GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Talk Talk/Buchanan clark + wells - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk Talk/Buchanan clark + wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk Talk/Buchanan clark + wells

Hi, although this is my first post, I have followed Niddy et al from MSE to here and feel like I know so many of you already ;Hi
    I apologise in advance for the length of this post but basically I'd like to know what my next move should be, I know what I'd like to do but I'm not sure if I should/could ;Sh All will become clearer, I promise ;Red

Here goes lol

We had an account with Talk Talk for appx 10 years and were happy in the main, paid our bill on time and were what we considered good customers. Our contract meant that we could make free calls to all landline numbers at any time of day, any day of the week, as long as we hung up after 60mins and redialed it worked well.
    In April of this year, our 12yo daughter got a boyfriend,(bless), and was phoning him several times an evening, now we checked with her she was calling a landline number and made sure she hung up after 60 mins, trusting she was and keeping an eye on her time on the phone, we were happy.
    Then the bill arrived ;EEK what was usually appx £25 had become £183.00 ;EEK and yes we could see our daughter had infact been calling her boyfriends mobile Don't worry, appropriate action was taken and daughter learnt her lesson, however the problem was we really couldn't afford to pay the whole amount. So we contacted Talk Talk, a nightmare in itself! We explained what had happened and asked if we could pay an increased monthly DD, I think we offered £10 on top of a normal monthly bill, this would then reduce the outstanding and pay for our normal service. Talk Talk refused the offer, stating that they do not offer payment plans! The the red bills starting arriving , threats of disconnection etc. Then we recieve a letter from BCW for the outstanding amount. We rang them and explained the whole story to them and asked if we could pay £30 per month to which they agreed if I could give them a payment there and then, so I said that was fine and proceeded to give them my card details, before the transaction was completed they advised me that there would be a £2 charge added for paying by card I know, not a lot but it was the principle that really peed me off! So I declined the transaction but sent them a chq and a covering letter which was duly cashed, so I thought we were getting somewhere, and had intended to make future payments on line as they had given me the details etc I needed. Low and behold within days of the payment being made, Talk Talk disconnected us So no internet and no landline, fortunately we had a seperate landline with BT, (long story and irrelevant to this), so I again contacted Talk Talk explained I had an arrangement with BCW so could they please reconnect me? No, not untill the outstanding bill was paid and to rub salt in the wound, my OH and I both work from home online and are paid weekly, stupid Talk Talk had effectively made us employed and could not grasp that no income meant no bills could be paid including this one! We managed to arrange BB through BT but it takes 10 days to set up, so still unable to work for all that time was frustrating and worrying. By now I was sooooo angry with Talk Talk that I felt they could damn well wait for their money now and I would be quite happy to go to CCJ if necessary, this was all back in July and we hadn't heard from them since, well it's not like they can hassle us by phone, they don't have the new number lol but it seems they have tried to contact us on the disconnected line and are at a loss to understand why we have not responded to any messages they have left ;D A week or so ago we did recieve an email asking us to get in touch, yeah ok lol, then yesterday we recieved a letter entitled VISIT BY INVESTIGATION OFFICER now we know about these empty threats, actually I would quite enjoy it if they did send someone lol. Anyway we already have the template letter to stop them in their tracks, however, and this is where OH and I differ in opinion. OH wants to offer £10 per month at this stage, however, I would rather not lol, I feel that BCW prob wouldn't bother getting a CCJ for this amount, but even if they did, the repayment would prob be less than £10 per month. Am I cutting of my nose to spite my face? It's not that we don't want to settle, I am just so frustrated and angry with the whole thing that if there's a way of sticking two fingers up at them then thats what I want to do. We would really appreciate anyones thoughts on this. Thanks for reading, I hope I haven't given you a headache lol

Re: Talk Talk/Buchanan clark + wells

I think the biggest problem here is that you could end up being defaulted, is your credit file clean? If so, then attempt to pay (talk talk don't give monthly feeds as cca exempt but they do report defaults if it occurs). Otherwise, consider complaining to the ombudsman, as TalkTalk should have notified you if your bill exceeded the usual monthly value, for instance if you had a mobile and usually spent £30 per month, if one month you hit £100 they would temporarily disconnect you from external calls until you contact them - it was both a security and customer service facility that does work..... had they done similar, then you could have capped the daughters sillyness at £100 or whatever their cut-off point was. Point is, for a normal £25 bill to escalate into one at 10 times that value, rouses suspicion and you should consider a complaint to the ombudsman - witholding money will achieve little, TalkTalk have been on watchdog more than BT - quite surprising considering BT is 100 years older!

I'd pay it, at a rate that suits you - and forget them, wise choice to get rid - sometimes cheap aint always the best!
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thankyou Niddy, tbh I didn't really think not paying was an option and have already got a letter and offer ready to post, I may however still complain to the ombudsman as Talk Talk certainly did not raise any alarm previous to sending out the bill. Do you think there is a chance that I could claim loss of earnings from Talk Talk? We lost appx £500 in earnings due to them disconnecting our broadband.

Comment

I don't think you'll be able to claim for business losses through a personal BB supply - I used to have similar set-up and paid for exclusive 1-1 BT BB package meaning I was not sharing a feed with anyone else, that set-up came with insurance and an SLA from BT confirming that if their systems went down i'd be entitled to XXX - residential billing accounts do not have the same and no, you'd not be able to claim loss of earnings - most BB terms confirm that the service is not to be used as buisness one....

however ask them for compo, start around £250 - any higher, you'll struggle.... your reasons are NOT loss of earnings, but hassle, stress, not being able to correspond with a people etc etc - basically consequential damages is what you're after here....
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Mmmmm I like it Thankyou again ;K7

Comment

Hi Niddy, me again ;Red
            I have written, re written and re written this letter so many times but I just cannot get it to sound right ;Red I know you are really busy but wondered if you had a template or rough guide of how to word this that I could use? Please, there's no panic, but if/when you get 5 mins I'd be very grateful.

Comment

Hiya

Try reading this: http://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/compensation-policy

That will help you determine what to do and the processes involved. I really can't get drawn into this right now, post back if you're stuck and i'll see what I can do - but can't promise anything right now!

Comment

Any update on this Missy? gh

Comment

Working...
                X