GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script credit card cheques - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

credit card cheques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• credit card cheques

Had a spare 1/2 hour so I thought I would have a browse through the consumer credit act 1974 HERE

I came across this..

[F151ARestrictions on provision of credit card cheques

(1)A person who provides credit card cheques otherwise than in accordance with this section commits an offence.
    (2)Credit card cheques may be provided only to a person who has asked for them.
    (3)They may be provided only on a single occasion in respect of each request that is made.
    (4)The number of cheques provided in respect of a request must not exceed three (or, if less, the number requested).
    (5)Where a single request is made for the provision of credit card cheques in connection with more than one credit-token agreement, subsections (3) and (4) apply as if a separate request had been made in relation to each agreement.
    (6)Where more than one request for the provision of cheques is made in the same document or at the same time—
    (a)they may be provided in respect of only one of the requests, but
    (b)if the requests relate to more than one credit-token agreement, in relation to each agreement they may be provided only in respect of one of the requests made in relation to that agreement.
    (7)“Credit card cheque” means a cheque (whether or not drawn on a banker) which, whenever used, will result in the provision of credit under a credit-token agreement.
    (8)Accordingly, “credit card cheque” does not include a cheque to be used only in connection with a current account.]

Just a thought.......

Is there any mileage in this for people fighting the CC companies that they were provided cc cheques without asking for them ?
    Reclaiming interest paid, or the value of the spend not being a legal part of the agreement or some such thing ?

Not sure if/how it could be used but I know I spent a crapload of cc money using these things, never asked for them but used most of the ones I had been given (they were usually at the bottom of the statements or send separately at random intervals).

Or am I drugs for bringing this up
    Last edited by Bricktop; 21 June 2012, 20:55.

Re: credit card cheques

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
    Is there any mileage in this for people fighting the CC companies that they were provided cc cheques without asking for them ?
    within the card T's & C's it'd usually clearly state if cheques were to be issued which usually covers it i.e. "you agree from time to time that we can send you cheques to use against your account...."

I would presume this covers them against s.51(a)
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Damn !

When I send you my T&C's over make sure that is in there, some of those cheques I wrote were for £1,000's

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
        Damn !

When I send you my T&C's over make sure that is in there, some of those cheques I wrote were for £1,000's
        I'm saying I presume that to be the case, however with the CCA one act is never the end result, they all interwine and others will supercede the condition that is s.51. It's not something I ever look at cos it holds little, if no, weight against any form of fight.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I think it is now illegal to send them unless they are specifically asked for. Have a feeling it was a while back though.

Comment

MBNA drops credit card cheques | Money | The Guardian

Comment

Just had visions of....

Dear Credit Card Co, I know I 'might' owe you £7k but as I spent £4k of that on cc cheques and another £3k is interest on those unasked for cheques, you can swivel.

or am I doing that anyway via the unenforceability route

Comment

Isn't this an addition to the act. I.e not originally there but recently added?
                I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
                  Isn't this an addition to the act. I.e not originally there but recently added?
                  Quite possibly. I just have a vague memory of reading it somewhere - I may be wrong.

Comment

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...?timeline=true Section 51 CCA with showing to changes highlighted in link below

linked to this here

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/28/section/15 Financial Services Act 2010
                    Last edited by kilasuit; 21 June 2012, 21:26.
                    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Comment

Gosh - I knew it was a while ago, didn't realise it was that long! I'm beginning to get restored faith in my memory!

Comment

Does issuing credit card cheques make it a multiple agreement?

You have a credit card that is of restricted use to companies that accept it, but the cc cheque is unrestricted use to anyone.

Just a thought.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by alangee View Post
                          Does issuing credit card cheques make it a multiple agreement?

You have a credit card that is of restricted use to companies that accept it, but the cc cheque is unrestricted use to anyone.

Just a thought.

Alan
                          No as there not restricted in the sense of only being able to use in 1 store (store cards) plus Credit cards are universally accepted worldwide.

Comment

Thats true, but, there are many places that do not accept American Express, but I could purchase from them by using an Amex cheque. Thus turning my Amex account from restricted to unrestricted.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by alangee View Post
                              Thats true, but, there are many places that do not accept American Express, but I could purchase from them by using an Amex cheque. Thus turning my Amex account from restricted to unrestricted.

Alan
                              Again thats not defined as restricted

for a credit product to be restricted it would need to only be acceptable at a select few retailers for example my old comet store card could only be used in a comet store hence it was restricted

An Amex may be less widely accepted than Visa or Mastercard but its not restricted at all

Comment

Working...
                              X