GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Yorkshire Water - default notice - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yorkshire Water - default notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkshire Water - default notice

I've had a default notice from Yorkshire Water saying they will register a default with CRAs unless an amount exceeding £200 is paid in full by xx March 2013.

There is no water meter here (unlike my previous house) so it's a fixed rate bill based on the rateable value of the house (a 3-bed ex-council semi). I think it would almost certainly be in my current economic interests to have a water meter fitted as I'm a single person. But is it likely to affect resale value (or rental yield) if I move out in the future?

I'm on income-based JSA at the moment (was working a few months ago but not long enough to stop being on income-based JSA when that job ended).

In the standard blahblah they're threatening court action and say "this is a legal document and sets out information in relation to your rights and legal obligations..."

The main thing that bothers me here is that they're insisting the amount can only be paid in full. Overleaf they suggest getting a debt adviser to negotiate on my behalf.

I had used a debt counsellor in the past with a credit card and they made a right hash of it. Someone said at the time that someone on the forum is willing to act as a debt counsellor. Is anyone willing to take up the cudgels?

There's no question that I'll have to pay this bill, but I would like reasonable arrangements in which to do it.

Re: Yorkshire Water - default notice

I prefer water meter. We use yorks water too plus I argue they monopolise thus shouldn't use CRA's but let's not start that eh...!

Point is its the same if not slightly cheaper do deffo get one mate. Won't affect resale value as all new builds come with meters anyway and have for 10 years now...
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      I prefer water meter. We use yorks water too plus I argue they monopolise thus shouldn't use CRA's but let's not start that eh...!

Point is its the same if not slightly cheaper do deffo get one mate. Won't affect resale value as all new builds come with meters anyway and have for 10 years now...
      Yeah, my last house was a new build and consequently had the water meter as standard. My only concern on the resale thing is that people looking for a family house may be looking for older houses precisely because they don't have a water meter. I know that would be a petty reason to turn down a house - but the homebuyers' market is full of petty prats.

Comment

hi evilcartman,

At least they can no longer disconnect you for non payment. However this makes them much quicker to litigate so you need to sort this out ASAP. (Bizarrely now that they can't disconnect it's no longer classed as a priority debt, which is wrong on so many levels)
        You should be able to negotiate weekly payments for this, but if they persist in demanding the full amount, or want unreasonable installments you can arrange to have it deducted at source from your JSA at a reasonable rate.
        Edit, just checked and third party deductions for utilities are usually 5% of your allowance.
        http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch33.pdf
        Last edited by Undercover Elsa; 13 February 2013, 16:08.

Comment

Working...
        X