GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script E-Petition - everyone please sign . Re. Debt Purchase and unfair Statutory Demand and Bankruptcy - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-Petition - everyone please sign . Re. Debt Purchase and unfair Statutory Demand and Bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Petition - everyone please sign . Re. Debt Purchase and unfair Statutory Demand and Bankruptcy

Hi all,

If you feel strongly with regards to DCAs/debt buyers paying pennies in the pound for YOUR debt data under the old Law Of Property Act 1925 and a bit of smallprint in some credit agreements, which enable debt buyers to take some people to court and claim the original outstanding sum, after the banks etc have terminated that agreement and technically written off your debt, where these DCAs are simply out to profit big time from the poor and vulnerable and even take their homes via Bankruptcy and so on....

100,000 genuine and true, fully completed signatories are required on Official Govt. e-petition, please sign and share it everywhere you think people will want to sign.

If (and a big if) we get the full 100,000 there is a chance of it being heard in The House Of Commons.

Note, your completed details MUST be precise, not fake etc, to be counted, these details remain in the official system, NOT viewed by everyone!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/60324

Here is why:

For a guesstimate only....

The minimum threshold for bankruptcy for example was £750, now just say a debt purchaser pays £75 for your data (unknown how low they go)....they can take you through the court system and claim you owe them the threshold because the legal loophole lets them, when you know they never paid out that money at all, you didn't borrow from them, you didn't want them to buy your debt data, you couldn't pay your bank due to difficulties and whilst the bank could take you to court, they are less inclined to be so heavy handed and threatening or vexatious. There are DCA/buyers out there bullying people and misusing the bankruptcy process because they can and it's nasty. Of course some, go for CCJ and subsequent actions may or may not lead to loss of property. But morals and principles.....WHY should these companies get away with making up to an estimate of 900% profit where successful....maybe more. Have read somewhere (don't ask) that a person accidentally spotted a DCA had paid £95 for a debt of £15000. I don't know if that was true, but you can safely say they do probably pay under 10% of outstanding balance.

So whilst this e-petition focuses on abusing the system and how can a 'written off' debt that the banks claim on tax relief/insurance for loss be payable at the full rate by a debt buyer....the law lets them! No retailer can 'write off' goods ie bin them, claim tax relief and then resell....there are many more avenues to all this, and I would hope if this ever gets to House Of Commons, the whole thing is reviewed...ideally I'd like to see an end to selling to DCAs/debt buyers full stop, as they keep flouting regs anyway.

The public that are fortunate enough NOT to be in debt should also agree....as banks haven't been behaving so well for a while, but if there was a gentle way of recovering debts, even in part and that may mean a long duration, instead of letting greedy DCA/buyers pay peanuts and make vast profits, you can see I am not for one minute saying everyone will still pay or can pay, I am saying stop selling to 'thugs'. There is the occasional DCA that might negotiate payments, but on the whole, they like to scare people and go for big lumps! You can try to persuade the judge if it gets that far, but I say the law needs to insist on enforceability re. paperwork and insist the Deed showing amount paid is considered, if they continue allowing DCAs to buy debts OR STOP IT ALTOGETHER! Certainly NOT allow bankruptcy when the DCA paid under £750 as that is like standing in court with one big lie and is malicious to say the least! We don't want all the banks and credit card co.s going down the bankruptcy route either and CCJs are as bad but there is more that can be done in some cases. Breakdown in relationship can be a cause with some people, upping interest didn't help, high account charges ( I know there was some policy change to lower some charges). A lot of people fell down, big recession etc, NOT a good reason to 'bully' them more!

Ok in a nutshell, set aside all the various arguments, this is about awareness further down the line than some people have got, but so many people harassed and made ill by debt collectors/buyers. Those responsible for banging loudly on doors and windows over what was UNSECURED debt, yet they go and make it secured and totally ruin lives more! 900% profit to takes homes and possessions - think you can all see that is morally wrong (estimated as per assuming one tenth paid so 9 times profit, if they pay 3% that figure is worse)!!

Re: E-Petition - everyone please sign . Re. Debt Purchase and unfair Statutory Demand and Bankruptcy

Hello Storm and to AAD.

Well done for starting a petition. Have you been motivated by a personal experience and is it something we can help you sort out if it's not resolved?

Comment

Re: E-Petition - everyone please sign . Re. Debt Purchase and unfair Statutory Demand and Bankruptcy

Hi and thank you very much indeed!

If you are able to place the petition in a prominent position and assist in boosting views and signatures, it would be an immense help!

I had placed it on another site and instantly received horrid comments from what turned out to be debt collectors, who appeared to be 'trolling' that forum and very rudely attacking a lot of people as well as myself, so I hope they stay off this post, LOL :-)

I have been a victim of the very worse of the DCAs and purchasers and not only that, but I am now lifelong ill with an incurable illness that could have severe consequences, so it is hard for me to find the energy, but the law definitely needs changing, debt purchasers definitely need stopping in picking on the vulnerable and profiting to such high margins! The argument that they disagree with the petition and they call it 'ill thought out' .... they call people names and have been really rude, some even racist and discriminatory is more reason that they should be stopped!

I give example where I read that a person saw on paperwork that a £15000 debt was bought for £95 which the courts ignore the bought figure. People can lose homes (we know it can happen via other means) but by companies making such profit is wrong!

A person could be made bankrupt for anything over £750 and the debt buyer may only have paid up to 10% so I call that abusing the court system.

Along with the threats and flouting of laws and say OFT regulations on a regular basis, something must be done.

I can't guarantee it will hit target, I can't guarantee if 100,000 signatures are fully properly completed they will hear it in the House Of Commons, but if people can help, at least we know we have tried

Many thanks, I appreciate your kind welcome X
      Originally posted by planB View Post
      Hello Storm and to AAD.

Well done for starting a petition. Have you been motivated by a personal experience and is it something we can help you sort out if it's not resolved?

Comment

I would be very in favour of reforming the law so debts could not be sold on. If the original creditor had to keep the debt for good or bad, then it would clean up the lending practices of many of them.

As it is they can lend with the knowlenge that if it goes pear shaped for their customers they can simply unload it on to a debt collector, who then becomes the bad guy rather than the OC.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I only had so much space to fill the petition details on the Govt. page sadly, as it really needs a major overhaul but I would hope the surrounding issues are all considered when eventually the law is looked at, and regardless of this petition succeeding or not (eek)... banks and debt collectors, OFT and the new bodies etc are ALL being scrutinised, so a matter of time, surely??? We hope! Thanks for you support and again, feel free to share anywhere you think might find the right people to complete the petition signature form

Comment

Post on consumeractiongroup and legalbeagles.info if you want wider viewing and haven't done so already.

I doubt you will get to the 100K, and even if it did there are too many vested interest to ever allow things to be reformed. But good luck all the same.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It certainly needs to pick up already haha, but at the very least, whomever at the Govt. E-Petitions department agreed it could be listed and IF it does fail, then it won't be long before something gives (laughs hysterically)

Comment

Many thanks to everyone that has signed so far, please do your utmost to get the word out there. So many 'victims'....if everyone makes a massive effort, you never know, we might win

Comment

Signed and totally agree..
                  Remember, "sometimes It doesn't matter if you lose, it is enough to have fought and made your point."

Comment

i think the forced bankruptcy threshold needs to be increased, voluntary sure, but being made BR for 750 quid? its not right or fair. One could argue that no one should be forced to become BR for 750 quid. In reality, you could repay a debt that small at £10 per month, and still clear it quicker than most paying £1 per month on larger debts.

Comment

Thank you so much Jackreacher I know I keep saying this but if anyone can really push this...tweet it....place on websites...anywhere that would help.. I am more keen since some abusive DCAs jumped on my post on another site... insulting...saying ill thought out and they hope it gets what it deserves...ignored...see how nice they are?
                      Originally posted by jackreacher View Post
                      Signed and totally agree..

Comment

Hi SXGuy, precisely unfair, but from experience it has been the first action taken by one particular company and it was hell.... and they are due back on the case...but they'd best be prepared, as the first Stat Demand was altered (I say defrauded)... and a few other issues that made them cancel that one...I won't hesitate at putting it in the news, if they try again! Yes, if people want to volunteer....without being bullied, so the whole issue with petition is to stop this business....there are alternatives, if people wish and can pay a bit over longer...other people will just be glad to rid the purely for profit antics regardless of whether they do or can pay original creditors, that is another matter
                        Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                        i think the forced bankruptcy threshold needs to be increased, voluntary sure, but being made BR for 750 quid? its not right or fair. One could argue that no one should be forced to become BR for 750 quid. In reality, you could repay a debt that small at £10 per month, and still clear it quicker than most paying £1 per month on larger debts.

Comment

Good luck

You need to be clear that you are referring to consumer credit debt as DCAs have existed for centuries. Debt sale or factoring where invoices are sold at a discount to increase cash flow is an established business. It is only in the last 30 years that credit cards and overdrafts have become generally available. Many of the worst and most vicious DCAs have hatched, like Marlin, this century.

Industry and commerce relies on factoring. Most of the new DCAs deal only in consumer not commercial debt.

Comment

Hiya, thank you. Yes, it did cross my mind (Oliver film springs to mind) but seriously it will be backed up with full written explanations, if such numbers are gained to allow it to get that far and other aspects factored into that written explanation that aren't obvious ie as much info and suggestions as possible. I have been explaining it in various places when posting and stating personal bank/credit card etc, but very mindful of other's views and assistance/suggestions etc. I don't know if they will turn round and ask for any info at the end, but if they do it can be brought up again incase anyone wants to add....I guess

Defo the reason for doing this, there are more bad apples than good and that is being appropriately 'visibly neutral', polite about it. The way it makes me feel is a lot stronger (curses)

Originally posted by julian View Post
                            Good luck

You need to be clear that you are referring to consumer credit debt as DCAs have existed for centuries. Debt sale or factoring where invoices are sold at a discount to increase cash flow is an established business. It is only in the last 30 years that credit cards and overdrafts have become generally available. Many of the worst and most vicious DCAs have hatched, like Marlin, this century.

Industry and commerce relies on factoring. Most of the new DCAs deal only in consumer not commercial debt.

Comment

Signed.

Comment

Working...
                              X