GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Landlord not paying mortgage on property I am renting - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landlord not paying mortgage on property I am renting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord not paying mortgage on property I am renting

While I was at work on Friday I received a visit from Sheriff Officers to serve a court document to me as the occupier of a property that the landlord is not paying the mortgage although I am paying my rent through a letting agent.

The letting agent has said that I have to send them the document but do I need to do anything with this?

I came to this rented property to decide my future after separating from my husband and could do without this as never had to deal with anything like this before, I know I have rights as a secured tenancy agreement.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would maybe be interested in purchasing this property if the price was right.

Re: Landlord not paying mortgage on property I am renting

Oh Millie you poor thing. It doesn't just rain it pours. You have enough on your plate without this.

I do believe that everything happens for a reason so I'll be delighted to help you with this new issue. Let's hope we can find a way for you to buy this property off the mortgage lender if that's what you want. I'm pretty sure that's what they will want.

Hopefully your legal rights as a secured tenant will be the problem solver.

Can you email me your tenancy agreement please. You have more legal rights in Scotland than tenants in the rest of the UK.

Plan B x

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
      Oh Millie you poor thing. It doesn't just rain it pours. You have enough on your plate without this.

I do believe that everything happens for a reason so I'll be delighted to help you with this new issue. Let's hope we can find a way for you to buy this property off the mortgage lender if that's what you want. I'm pretty sure that's what they will want.

Hopefully your rights as a secured tenant will be the problem solver.

Can you email me your tenancy agreement please. You have more legal rights in Scotland than tenants in the rest of the UK.

Plan B x

Thanks Di....

I can send it to you on Monday when I am back at work.

The outstanding mortgage on the property is £108k but one upstairs sold for £60k so don't know what my chances are for getting it at a price like that.

These flats were built when prices were at the peek and now people cannot sell them because of the negative equity.

When the postie came today with a recorded delivery copy he said he had loads of these for the development so think the landlord bought a load of them as an investment and it's gone wrong... Hopefully this will help me.

Comment

Looking good

The lender will have a duty to offer the property on the open market to achieve the "best price".

They will also to have to offer it with you in situ as a secured tenant which is not ideal to some buyers (who may just want to live in it).

We have lots to talk about.

Can you clarify when your tenancy agreement is due to end in theory. If at all

Plan B xx

Comment

Looking good

The lender will have a duty to offer the property on the open market to achieve the "best price".

They will also to have to offer it with you in situ as a secured tenant which is not ideal to some buyers (who may just want to live in it).

We have lots to talk about.

Can you clarify when your tenancy agreement is due to end in theory. If at all

Plan B xx

I took 6 months and that expires end of April however I have received a letter from the letting agent on Wednesday asking me if I would like to extend my secured tenancy agreement...

Comment

Originally posted by milliesmadmoth View Post
            I took 6 months and that expires end of April however I have received a letter from the letting agent on Wednesday asking me if I would like to extend my secured tenancy agreement...
            I'd be inclined to say "Yes Please" to the tenancy extension offer from your agent since you've already said/posted that you want to remain in the property. This may/may not protect your legal right to stay in the property. But we need to check out your legal situation first.

I believe that the Landlord would need to serve you with a Notice to Quit if he wants you out even if you don't agree to extend your current tenancy agreement as requested by their agent.

The offer to extend the tenancy was made before you received that frightening letter from the court which said that the Landlord may be in a bit of legal bother.

The letter from the Sheriffs' Office may be a standard template letter. Was it addressed to you by name or was it sent to "the Occupier"?

I ask because if a court issues a Warrant of Eviction they usually need the occupant's actual name.

Comment

I'd be inclined to say "Yes Please" to the tenancy extension offer from your agent since you've already said/posted that you want to remain in the property. This may/may not protect your legal right to stay in the property. But we need to check out your legal situation first.

I believe that the Landlord would need to serve you with a Notice to Quit if he wants you out even if you don't agree to extend your current tenancy agreement as requested by their agent.

The offer to extend the tenancy was made before you received that frightening letter from the court which said that the Landlord may be in a bit of legal bother.

The letter from the Sheriffs' Office may be a standard template letter. Was it addressed to you by name or was it sent to "the Occupier"?

I ask because if a court issues a Warrant of Eviction they usually need their actual name.

Just the Occupier

Comment

Just the Occupier
                Excellent.

You and your son have legal rights.

I'll do my best to fight for them.

Plan B x

Comment

Excellent.

You and your son have legal rights.

I'll do my best to fight for them.

Plan B x

Thanks for your help Di

As you say it never rains but it pours! I thought I was going to have some time to decide my future but I keep getting things thrown at me from all angles.

My mum came in with a canvas that said 'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain' I said mum I am fed up dancing in the rain!!

Comment

Oh Millie I'm so sorry to read this what a predicament Plan B is worth her weight in gold x
                    if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I ask because if a court issues a Warrant of Eviction they usually need the occupant's actual name.

Just the Occupier

Remind me to tell you the story of a failed bailiff's attempt to evict an "occupier" who said their name was Mickey Mouse which was not named on the Warrant.

Comment

If your Landlord wants you out of the property than he must serve you with a Section 11 Notice to Quit. If you don't go voluntarily on the date requested he has to apply to the Sheriff's court to evict you but he must have legal "grounds" not just because he wants to sell it etc.

These are the grounds he can use > http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_a...ssured_tenants

You'll see Ground 2 is "Mortgage Default" if the lender has repossessed the property and wants to sell it to recover the mortgage debt.

If a property is repossessed then the new "owner" i.e. the bank becomes your Landlord in effect, so it would be the bank evicting you not the original Landlord. In some cases a bank will let you stay in the property paying the rent direct to them. In other cases they may well be willing to sell it to you.

But this is early days since from what you say your Landlord may only have received a citation from the court for possession proceedings. May I see the letter you received please.

One possible option could be to make your Landlord an offer to buy the property direct from him before it's repossessed. The only difficulty there is he may use your offer to halt the repossession and then double-cross you later by not selling it to you. In England a court can make a suspended possession Order on the basis that a viable sale is in the pipeline. I need to check Scottish law on this.

Comment

If he accepts a lawful offer to buy in Scotland not quite so easy to walk away without any costs

Comment

If your Landlord wants you out of the property than he must serve you with a Section 11 Notice to Quit. If you don't go voluntarily on the date requested he has to apply to the Sheriff's court to evict you but he must have legal "grounds" not just because he wants to sell it etc.

These are the grounds he can use > http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_a...ssured_tenants

You'll see Ground 2 is "Mortgage Default" if the lender has repossessed the property and wants to sell it to recover the mortgage debt.

If a property is repossessed then the new "owner" i.e. the bank becomes your Landlord in effect, so it would be the bank evicting you not the original Landlord. In some cases a bank will let you stay in the property paying the rent direct to them. In other cases they may well be willing to sell it to you.

But this is early days since from what you say your Landlord may only have received a citation from the court for possession proceedings. May I see the letter you received please.

One possible option could be to make your Landlord an offer to buy the property direct from him before it's repossessed. The only difficulty there is he may use your offer to halt the repossession and then double-cross you later by not selling it to you. In England a court can make a suspended possession Order on the basis that a viable sale is in the pipeline. I need to check Scottish law on this.

Hi Plan B

Just to let you know I have emailed you the document and sent a copy to the letting agent.

Comment

Hi Plan B

Just to let you know I have emailed you the document and sent a copy to the letting agent.
                              It's not arrived

All your previous emails have so I know you've got the correct address. Do you mind re-trying.

Plan B x

Comment

Working...
                              X