GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Apex- can they do this? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apex- can they do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apex- can they do this?

So Apex wrote to my old address (previous to where I am now) trying to locate me (funny when they have had correspondance from me in my current addy)

Anyway the ppl forwarded the letter to me *after opening* it says

We are looking for Mrs Jen_br of (insert new addy here)

call us if your her or not her etc.

But like surely thats giving away my personal details no?

Re: Apex- can they do this?

What name was on the envelope? Because if it was addressed to "you" then shame on anyone else who opened and read it. But if it said "the occupier" then you've every right to be livid and go after them for DPA breaches.

Comment

What does it actually say?

Does it say that they are chasing a debt?

Who was it addressed to?

The OFT/ICO usually considers tracing letters to the "occupier" to be OK if they are something on the lines of this.

Dear Mr John Doe

Date 20th February 2010

Re: Customer Name/Last known address

We are attempting to contact the above named person regarding a personal matter and we have been provided your address as a possible address for our subject/customer.

If you are the person named above,please contact our office on telephone XXXXXXX

If however you are not the person named above, please accept our apologies for this contact.

If you are able to supply us with information on where our subject may now reside, we would welcome contact from you so that we may update our records appropriately.

Yours sincerely
      That wouldn't be a DPA/OFT breach in itself.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

To add....

Obviously sending a trace letter when they have your current address is not acceptable, but depending on what is says may not be a DPA breach.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Says the above Riz, thing is APex have an OD im paying off through them with a CURRENT DD therefore they know who and where I am....

but they have been sold a UE debt from lloyds -- and ive told them off... and now they are sending people this letter. Thing is UGH these people live across from my inlaws so as you can imagine.....

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
            Says the above Riz, thing is APex have an OD im paying off through them with a CURRENT DD therefore they know who and where I am....

but they have been sold a UE debt from lloyds -- and ive told them off... and now they are sending people this letter. Thing is UGH these people live across from my inlaws so as you can imagine.....
            It could be someone trying to contact you to pay you!

(Yes, chance would be a fine thing.........but the inlaws don't know that!)

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
              The OFT/ICO usually considers tracing letters to the "occupier" to be OK if they are something on the lines of this.
              We are attempting to contact the above named person regarding a personal matter and we have been provided your address as a possible address for our subject/customer.
              That wouldn't be a DPA/OFT breach in itself.
              That largely shews just how utterly stupid the Office of Faffing and Twaddling, and the Indolent Commissioner's Office can be, when they really set their minds to it. Why else should a bank or other financial institution wish to contact a customer "regarding a personal matter", if not to demand payment?

Idiots.

Comment

Send the jerks a link to:

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                  It could be someone trying to contact you to pay you!
                  Correct. I've seen a few ones recently with very DCA sounding names doing just that.

Payouts regarding old pension schemes, inheritances etc where they've lost touch with the person.

So they use a tracing firm.

I've had one of those come through the door a couple of years ago. Wasn't me that was owed the money unfortunately.
                  Last edited by Riz; 7 October 2011, 07:46.

Comment

Unless you can prove it's deliberately intended to be embarrassing, rather than an admin fook up their end, then probably not a lot of mileage in complaining to anywhere like OFT, ts etc...

Might be worth complaining to Apex if you are still being hassled, and saying you will take it further, but I somehow doubt they would do much more than say "Oh dear, we made a mistake on that account. Never mind.". But you never know?

Comment

True..Tracesmart wear two hats...finding debtors and finding lost pension scheme members. We had a contact from them asking my OH to contact them for a "brief data protection interview to establish your identity for our client". They named a former employer, but I still wouldn't let him contact them as then they'd have us on their nasty little systems.
                      Contacted employer direct, got nice pension windfall with Tracesmart non the wiser

Comment

Just looked at their website...one of their services is "Mortality Screening"

Think they've been watching too much Torchwood.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
                          Just looked at their website...one of their services is "Mortality Screening"

Think they've been watching too much Torchwood.

Comment

"Mortality Screening" is a vulture operation and yes it is a double edged sword. Mainly however it is funded by the financial institutions per se now that they even "outsource" their own bowel movements. It is done to check whether an alleged debtor has passed away to enable them to make a claim on the deceased's estate.

It is one of the most appalling, disgraceful amoral parts of modern life and to me shows up exactly what the financial institutions are really about. Perhaps the bewigged fraternity should abide more by the ethics they falsely claim to hold dear.

Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                              they even "outsource" their own bowel movements.
                              Wow - that's posh!

I wish I could get some lackey to shit for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X