GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script UN reasonable Bank Charges what next? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UN reasonable Bank Charges what next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UN reasonable Bank Charges what next?

Hi All.
    I am helping my brother in law out with this one your opinions and help as always greatly received.
    He was a customer with LLOYDS/TSB he had an overdraft of £1250 he remained in and out of the O/D and paid the normal charges for borrowing within the O/D.
    He was £321 in the overdraft (in debt) when he wanted to close the account as they were rubbish. He paid the £321 and was told the account was closed.
    A month later they added £4.32 in interest for the £321 however they never told him this when he closed the account and they never wrote to him. They then stung him £75 for un-arranged borrowing.
    Again the next month they added £2.34 for the O/D interest and then £135 for unarranged borrowing.
    This went on for two months when they finally told him he owed them £217.85. He could not afford to pay it so they allowed him to pay £40 and they would waive the charges for the next month however they continued charging him unarranged borrowing fees.
    The total that was owed in the end was £725. He borrowed the money from parents and paid it they said again they had closed the account and again a month later charged him for the O/D interest and un-arranged borrowing although they stated the account was closed.
    He even went into his branch where the cashier tried to help but stated as he was dealing with them on-line she couldn’t help but even she admitted they were rubbish.
    He has SAR them and received all the statements where it is clear what they have been charging.
    What shall he do next shall he complain to the FOS or are there any template letters he could send.
    He unfortunately made the mistake of dealing with them on the phone and not in writing.

Thanks
    Batchy_21

Re: UN reasonable Bank Charges what next?

I dont think anyone can really advise until the SAR comes through.

My suggestion (and some may argue otherwise) would be to wait and see what is in the SAR, if the details above are backed up, I would email the CEO first, point all the above out and that is confirmed in the account notes (assuming it is)

Then ask that it is sorted out forthwith, requesting refunds of the additional monies paid. Possibly even ask for compensation due to the stress caused.

EDIT - I would also suggest that that they can deal with ot in branch just as easily as on the phone. Its a bullshit arguement, they all have the same access. Barclays use the reverse and say certain things can only be dealt/discused in branch.

SECOND EDIT (lol) - just re-read that and noticed you have the SAR - do you have all the account notes as well as the statements?
    Last edited by oscar; 13 August 2011, 21:18.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Oscar,

Thanks for your help.
      The SAR just has the account details and money paid in charges etc.

It has just been printed straight off their screen. Nothing else was sent
      Hope that helps

Comment

If you have paid £10 and specifically asked for SAR tehn they should have sent EVERYTHING they have on your brother.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yep i thought so as Natwest did for me. I will ask him to re contact them. In the meantime i will get him to email the CEO.
          Do you have details of the CEO ??

Comment

Just so happens I emailed him (her?) last week.
            antonio.osorio@lloydsbanking.com

Comment

LOL bet their busy then !!!

Thanks

Comment

Hi All

As discussed above with oscar. I checked and we sent the standard SAR letter asking for all information held LLOYDS/TSB only sent six years of statements and nothing else.
                I have been trying to find a template letter for the SAR not complied with but cant find one anyone know where one is???
                Thanks

Comment

We have this that you'd edit to suit. The principle is the same; ie they should send EVERYTHING not just 6yrs. Why didn't you send advanced SAR?

---> Unenforceability Templates - Section 3
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Regards to charges, it's bad what they've done but it's trailing interest from the previous overdrawn balance which ALL banks take into account so usually if you request closure they wait until after the next charging period to reduce any trailing interest etc.

As he was always accruing more interest they'd never have been able to close it and your brother should also have known that charges are added a month in arrears; ie if he was o/d between Jan 1st - Jan 31st with a statement date of 15th; on 15th feb statement they'd notify him of charges due in 14 / 28 days and then deduct it as per that letter. This is normal.

Ergo to close the account he'd have had to have kept some cash in it to cover the interest due after 15th feb at which point there would be no more trailing interest or charges so they'd close it.

Sorry, you can try reclaim charges but don't expect miracles as the bank have followed standard processes; albeit extortionately.
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi Niddy
                      Hope your well

Too be honest i didnt even know there was an advanced SAR. I just thought there was the normal standard one. I did ask them for everything but it was probably too much trouble for them. !!!

Thanks for the link

Comment

See my last post mate

Comment

didnt see your post above thanks for that.
                          He just seemed slightly annoyed there was no mention of having to keep money in the account to cover any charges and they eventually told him a few months down the line. How they can justify £175 in fees for £4.32 is beyond me.
                          I will give it a bash and see how i get on
                          cheers

Comment

That's the idea, go for unfair charges - best of luck

Comment

Hi All

Well long story short. I emailed and sent off a letter to Lloyds TSB on behalf of my brother in law. I followed the un-fair charges route as Niddy advised. He recieved a phone call from Llyods admitting they had been wrong and were very sorry.
                              He received a letter stating the same with a cheque for £1100 including some compo to say sorry the unfair charges were just over £750 so we did ok!!! and i got some beers for my troubles so all good !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X