GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Unsecured debt - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unsecured debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsecured debt

Thank you for accepting me to the group.

Some years ago now, I had a mental breakdown, I didn't work for a year, and I lived on credit cards/overdraft/loans.

I understand that I borrowed the money and I need to repay it.

I'm on a debt management plan, with step change.

This is very helpful and I have recently cleared one debt off by coming to an agreement with them.

I was told last week that after 6 years of running the DMP, I could in effect walk away from all the unsecured debts. I'm not sure that this information is correct, as the debt is still live. Could I be taken to court?

Could a charge be put on our home? Could bailiffs knock on the door?

Please could you clarify for me.

Re: Unsecured debt

After 6 years of no payments / acknowledgment then it could be Statute Barred. But if you've been paying then all you did was waste 6 years of your life sadly. You're correct - you can't just walk away but you CAN go through enforceability if you fancy fighting back & taking control?

Bailiffs cannot come unless the creditor gets a judgment against you; likewise a charge. They must first get a CCJ. We don't let that happen to our members
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Tonybluto View Post
      Some years ago now, I had a mental breakdown, I didn't work for a year, and I lived on credit cards/overdraft/loans.

I understand that I borrowed the money and I need to repay it.
      Hello Tonybluto and to AAD.

I reckon you've paid your debts back many times over if you've been paying through a DMP for years. The creditors will have added interest and charges along the way before you reached agreement to freeze all that. You've no need to feel you ought to pay anymore if you don't have to. They've had their money.

Were any of these accounts opened before April 2007?

If you could list them on this thread one debt per post using this format it will help us to identify the ones which have the potential to be unenforceable.

• Type of account (credit card/loan)
      • Date commenced (ideally before April 2007)
      • Approx balance
      • Date last paid (approximate date you last made a FULL payment)
      • Are you on arrangement or not paying
      • Status (default/in arrears/up-to-date)
      • Account owner (who is writing to you, a DCA or the lender)

Have a read of this thread so you get a feel of how we work together as a community to help others in debt (I've got loads!) http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...ll=1#post72328

Plan B x

Comment

Thank you for replying so quickly,
        I will act on this matter as fast as I can, but, due to the holiday season, it will take a little time to access the information.
        Thanks again

Comment

You are very much in the right place, our wonderful team will help you, the rest of us are here to support you .So if you need some hugs we're here .xx
          if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you for replying so quickly,
            I will act on this matter as fast as I can, but, due to the holiday season, it will take a little time to access the information.
            Thanks again
            Don't worry - obviously the sooner you can then the sooner we can help you.....

There is no rush if you're happy paying the DMP of course. You have me on Faceblurb so if you get stuck give me a shout
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

It is scary, but I do feel I'm in the right place. Thank you all so much.
              Nanna thanks for the hugs.

Comment

Er what the hell is faceblurb ????

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
                  Er what the hell is faceblurb ????
                  That blue thing that a rich American kid owns..... Facebook

Comment

Comment

It is scary, but I do feel I'm in the right place. Thank you all so much.
                      Nanna thanks for the hugs.
                      It is scary at first but that changes when you start to stand up to them. You'll get lots of support in doing that on here!
                      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Working...
                      X