GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Sky Broadband - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sky Broadband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sky Broadband

For quite a while now I have been getting an inferior broadband service, indeed some while back Niddy and Riz gave me some advice to try and improve it to no avail.

I have been getting 3mb at the best and less at the worse along with drop outs I have had countless calls to customer services and I was on my third sky box the old crap one and still no improvement.

I asked for one of the newer sky hubs which they steadfastly refused to do sighting that that would not be the problem and perhaps I should contact BT to get the line checked.

I refuse to pay £69 for one of these hubs because I am a long-standing customer with bills in excess of £120 a month.

Now I have got one of these sky hubs given to me by a friend who went over to Virgin and my speed has gone from 3mb upto 9 mb with a stronger signal all around my house and to the end of my garden.

Do you think I have any recourse here to at least get some discount on my next bill ? should I atleast send an email to the sky CEO

Finally how much do you think the manufacturing costs are to Sky for these Sky Hubs?

Thank You

BTW this Hub has been connected how for 3 days and have had no drop outs.

Re: Sky Broadband

Sky give you "up to" 20mb, they don't actually have to supply you with it. When I had sky broadband, I was lucky to get 2mb.

Sadly, your speed will always come down to, how far the exchange is from your house, and how many people down your street has sky broadband or use the same lines.

Have you got an ADSL filter either built in to or attached to your phone wall socket? this will greatly reduce interference from the phone line and should increase speeds a little.

Apart from that, the only other option to get top rate steady speeds is by switching to someone who uses fibre optics.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Worth sending in a strong letter to Sky Pompey. Its a shame, like most utility companies they treat existing customers like crap and only interested in new ones.
      Best of luck with it.
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ermmm the line will go back after sky next perform line tests (weekly)..... They average it out so if it offers upto 20mb you might get a steady 12-16mb.

We moved (after the Caspar/Labtwat carry on) and now we can only get about 3-4mb. It's shit. I told sky this but that's all the line can process. It's pish. I might just pay 4G which is faster than most standard bb anyway!!
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Sky can override the tests though. Mine dropped from 18Mb to 14 when I switched to the sky phone network rather than BTs. I complained and insisted that I speak with tier 2 tech/complaints team, who then overrode the automatic line speed setting so I got what I had before. It is as stable as it ever was.

If your physical line changes though, than can drop your speed to what the new one can handle. Nothing they can do about that apart from max it out tpo what it can take even if it costs a little in stability. Nids may get a extra few Mbs but not much I fear.

Comment

That's it mate. It's crap at the mo. Around 2mb but I'm like sod it. I don't need it to be lightening fast now as all the sites are built so I only edit slight parts at the moment.

Im just gobsmacked that I was faster 10 years ago than I am now!!!
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

ADSL is a now a crappy old technology really. Bizarre that what you get depends purely on line length/distance from the exchange, but that is the physical constraint on the system that is next to impossible to work around.

I'm waiting until they finally sort out fibre here. Exchange is apparently done, but just can't get it on this road yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                Im just gobsmacked that I was faster 10 years ago than I am now!!!
                So was I mate, its called "getting old"

Comment

I'm just gobsmacked that I was faster 10 years ago than I am now!!!
                  Originally posted by oscar View Post
                  So was I mate, its called "getting old"
                  Soon, you'll spend all night trying to do once what you previously used to do all night.

Comment

This is my speed now with 3 laptops and a playstation connected, not so bad I guess just pissed off I had to go to the lengths I did to sort it myself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	speedtest.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1399880

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      Soon, you'll spend all night trying to do once what you previously used to do all night.

????

Comment

You could play with WIFI and change channels which might speed things up a tad. I use ch7 to the main sky router as my neighbours use ch3 & 11. Always leave a channel each side of all neighbours. You use an app to tell you the neighbours channels

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                          Sleep without he need to get up for a piss??

Comment

You could play with WIFI and change channels which might speed things up a tad. I use ch7 to the main sky router as my neighbours use ch3 & 11. Always leave a channel each side of all neighbours. You use an app to tell you the neighbours channels
                            You happen to know / recall the log in for the route? Seem to recall sky /admin - want t check ours

Comment

Sky / admin

192.168.0.1/

Comment

Working...
                              X