GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Default advice required please - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Default advice required please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default advice required please

Hi all,

Newbie to posting but I've spent a while browsing here so I feel like I know a few people already

Sorry to be needy and asking for stuff with my first post but I can't figure out the best course of action so thought some kind souls might offer their opinions...

A while ago I was living WAY beyond my means and ran up a lot of debt. With hindsight I realise I was just plain stupid but it's a lesson learned. I've since been living like a pauper paying things back and whilst not debt free yet everything is at least under control and I have a reasonable amount of disposable income again.

My problem lies with one particular debt - an overdraft on a current account with Natwest which I opened in Aug 2010. I used it all up and then ignored it making only a couple of token payments between then and when I entered into a payment arrangement in Nov 2012. The arrangement was to pay back the full amount owed (£1200) by the end of February 2013. I had a bonus due then which would have paid that off but which unfortunately arrived late (today). I broke the arrangement and Natwest defaulted then terminated the account on the 07th March and the 01st April respectively.

I've got no intention of taking out any finance any time soon so the default on my credit record doesn't concern me from that point of view but I had offered to act as guarantor for a friend when she needs to remortgage in three months. Long story short - she's had a very rough time of things over the last three years or so and I don't want to let her down by not being able to help with the mortgage because of a default.

I've read quite a few threads on here about it not being possible to get a default removed but then others which suggest asking for that in a full and final offer - I was just wondering if someone could clarify if that ever works? I've now got the money to settle the debt in full so will happily do so if it would help. The debt is with Triton at the moment who I believe are Natwest's in house recovery people.

If getting the default removed is not possible then I was wondering if paying it off quickly makes any difference to future lenders?

On phone calls to them when arranging the repayment I happily admitted that I owed the debt so requesting a copy of my CCA etc probably isn't a goer and, although I can't remember receiving a default notice, they have told me over the phone the date that they sent it and I'd be inclined to believe they did send one.

I suspect that I probably just need to accept the default and work on making sure the rest of my report is good. In that case does anyone know who Triton sell the debt to and are they (or Triton) likely to accept a lower settlement amount than the outstanding debt? (if they do then would that be visible on my credit report? i.e. 'partially settled' or similar as opposed to just 'settled'). Anything I save on that can reduce the rest of my debts for maybe another couple of points on my score...

Sorry for the long winded post and many questions - I've been daft for it to get to this stage but am grateful for any answers

Thanks!

Re: Default advice required please

Hiya

Well you've answered your own question, you want to be a guarantor for someone against a mortgage so you need a clean credit file. However the fact you're struggling with a £1200 overdraft must force me to ask, what happens if your friend doesn't complete the mortgage? 25 years is a long time and a lot can happen.

yea I could help you settle the OD and get the Default removed but ideally you'd need to take a screen print of the entry on your credit file now and email it me so I can see what the real status is and how it looks. If it was all green [0]'s upto March with a D in April then we could sort that with an offer.

Let me know. I would seriously rethink this silly guarantor agreement - seriously, it's absolutely bonkers. The fact a guarantor is necessary shows the risk is extremely high.

You say it's gone to Try-it-On so I suspect that there are a few late payment markers already registered as a bank doesn't just sell a debt, it needs to be quite in arrears or in default first.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi Niddy and thanks for the quick reply

Just to clear up the guarantor issue - the mortgage is for a buy to let - it's one house that has seven flats in it which more than cover the repayment mortgage and the loan to value is only about 60% so there is very little chance I would ever be called on to help with payments. Worst case is that the property would be sold if needed. The mortgage broker has said that she can't use the rent from the flats as the sole source of income though and needs someone with a salary to act as guarantor - hence where I come in. I've also paid off enough debt now where I do have enough disposable income to cover the mortgage if it were to ever come to that.

I'm not now struggling with the £1200 for the overdraft I've just been an idiot to let it get to the stage it has done and the default is, frankly, deserved. If it was just me then I'd take it on the chin and learn from the experience but I really want to do anything I can to avoid it affecting my friend.

I've got a screenshot of my credit report - will email that to you as soon as I post this. There are lots of red bits (as I admitted in the original post I ignored it until setting up the arrangement last November which I then promptly messed even that up )

Thanks in advance for your help! I appreciate any advice at all.
      Last edited by fudgeit; 3 May 2013, 20:23.

Comment

Ok let me check the CRA entry - brb
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

As an update - despite Niddy's best efforts it appears that I've just been a bit of a daft bugger and there's not much that can be done about the default... it was worth asking at least

Thanks for taking the time to look at things Niddy - a great forum you have here!

Comment

Originally posted by fudgeit View Post
            As an update - despite Niddy's best efforts it appears that I've just been a bit of a daft bugger and there's not much that can be done about the default... it was worth asking at least

Thanks for taking the time to look at things Niddy - a great forum you have here!
            Hey it's always worth asking - but sadly on this you're at a dead-end

Comment

Working...
            X