GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Drowning in debt and leaving the country....help! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drowning in debt and leaving the country....help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drowning in debt and leaving the country....help!

Read this part

How much can a Writ be issued for?

You can ask a High Court Enforcement Officer to enforce any judgment obtained:

in the High Court;
    any County Court judgment over £600, provided it is not regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (these agreements can only be enforced in the County Court by their own bailiffs);
    any Employment Tribunal or ACAS Award regardless of amount.
    And the bold part is what simply does not happen hence I say you won't find examples.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Many bypass the CCJ stage now and go straight in with a SD anyway, despite the total lack of paperwork to back up their claims, so they are usually easily defended.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortman View Post
        Many bypass the CCJ stage now and go straight in with a SD anyway, despite the total lack of paperwork to back up their claims, so they are usually easily defended.
        Fair do's but in this case, based on the debtors situation she really has nothing to worry about.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          Fair do's but in this case, based on the debtors situation she really has nothing to worry about.
          Agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
            You are very kind, thank you! I have learnt HUGE lessons not least of all, that I shouldn't be SO generous in helping those less fortunate than I am by using money that doesn't belong to me (but to the banks!). I hope it doesn't change the "human" side in me though, but that it just makes me sensible to know when it's out of my remit to help the needy!
            GO and enjoy a new life with no worries starting again must be fantastic (as others have done) I am envious.

Comment

Kitty

Following this with interest.

You are going to do what many on here would like to do but for various reasons wont.

Your in a far better position than you think. Just get on with your plans, time for a new life and forget about this old one.

We have a friend who did just this. Went to New Zealand. She is now married to a local has no debt (unless she decides to come back in the next year or so) and has a completely new life.

We on the other hand are still fighting here trying to sort stuff out. We have a CCJ and a CO. And you know what besides stopping my other half using the banks to stiff her with interest and charges it aint made much difference to our life. Indeed it stops them in their tracks when we refer to it if they start wanting the money back quicker.

I know which path seems more appealing to me 5 years down the line.

Well not so sure about a husband mind

Comment

Kitty please dont feel bad about not repaying the debt, think about it this way.

Firstly, all of us have repaid our debts ten if not hundred times over in extreemly high interest rates that would be illegal in any normal democratic society.

When we inform them we are having trouble, instead of helping they jack the interest up to a level where we have no choice but to go under, and fall victim to a default and sometimes a CCJ or CO (if you havent found AAD first)

Bankers have gambled with our money for years, and caused a crash which wasnt our fault, and we have had to bail them out, at a cost of roughly £40,000 per person.

In my eyes, they have had more than enough money from us whatever your moral point may be, and its time we took a stand and said no more.

The only options left to us, is to stop paying. Let them see what its like to struggle (although i doubt they will but you get my drift)
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Kitty,
                  Just picked up on this thread and wanted to wish you well with your new life.
                  As already said: you are doing what a lot of us often think about but don't for one reason, or another.
                  My advice is to pack-up, go and don't look back. If you need any advice then post away, but i would suggest all letters are put back in the post box with "not at address".
                  All the best with your new (Debt free) life
                  Missy
                  When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Bye have a good new life! without the worry, = you are a long time dead! Good Luck!

Comment

Hi Kitty, just found your thread.

First of all, the Banks etc DO accept PO Boxes, we have one. However, we are VERY selective about who has it ( our Quinta is too remote for the Postman so we collect twice a week).

We retain a UK address for various Tax, Insurance etc reasons and then we have a friend send on any UK post that doesn't look like junk to our PO Box in Portugal.

We gave email addresses to certain lenders and have great fun with them. We know they can't do anything and then, when they threaten a Doorstep we say 'fine, but could you please first of all confirm that you will be covering your own expenses for the 4000 mile roundtrip and could you bring some Galaxy and PG Tips?' ....they then disappear.

Honestly, Kitty, just move. Make sure that you tell them that you are no longer Employed and are leaving the Country as your prospects of employment are bleak here and that you will inform them of your new address and employment situation just as soon as it becomes clear to you. Tell them that you will be staying at various friends until that time.
                      If they should send anything to your present UK address, which is then forwarded to you, write back a couple of weeks later in a very indignant tone saying that 'the letter reached you via a very circuitous route through different friends and relations' and refer them back to the original letter telling them you've gone.

All my and my Wifes UK Creditors ( over £40K's worth as well ) have given up. Most haven't even bothered. If a DCA writes, we ( along with the usual letters) remind them of where we are living and they seem to lose heart very quickly.

Any correspondence sent to our UK address gets the 'circuitous' letter and a Complaint that they are writing to an address that they know we do not reside.

As you, apparently, don't have a UK Property for them to make any sort of attempt on ( v unlikely anyway ) or a huge Private Pension pot for them to raid in the case of Bankruptcy, they will take in the information and probably just write it off.

You have all the cards, ask you friend to return post as 'gone away' if you'd like......you are holding all the cards.

Relax, you're doing it! We even had people saying that 'When you come back into the UK, they'll pick you up at Passport Control'....utter bollocks.

Personally, I wouldn't give any of 'em your new address, screw 'em like they screwed you for so many years.

Feel free to PM if you like. Pepe and BB.

Comment

Thanks ALL you guys; you have been immensely helpful. I wrote to them yesterday providing a "new temporary" address stating that I am no longer at my present address. I'm assuming they will now write to my new address. In the meantime, I'm still at my friends for another 2 months so will return all letters that may still come to this address.

My employment terminates end August then I will be out of here. In my letter to them yesterday I said that I will shortly be unemployed & that should my circumstances change, I will write to them again.

Not sure if I should write to them just before leaving the country (considering they will be furious when the letters from the new address which I supplied them will be returned) just to say...I'm out of here and will forward them my new address once I am abroad or whether I should just leave things as they are. The last thing I want to happen is when they realize I don't live at the new address, that they start bombarding my friend (or turn up even) at her house (i.e. my current address which they have on record).

Comment

No no, once you change addresses that's it - they cannot then bombard your friend. DO NOT give them your new address, ever! Just move and forget it.

If your mate does get anything just ask them to return them as unknown, which is spot on and truthful.

Comment

Kitty, stop worrying and go have a great new life

Comment

Good luck. Follow Niddy's advice and don't try to over complicate or over think things! Just send a few postcards to AAD so that we know you are settled and happy!

Comment

Good luck on your new life in SA, I'm sure you will love it, i spent 8 years there,lovely country just know the places to avoid, as life is very cheap in certain area's ...

And also a little reminder when you open a bank account, go for a Soley owned SA Bank such as Nedbank.or Standard Bank of SA.
                                That way you will avoid any tie up with Britsih Banks that have operations there, some such as Barclays who are big in SA are clearly visible, but some such as RBS, Lloyds TSB, HSBC operate under other local names and its not always easy to identify them.
                                Computers have made the world a very small place, you don't want your name flagging up anywhere as you start your new life finally free of the weight of debt on your shoulders.

The minute you are on the airplane order a drink and toast yourself to a new exciting life and remember...Don't look back just look forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X