consider fast tracking your case, it still takes a while but not as long.
                          You explain your difficulties and send them any copies of letters that may help, as your on a payment plan that is one of them anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X