GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script An old debt - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An old debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An old debt

Hi - newbie query

I've got an unusual situation (or perhaps not). I have old credit card debt from about late 80's early 90's. I lost my job and the the ccc agreed to allow me to pay £1 and freeze interest.
    This payment is still on-going although until just recently I'd forgotten all about it, and have had no further contact with the CCC.

After a few address moves, a spell out of the country etc. this address, to which this debt is attached, is not attached in anyway to my current address. My credit history shows no reference to the old address or this debt.

The reason for my post is that I've had a 'soft' letter from a DCA asking if I had ever lived at this previous address. Getting this has surprised me after 15 yrs or so of hearing nothing etc.
    I have just ignored this and heard nothing further.

Should I continue to pay the £1 or month or should I cancel.

i believe I received a default notice at the time of the arrears about 15 yrs ago - if the worst comes to the worst and the DCA send a demand, would I obtain a further default when they update my CRA history.

Lastly, should I ask then to prove the debt or is this pointless as they can show i have been paying (or can they??).

I realise nothing has happened as such yet, but any advice would be helpful.
    Last edited by Fraser01; 14 April 2012, 19:35.

Re: An old debt

Hi & welcome.

Firstly, no a new default cannot be added for the same debt. This will have dropped off your credit file after 6 years.

When did you last make a payment towards this?

Personally i would stop payments to allow it to become statute barred, this would be 6 years from last payment.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

I'm still paying this, and have done for years. It was only when the 'fishing' letter arrived, that I remebered about it.As per your advice I'll cancel it.

What's the score with these letters - are they grasping at straws after all this time or in your experience do you think I'm likely to get a demand?

Comment

If you've had a letter from a DCA, who are you still paying and (out of interest) how are these payments being made?

I've recently dealt with a similar situation for a friend of mine who had been paying a Natwest debt (eventually bought by Westcot) for the past 15 years @ £5 a month. This was challenged some time ago and not surprisingly, she's not heard a peep since from anyone.
        Remember the mantra:
        NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
        Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
        Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
          If you've had a letter from a DCA, who are you still paying and (out of interest) how are these payments being made?

I've recently dealt with a similar situation for a friend of mine who had been paying a Natwest debt (eventually bought by Westcot) for the past 15 years @ £5 a month. This was challenged some time ago and not surprisingly, she's not heard a peep since from anyone.
          I'm stlll paying the original lender by the original standing order i setup years ago. Did your friend cancel her payments. How was she challenged ? Did she just deny the debt.?

Comment

Originally posted by Fraser01 View Post
            I'm stlll paying the original lender by the original standing order i setup years ago. Did your friend cancel her payments. How was she challenged ? Did she just deny the debt.?
            If you're still paying the original lender, then no DCA should be contacting you anyway..... unless it's been sold and no-one's told you.

I'll need to sift through my friend's paperwork to find out what hers was but from recollection, I think it was an overdraft....

The letter they received from me asked for a breakdown of how they accounted for the alleged outstanding balance after all these years..... blah, blah, blah..... and requested a complete breakdown of everything. It would have been a complete headache for them to respond to if they'd tried.... but they didn't.

I'd be inclined to stop paying this just to see who gets in touch with you about it, to be honest. You can then take things from there (with out help).
            Remember the mantra:
            NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
            Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
            Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
            X