GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Drowning in debt and leaving the country....help! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drowning in debt and leaving the country....help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drowning in debt and leaving the country....help!

I've got £40k debt and REALLY don't want to walk away from it but cannot afford to pay it.

I'm leaving the country in August to go to South Africa. I have offered the banks f&f but they've declined (Natwest & Barclays). I have missed 6 payments in total.

I don't want them knocking on my friend's door when I leave the country. I can't afford to go bankrupt.

Don't know what to do? Is it too late to offer token payments of say £10 per account (£40 in total per month) from now until I leave? Then what do I do after that? How do I pay them this when I am no longer in the country?

I'm considering moving out of my friend's flat (where I'm living at now) & letting the banks have my new address for the next 2 months so that they can reach me there instead of at my friend's. Plus once I have left the country, I'd rather they knocked on the door of the new address than hound my friend.

I am also considering resigning earlier from my job - then writing to the banks AGAIN confirming that I will no longer have a job/income as I am going away. Will this help at all?

I appreciate my credit is screwed & I have no intention of returning to the UK but I don't REALLY want to leave loose ends?

Please SOMEONE give me some advice. I am desperate. Thank you in advance.

Re: Drowning in debt and leaving the country....help!

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
    I've got £40k debt and REALLY don't want to walk away from it but cannot afford to pay it.

I'm leaving the country in August to go to South Africa. I have offered the banks f&f but they've declined (Natwest & Barclays). I have missed 6 payments in total.

I don't want them knocking on my friend's door when I leave the country. I can't afford to go bankrupt.

Don't know what to do? Is it too late to offer token payments of say £10 per account (£40 in total per month) from now until I leave? Then what do I do after that? How do I pay them this when I am no longer in the country?

I'm considering moving out of my friend's flat (where I'm living at now) & letting the banks have my new address for the next 2 months so that they can reach me there instead of at my friend's. Plus once I have left the country, I'd rather they knocked on the door of the new address than hound my friend.

I am also considering resigning earlier from my job - then writing to the banks AGAIN confirming that I will no longer have a job/income as I am going away. Will this help at all?

I appreciate my credit is screwed & I have no intention of returning to the UK but I don't REALLY want to leave loose ends?

Please SOMEONE give me some advice. I am desperate. Thank you in advance.
    Hi,
    If it was me I would just go. If you like give them your new address in Australia the day you leave and go and have a great life in SA, someone will be along soon to give advice but have a look at pepe diary who has already left.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
      Hi,
      If it was me I would just go. If you like give them your new address in Australia the day you leave and go and have a great life in SA, someone will be along soon to give advice but have a look at pepe diary who has already left.
      Thank you but I worry that they will bang on my friend's door when they can't reach me at another address as this will then be my last known address in the UK. Should I rather move out of here, give them the new address at the next place (guest house probably) AND then leave the country from there. At least then they have another address in the UK instead of bugging my friend?

Comment

You mention "pepe diary" - where will I find this please?

Comment

Hi and welcome from me too Kitty, click on the below link for Pepe2008's UE diary and someone will be along soon to advise further

-- > Pepe2008 Heading for the Sun! - allaboutFORUMS
          "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Thank you but I worry that they will bang on my friend's door when they can't reach me at another address as this will then be my last known address in the UK. Should I rather move out of here, give them the new address at the next place (guest house probably) AND then leave the country from there. At least then they have another address in the UK instead of bugging my friend?
            Just tell you friend to return all letters not known at this address, just give the people you want to contact you the real one, you really wont be the first or last person to do this,

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
              Just tell you friend to return all letters not known at this address, just give the people you want to contact you the real one, you really wont be the first or last person to do this,
              Thank you. But what happens when the bailiffs come knocking on her door looking for me?

Comment

Thank you. But what happens when the bailiffs come knocking on her door looking for me?
                If its not your place and you don't live there nothing.

Comment

As long as she has identification to prove she is she and not you they will just go away (I am not sure most of them could do much even if it was you to be honest if you don't own the house).

Jane x

Comment

I wouldn't consider resigning from my job any earlier just to play shenanigans with the banks. Why should you? Resign from your job when it suits you, not when it suits anyone else. If you resign earlier, you are just losing money. Do that if the extra time is more important than the money, but not otherwise.

I wouldn't worry too much about anyone banging on doors. That costs money, and it is unlikely anyone will do this unless they believe they will get a return. Bailiffs could only become involved if these accounts became subject to CCJs in your absence. Even the banks would have to be pretty stupid to pay money for court claims against someone who has left the jurisdiction and will not be returning.

Yes, if it was me, I would try to rent somewhere temporarily just before leaving, so that you could give this address to the banks as your last address.

SH

Comment

What about a PO Box?, saves bothering anyones place with junk mail.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Bailiffs can't get involved as this is a civil matter not criminal.

Don't worry. Just move and login from SA if necessary but I suspect you'll not hear from them again. Just ensure you tell your flat mate to return items for you as unknown at this address.
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tastyjane View Post
                          As long as she has identification to prove she is she and not you they will just go away (I am not sure most of them could do much even if it was you to be honest if you don't own the house).

Jane x
                          Thank you Jane; I'd not even want her to find out about the debt to be honest. So if they came round, she'd know. Yikes! x

Comment

Originally posted by ScabHunter View Post
                            I wouldn't consider resigning from my job any earlier just to play shenanigans with the banks. Why should you? Resign from your job when it suits you, not when it suits anyone else. If you resign earlier, you are just losing money. Do that if the extra time is more important than the money, but not otherwise.

I wouldn't worry too much about anyone banging on doors. That costs money, and it is unlikely anyone will do this unless they believe they will get a return. Bailiffs could only become involved if these accounts became subject to CCJs in your absence. Even the banks would have to be pretty stupid to pay money for court claims against someone who has left the jurisdiction and will not be returning.

Yes, if it was me, I would try to rent somewhere temporarily just before leaving, so that you could give this address to the banks as your last address.

SH
                            Thank you. At what point do the banks apply for CCJ? And yes, will take your advice of temporary residence elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                              What about a PO Box?, saves bothering anyones place with junk mail.
                              Thank you but I've been told that the banks don't accept PO Box addresses? Otherwise, I'd get one done today if I could!

Comment

Working...
                              X