GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Security software - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Security software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security software

I need a hand here,
    What free antivirus/firewall/security software would you install on a windows vista pc with a lowish spec.
    At the moment it has AVG free , windows defender and firewall I think.

Also what would you use on a low spec XP machine?

I have a windows 7 laptop with AVG pro (came free with the laptop)

Re: Security software

Hi

I also had avg and found it slowed the computer to a crawl, I now have microsoft security essential which is free, I downloaded it from microsoft website and find it realy good, well worth a try

Comment

I use windows own firewall

Comment

Thanks Fred.
        I know some people say windows firewall on vista is crap not sure if it is though.
        Think I will give it a try

Comment

Ji Jon

I have vista and have had no trouble with windows firewall or microsoft security essentials, I dont use windows defender as this also slows computer, you can turn it on manually if you need to. You can always go back to avg if you dont like the other one.

Fredbare

Comment

unless you connect via a usb modem then yiou'll have a harware firewall installed on your router which coupled with windows built in one is better than installing another one.

Also Microsoft security essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will do you all you need
            I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
              I need a hand here,
              What free antivirus/firewall/security software would you install on a windows vista pc with a lowish spec.
              At the moment it has AVG free , windows defender and firewall I think.

Also what would you use on a low spec XP machine?

I have a windows 7 laptop with AVG pro (came free with the laptop)
              I have an old desktop with windows xp and use the same, windows firewall and microsoft security essentials, works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
                unless you connect via a usb modem then yiou'll have a harware firewall installed on your router which coupled with windows built in one is better than installing another one.

Also Microsoft security essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will do you all you need
                Hi Kilasuit

I connect through a router with a built in firewall as well, I agree its all you need.

Fredbare

Comment

I've tried a few free antivirus programs. AVG works but as fredbare pointed out it makes your PC as fast as a dead snail in a glue pot. The best one I've found is Avast. I use that all the time now on my PC (Win 7) and netbook (XP).

The only problem with Avast is a ridiculous pop up message with sound, which I have yet to find a way of disabling. I don't often play sound files on the PC because the sound quality is nowhere near as good as I get from my Cowon portable music players, but I do a lot of editing with Izotope RX2. I would love to find a way of silencing the damn thing.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by ScabHunter View Post
                    I've tried a few free antivirus programs. AVG works but as fredbare pointed out it makes your PC as fast as a dead snail in a glue pot. The best one I've found is Avast. I use that all the time now on my PC (Win 7) and netbook (XP).

The only problem with Avast is a ridiculous pop up message with sound, which I have yet to find a way of disabling. I don't often play sound files on the PC because the sound quality is nowhere near as good as I get from my Cowon portable music players, but I do a lot of editing with Izotope RX2. I would love to find a way of silencing the damn thing.
                    Hi Scabhunter

Have you tried going into the avast settings page and disabling the sound from there. Is it the automatic update box your getting, you can disable that in settings too.

Hope this helps

Fredbare
                    Last edited by Flowerpower; 29 June 2012, 07:12. Reason: Fixed quote :)

Comment

I have Avast and in settings go to "popups" then you can set the duration of the various popups (20 secs is default), also, go to the settings "sound" tab, there you can disable sound individually for each kind of popup.

I love Avast!

Shep x

Comment

Originally posted by fredbare View Post
                        Hi Scabhunter

Have you tried going into the avast settings page and disabling the sound from there. Is it the automatic update box your getting, you can disable that in settings too.

Hope this helps

Fredbare
                        Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
                        I have Avast and in settings go to "popups" then you can set the duration of the various popups (20 secs is default), also, go to the settings "sound" tab, there you can disable sound individually for each kind of popup.

I love Avast!

Shep x
                        Many thanks for that Fredbare and Shep. I've gone into Settings and just disabled sound altogether which should do what I need.

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                        Also use MalwareBytes to scan 'high risk' files I download, to be double sure before opening them.
                        I've seen quite a few posters recommending that one. I'll have to download it and give it a try. Are you using the paid version or the free one?

SH

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                          I'm just using the free version. I don't have it running all the time as you can only have one AV, I use it to run additional scans as it often catches things the others don't. You can still update the free version.
                          Malwarebytes will not scan for virus, for an older machine like you say you have simply use Microsoft Security Essentials, you will have to remove all traces of any other av on your machine before installing, a lot of companies will have their own removal tool to completely rid your machine of their files, Norton/McAfee/Kaspersky and others come to mind.
                          MSE will do all you need, it runs quietly and does not hog system resources so will not slow your computer, it updates automatically and in my opinion for everyday use it is good.
                          Malwarebytes will scan your computer on demand (auto if you use the pro version) for unwanted malware such as ads and pop ups that run in the background and are triggered by certain keystrokes or an active internet connection.
                          If you visit "dodgy websites" then use a paid for program such as Nod32 or Vipre or Webroot Complete.
                          Get your machine as clean as possible before installing, use CCCleaner, Malwarebutes then a good defrag, install your software which will want to do a scan anyway, then run CCCleaner again before re-booting. Use as normal after that.

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
                            MSE will do all you need

Good thing its not the green place your on about.
                            I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
                              Good thing its not the green place your on about.
                              Yeah

Comment

Working...
                              X