GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script migraine treatments - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

migraine treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• migraine treatments

Hi guys,

To those of you who like me are unfortunate to suffer from debilitating migraines, what medications do you use to either try & prevent them or alleviate them?

I have been on pizotifen for a while now and at first thought it was a magic pill, however, gradually they came back. A few months ago I started on lofepramine, an antidepressant in the same family as amitriptyline which is sometimes used as prophylactic treatment (lofepramine was chosen due to the fewer side effects). But alas, I am still getting them .

I recently read that magnesium, co-enzyme Q10, vitamin b2 & feverfew are sometimes successful treatments & wondered if anyone here had ever tried any of these?

I am really hoping that I can find something that works well, even if I was just to get a migraine occasionally I think I could live with that, but they are currently so painful & I am dreadfully sick, with this happening sometimes either every week or every other week, often on a work day. It might not cause so much of an issue if I didn't work (even though they are somewhat unpleasant), but I'm starting to think that some of my colleagues think I'm trying to pull a fast one & just fancy a day off! With the nature of migraines, you can't predict when one will strike & arrange cover at work, it just doesn"t work like that.

I think I started with them when I was about 8yrs old & they worsened through my teenage years. In those early days I used to get an aura with visual disturbances, but in more recent years they have started only coming on over night - even worse when I wake up at 6am to start work at 7.30am, work stand no chance of arranging cover at that short notice.

I've got to the stage that I'm willing to consider anything to try & prevent them!

As for treatment to alleviate an existing migraine, I'll take anything I can get my hands on! I've got maxalt melt (rizatriptan) for the actual migraine, buccastem (YUK!) & domperidone for sickness, and paracatemol/codeine/caffeine & diclofenac when I have stopped being sick (no point in trying to take them earlier cos they'll just re-appear!) I also sometimes use a forehead stick.

Has anyone got any other tips or tricks I could try please? I'm well & truly desperate!

Thanks,
    JC.
    x

Re: migraine treatments

Caffeine and sunglasses - i find cold caffeine helps.

I also like smells certain smells help me.

Comment

i would say try adjusting your diet, keep a food diary of what you eat and drink, and mark when you get your headaches, then go back over it and see if any foods or drinks match to when you get them most often.

You would be suprised what some foods and drink can trigger.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
        i would say try adjusting your diet, keep a food diary of what you eat and drink, and mark when you get your headaches, then go back over it and see if any foods or drinks match to when you get them most often.

You would be suprised what some foods and drink can trigger.
        Your right about that... My sister can't eat anything with corn syrup in it.. causes her to have a headache.

Comment

I also started with migraines at a young age (around 10) with aura and visual disturbances. As an adult I didn't suffer too badly but took migraleve on prescription when I needed to. I think mine may have been mainly hormone-triggered, given when they started and the fact that I hardly get them now (though I do still get really bad headaches with certain weather conditions)

I think you need to look at what's triggering the migraines as prevention is better than cure! So, as suggested by the others, I'd keep a diary not just of what you've eaten (it may be the chemicals added to the food, not just the food itself), but of other factors eg stress levels, weather conditions, periods, amount of caffeine intake etc. It might not be just one factor that is triggering the attacks.

Sorry I can't be more help but I hope you find some relief soon.
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Damn migraines!!! Yes I am a sufferer of them, so is my son, and my dad used to be a sufferer of them too, nasty damn migraines!

I have been tried with different meds over the years, and over the last few weeks, have started taking Co Q10 (Co enzyme) supplements, from 50mg to now 100mg, mainly because of the high BP.

But.............I have to admit (touch wood) since taking these supplements, my migraines have been far less and less painful.
            I am hoping its the supplements that are helping.

However, not saying it would be the same for all, but in my case I do think they have been helping me.

I do feel for anyone who suffers these, not nice at all. xx

Comment

Thanks guys, I will try as you suggest & keep a diary of both food & migraine patterns. Will also give the co-enzyme Q10 a shot, sounds worth a fair go. Will keep you posted.

Comment

My mum used to swear on feverfew bless her but for me I find it is stress that normally triggers them.

They come in distinct waves during my life. Each wave can with hindsight be connected to stressful situations in my life. Remove the stress, the migraines stop.

Comment

Also, get your blood pressure checked.

I used to suffer from random migraines with visual disturbances and very violent nausea. These would occur around once a month on average and I could find no connecting factors in my diet or lifestyle.

Around 5 months ago I was diagnosed as having high blood pressure and put on a course of tablets to control it. It seems too much to be a coincidence that since that date I have had zero migraines. Not even the mild headache that I used to wake up with from time to time.

It might not be the cause with you but certainly worth checking!

Comment

Had them in my teens, twenties and thirties. General fuzziness followed by excruciatingly painful headaches and nausea. Doctor prescribed a small pill to take at onset which when combined with a short nap did the trick, would wake up feeling on top of the world!

For me the trigger was continually drinking strong filter coffee and also not drinking filter coffee, withdrawal type thing.

Also found that a small amount of alcohol such as a pint at lunchtime would set one off a few hours later. Several pints didn't seem to cause any.

Since I don't drink filter coffee and can't afford alcohol anymore I only get two or three a year now. Summat to be said for this indebtedness and austerity I suppose.

Hope you get yours sorted.

Comment

I totally agree with getting your BP checked, as I am also on meds for this as well, but since in my case taking those said supplements, both my migraines have been less and BP readings are also improving.

Comment

food has a big part to play in the trigger of migraines, colours additives preservatives artificial sweetener, look at the bread you are eating , there is an additive which is added called calcium proprionate and it is a trigger for migraines, the additive is to prevent mould in the tubs so the bakery doesn't need to keep cleaning them, High Oleic Sunflower Oil is another trigger and a lot of crisps are cooked in it .

Comment

Oh dear i do feel for you, migraines are so dibilitating and can steal 3 days at a time from you!

I got so ill with migraines that i stopped working. I was in a very stressful job with a long commute and i was getting more tired and worn down every day that one day i just said 'that's it, i can't go on any more' and had a breakdown. I was at the point of having a migraine with aura every day which dragged me down mentally. I remember once i was having a bad attack, the worse ever, and i thought my skull was literally going to crack the pain was excrutiating. I'm now back at work but have to seriously look after myself.

My neurologist's advice is to get a good night's sleep but don't sleep too much as lack of sleep or too much sleep can be a trigger. I'm told to drink 2.5-3 litres of water a day. If you take too many painkillers you can get in a cycle of chronic daily headache so you really have to be careful with the painkillers. My neuro tells me to take zero painkillers but trying to hold a job down and drive to and from work sometimes means i need to take them to survive the day! I'm told to have no caffeine and i try to adher to this bar the occasional sip of Mr C's drink.

chocolate is a no no for me, a bar of chocolate gives me a full blown migraine the next day.

I agree with others about diet, some things are a big trigger for me. My biggest problem seems to be anything with preservatives in, and this is pretty much anything apart from meat, fresh fruit and veg, eggs... I love fish but even fresh fish is covered in preservative that will trigger a migraine in me.

This brings me onto SULPHITES!!! Mr C is sick of me mentioning sulphites ha ha but they are a BIG trigger for me. If the level of sulphite is below a certain amount then manufacturers don't have to list them, although the food could contain enough sulphite to give me a migraine. Annoying, huh? Anything that lists sulphites on the label has a massive amount in it so i would be very careful! Things that are high in sulphites: wine, dried fruit, cranberry sauce, mince pies at xmas! the mincemeat is smothered in the stuff, frozen chips, anything with glucose-fructose syrup in (that's a lot of stuff!), baked goods, pickled goods, bottled lemon juice, garlic puree...the list is endless

I mentioned glucose-fructose syrup, or high fructose corn syrup (HFCS in the US). This is sulphited and is in so many things.

I'm not saying these things will be triggers for you but they are definite triggers for me. A food diary is a useful thing and is really worthwhile. Don't forget to log how you slept, what the weather is like, your mood etc.

Have you got yourself a referral to a neurologist by the doctor? The neurologist will have access to more treatments than the gp so very worthwhile. I was also checked out thoroughly with scans, blood tests, etc and properly diagnosed with migraine with aura and blood test showed severe anaemia.

I've tried pretty much every migraine preventative out there, i'm currently on gabapentin which does help me.

I'm currently taking magnesium and i would recommend this as i think this has helped me a lot.

I have to really pace myself, often that means working 5 hours then resting for most of the evening. I am getting better, more energy, but i have to be aware of my energy levels and not overdo it or i pay for it.

Well i hope my waffling has given you a couple of ideas? Sorry if i've gone on a bit, it's a subject that touches a nerve with me. I really feel for you...i hope you get some relief soon xx

edit - ps sunglasses are a must! i wear them 99% of the time
                          Last edited by confused76; 26 September 2012, 19:49.

Comment

Goodness! Thank you so much for all your ideas & suggestions everyone, all worth a good thought.

I guess the only way to see if it is diet related is by looking at the food diary. My gut feeling however is that is it stress & sleep related, I've read that as mine now only ever come on over night there might be a problem when I am in the REM (rapid eye movement, nothing to do with Shiny Happy People before anyone jokes!) phase. Another likely suspect is caffeine withdrawal, however I have my tea & coffee so unbelievably weak, in fact my old work mates used to call it fortnight tea/coffee! And even then I don't have more than 3 cups a day which would probably add up to most peoples 1 cup!

JC. x
                            Last edited by Jacobs Cracker; 26 September 2012, 20:32.

Comment

Hi confused!

You weren't waffling at all, you've made some great points.

I've got a feeling its going to be an absolute nightmare trying to study my diet log, I don't think I'd thought of all the possibilities before. The thought of no more mince pies fills me with horror!

I've started on the magnesium tablets the other day, and oh my goodness, my bottom this morning became a biological hazard with a risk of doing nearby people some real harm!!! I'm hoping that will settle down though. I'm going to give co-enzyme Q10 a go too.

I understand very well that vile pain & have thought myself that my head was going to split in half & have considered doing emergency surgery on myself involving my whole head coming off, but then I might have a few extra problems!

My dad has had them in the past but not for years, my mum also has had them but not for a while, & my 2 brothers occasionally get them too. I seem to be the worst affected for now though.

JC. x
                              Last edited by Jacobs Cracker; 26 September 2012, 20:31.

Comment

Working...
                              X