GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Security software - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Security software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Security software

Originally posted by Flowerpower
    Malware Bytes DOES scan for various types of 'virus'. This is from their website:

I have used it on an infected machine to remove a naughty virus that wouldn't let me run any other AV program or most other programs, it would just tell me I had no access to the drive.

Agreed but a GOOD av would have picked it up before your machine was infected, I have MB on my computer but it has honestly never found anything in all the years I have used it, I use Vipre av though and it is very very good. One of the first things I learned about computing is that if you use Windows you need very very good av. You pays for what you get really, so although free can be good if your stray from the beaten track expect to get attacked at some point.
    Last edited by vossy; 29 June 2012, 15:52.

Comment

Originally posted by fredbare View Post
      Hi

I also had avg and found it slowed the computer to a crawl, I now have microsoft security essential which is free, I downloaded it from microsoft website and find it realy good, well worth a try
      Thank you for this fredbare.

I've borrowed my Dad's laptop (he had it stashed in the wardrobe even though it's only about 18 months old)which had virgin's security stuff on it.

I'm using it with a 3 dongle and downloaded the free version of avg but the damned laptop has driven me to distraction with being so slow. I thought it as just something to do with the dongle and the laptop not getting on (you can tell I'm not very techie )

Now I know why it's so slow!

I'll uninstall avg and try Avast.
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Virgins security also slows computer to a dead stop, computer froze for 15 minutes every hour to update itself, soon got rid of that.

I also downloaded the banks online banking security Rapport which is excellent but if this is running in the background it also slows computer as it scans absolutely everything all the time, so I stop rapport running and then go to task manager and end Rapport Management. If I want to do internet banking I start Rapport manually.

Glad I could help

Fredbare

Comment

I would stay with Nod32 if it was me, all free bank software will slow your computer, AVG and Avast will do so too. I agree about Microsloth but I generally install it on all machines I fix as most of them arrive with nothing on them except virus's, at least when they go back there is "something" on them. People spend a lot of money online now but are loathe to spend £30 a year on some good security.

Comment

I though Rapport was Santander's own program. Everytime I go to the online banking site it tells mr I should download it. Knowing Satan's track record I was a bit dubious! what is Rapport?
            It works like a secure connection between you and your bank, it connects automatically and disconnects when you log off your bank, as said though if you use good security software to start with it is not needed.

Comment

Most banks have it now, its extra security, which is fine, it monitors for fraudalant websites, its good for internet banking as it protects your password and stuff, but does slow your computer if you keep it running in the background when surfing the web so i manually turn it off and on.

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
                It works like a secure connection between you and your bank, it connects automatically and disconnects when you log off your bank, as said though if you use good security software to start with it is not needed.
                Hi Vossy

I have tried numerous av programmes over time, I also bought Norton av and firewall but found it too aggressive for a home computer. You dont always have to pay for a good av, you just have to find the one that suits you best.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                  I made that exact change around three years ago, and it definitely speeded up the PC.

I though Rapport was Santander's own program.
                  Maybe I should give it a try purely for online banking as Satan's security hasn't always been the best.
                  My main account is with Satan's as well, and I've installed Trusteer Rapport. It is independent and nothing to do with any individual bank, and I've never had any problem with it. I agree that it is better to turn it off when you are not using Internet Banking, so your PC doesn't get slowed down.

About Avast – I see there is now a version for Android cell phones.

I've never understood the attraction of cell phones. Why would anyone want to pay £500 for a matchbox with limited functionality when they could pay less than half of that for a Samsung Netbook, which is virtually as good as a desktop PC in most respects?

I may have to rethink, though. Now they seem to have greater functionality, it might be useful to have a cell phone for the times I don't want to carry the netbook around. The whole world seems to have gone mad on these things, and every form you have to fill in online seems to demand a cell phone number. With Satan's online banking you can't even set up a new payee without a bloody cell phone number .

I got a prepaid card a couple of months ago, and that demanded a cell phone number as a required field. That didn't bother me, as the dongle which I use to connect my netbook to the internet has a cell phone number, but what about the billions of people who might want a prepaid card who don't have any kind of cell phone number??? So, a product which may be of great use to the ordinary working man, is now ONLY AVAILABLE to the POSH SODS who own CELL PHONES!!!!! .

I've been researching cell phones extensively in the past week, and I have found three which have predominantly positive reviews. The Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray is less than £200, and has almost exclusively positive reviews. The screen is only 3.3”, though, which sounds extremely limiting, although the magazine reviews still said browsing was easy.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is getting rave reviews, with a quad core processor and a 4.8” screen, but it is £500. The Samsung Galaxy Note is £100 cheaper, has an even better screen (5.3”), but “only” a dual core processor. As that “downside” is hardly likely to be a problem, I'm thinking that the Note is probably the best way to go.

Of course, you also need a network to run it on, and I've been looking at the Giffgaff network. It seems to offer cheap rates and there are no credit checks or contracts to worry about.

I know there are posters on this site who have been cell phone heads for over a decade, so if they have any tips let's hear them!

SH

PS I think the site needs a new emoticon, as I've just worn this one out -

Comment

Originally posted by fredbare View Post
                    Virgins security also slows computer to a dead stop, computer froze for 15 minutes every hour to update itself, soon got rid of that.

Glad I could help

Fredbare
                    AVG won't uninstall

I tried several times yesterday and the laptop just ends up freezing. Any suggestions?

I'm reluctant to uninstall the virgin security as it's not my laptop and I only have it temporarily.

I have Norton on my desktop but I can't afford to pay fpr security for the laptop when I'll only be having it for a few weeks.
                    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

AVG won't uninstall

I tried several times yesterday and the laptop just ends up freezing. Any suggestions?

I'm reluctant to uninstall the virgin security as it's not my laptop and I only have it temporarily.

I have Norton on my desktop but I can't afford to pay fpr security for the laptop when I'll only be having it for a few weeks.

Try here: AVG | Download tools and utilities

There is an uninstaller there for you. Problems can arise from having two lots of security software on your computer - as you are seeing. The AVG uninstaller should sort out your problem for now anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                        I need a hand here,
                        What free antivirus/firewall/security software would you install on a windows vista pc with a lowish spec.
                        At the moment it has AVG free , windows defender and firewall I think.

Also what would you use on a low spec XP machine?

I have a windows 7 laptop with AVG pro (came free with the laptop)
                        I'm not sure about your AVG pro..... sounds like this is something that will need paying for at some point; not all AVG products are free.

I have always used AVG Free and have had no problems with it at all but, I also have Spybot Search & Destroy (also free) which picks up spyware that AVG could miss.... and also allows you to immunise your system against threats.

I disabled Windows Defender but have Firefox (?) on there, I think. The reason I'm not altogether sure is because the laptop I use now is one supplied by work and all the stuff I've mentioned is on my daughter's laptop. We've used it for around 6 years now though with no problems, no crashes, no serious infections or anything.... and all for FREE!!!!

Happy days.....
                        Remember the mantra:
                        NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
                        Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
                        Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

Yes the pro will need paying for very soon. Although I was asking for the OH's desktop and my old steam driven desktop.

Thanks I think I will stick with MSE

saying that someone or something has hacked my windows live account so just had to reset it all and AVG didn't pick anything upi

Comment

Yes the pro will need paying for very soon. Although I was asking for the OH's desktop and my old steam driven desktop.

saying that someone or something has hacked my windows live account so just had to reset it all and AVG didn't pick anything upi

As I said in an earlier post, if you want good security software on a windows machine it will need paying for, its a small price to pay in the long run.

Comment

Try downloading Spybot Search & Destroy..... picks up all kinds of nasties and runs well with AVG.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for anti-virus/spyware stuff when you can download it for nothing but everyone's different....
                              Remember the mantra:
                              NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
                              Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
                              Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

spybot search & destroy I use and have for years.

Comment

Working...
                                X