GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script migraine treatments - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

migraine treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: migraine treatments

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
    Stupidly i had two cups of strong coffee the other day, set me right off!

What i hate most, is the feeling the next day, the tight fuzzy head feeling you cant shift until the day after.

Ive decided to cut the coffee out now completely.

Cheese i can deal with if its mild, strong cheese sets me off also, so i stay well away.

Ditto
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpet View Post
      My worst experience was a few years ago when one came on whilst I was at work in central London. I tried to get on my way home but had to get of the tube train quite urgently and just made it to the street before being violently sick

I'm sure passers by thought I was a drunk!
      I had a similar experience several years ago when my migraines used to come on in the day rather than at night. I had an appointment in Chester & started to feel ill while I was there so left early. I was on the train on the way back when I started to feel very sick, but unfortunately was on one of the old style trains that had a section in between the actual carriages where the doors were, but no toilets! Quick & rational thinking when you have a migraine doesn't come easy as you'll know, but I'd lept up from my seat with a carrier bag to be sick into. It soon dawned on me that the carrier bag in question had holes in the bottom to protect against suffocation & my vomit was dripping out . Not wanting to throw the carrier bag out & create litter, my only other solution was to stay by the door & hang the bag out of the window until the next stop, a few miles away. On arrival at the next station I darted off the train to a toilet on the platform where I was able to put my bag of vomit in a bin before leaping back onto the train! Phew I thought, although still not feeling great. I then glanced over at the opposite window only to see streaks of vomit that had been splattered in the wind! How embarassed was I ?!?
      Last edited by Jacobs Cracker; 1 October 2012, 13:18.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
        Stupidly i had two cups of strong coffee the other day, set me right off!

What i hate most, is the feeling the next day, the tight fuzzy head feeling you cant shift until the day after.

Ive decided to cut the coffee out now completely.

Cheese i can deal with if its mild, strong cheese sets me off also, so i stay well away.
        Hope you're feeling better now. My head is very fuzzy today, although I've got a cold & think its probably due to that rather than a migraine.

Comment

Originally posted by GANGSHIELD View Post
          Ditto
          Hope you're feeling better too. x

Comment

Originally posted by Jacobs Crackers View Post
            Hope you're feeling better too. x

Yes Thankyou!!
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I found a few other triggers yesterday, on Sunday i ate a nestle toffee crisp , yesterday i had a migraine aura which lasted 20 minutes. I looked on the ingredients and found that it has malt and barley extract for me these are triggers so i know not to eat that chocolate bar, i am better sticking to crunchie and kitkat

cinnamon triggers migraine aura also and honey
              Last edited by Spent2much; 9 October 2012, 07:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
                I found a few other triggers yesterday, on Sunday i ate a nestle toffee crisp , yesterday i had a migraine aura which lasted 20 minutes. I looked on the ingredients and found that it has malt and barley extract for me these are triggers so i know not to eat that chocolate bar, i am better sticking to crunchie and kitkat

so easy to not know contents at the time.

Comment

Blimey, I haven't had a toffee crisp in years, did love them though. I would never have thought about cinnamon, malt, barley or especially honey causing migraines. The more I learn I'm becoming quite shocked at what foods can cause them, for some people I guess their diet could be very restrictive.

Comment

Ive had migraines since a very young age too. Cant even remember half of the medicines i tried. None of the "preventative" medications ever worked and only migraleve could stop a migraine for me if i caught it early enough before it really hit hard. It was a question of spotting even the simplest sign that one was coming and then reaching for the migraleve. If i was too late then there simply was no way out of it other than to force myself to sleep regardless of the time of day.

This method worked for a while but then after a while the migraleve stopped working as effectively :/

Since hen i have found nothing and the headaches are not only migraines but also massive tension headaches and cluster headaches in recent years. Doctors dont find any problems with blood pressure etc and everything appears normal. Diet charts didnt seem tyo pinpoint any areas either :/

Interestingly a couple of months ago my doctor said that there was a new treatment which is proven to show very good results and not sure if anyone else has heard this but it may make you laugh.

BOTOX !!!

Yes thats right, the doc said that tests are still ongoing but botox injections once every 3-6 months around the eyes/temple area has shown very good results in preventing migraines. It can be expensive and so unsure of NHS funding myself and also wonder about it being open to abuse by vain people who want a freebie lol

Anyway...... interesting news on the old migraine front !
                    I hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Comment

Originally posted by billypre View Post
                      Ive had migraines since a very young age too. Cant even remember half of the medicines i tried. None of the "preventative" medications ever worked and only migraleve could stop a migraine for me if i caught it early enough before it really hit hard. It was a question of spotting even the simplest sign that one was coming and then reaching for the migraleve. If i was too late then there simply was no way out of it other than to force myself to sleep regardless of the time of day.

This method worked for a while but then after a while the migraleve stopped working as effectively :/

Since hen i have found nothing and the headaches are not only migraines but also massive tension headaches and cluster headaches in recent years. Doctors dont find any problems with blood pressure etc and everything appears normal. Diet charts didnt seem tyo pinpoint any areas either :/

Interestingly a couple of months ago my doctor said that there was a new treatment which is proven to show very good results and not sure if anyone else has heard this but it may make you laugh.

BOTOX !!!

Yes thats right, the doc said that tests are still ongoing but botox injections once every 3-6 months around the eyes/temple area has shown very good results in preventing migraines. It can be expensive and so unsure of NHS funding myself and also wonder about it being open to abuse by vain people who want a freebie lol

Yes I have heard of that before, although I don't know any details of how/why it works & for what types of migraines, or the cost/funding for it. It's fantastic that anyone can get relief with this though, however it works.

Comment

Think it works by keeping open the blood vessels around the temples and increasing bloodflow or something.
                        I hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Comment

hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Ohaaaaa Don!t you already? lol

Comment

Originally posted by billypre View Post

BOTOX !!!

Sorry you've been having a rough time of it Billy....

Yep, i've had botox for migraines! I was put under general anaethetic and had about 40 odd injections on my scalp around the hairline at the front of the head and around the base of the skull at the back and a few on the shoulders.

It works by temporarily weakening/freezing the muscles so that they don't contract and tense up as much. Or something like that.

It did nothing for me, my neurologist wanted to try it again and do more injections but i can't afford it as i'm no longer covered by my works private healthcare.

I've had two lots of nerve block injections in the base of my skull as well, now these were seriously not fun. I spent about 2 weeks in bed both times as i felt sick to stand up and had full on migraine for 2 weeks. Makes you wonder why i tried it a second time, right? Well neuro thought it wasn't done right the first time and i was so desperate i had it again.

I've been trialing a little device at the moment which you use to give an electric current over the nerve in the neck. It's meant to reset the pain pathways or something. I've stopped using it now as i think it was making me worse!!!

I have officially tried everything in my neurologist's arsenal, that's it now.

Comment

wow, i never would have suspected such innocent sounding ingredients aura is hope you're feeling better today. x

Comment

Originally posted by confused76 View Post
                                Sorry you've been having a rough time of it Billy....

Yep, i've had botox for migraines! I was put under general anaethetic and had about 40 odd injections on my scalp around the hairline at the front of the head and around the base of the skull at the back and a few on the shoulders.

It works by temporarily weakening/freezing the muscles so that they don't contract and tense up as much. Or something like that.

It did nothing for me, my neurologist wanted to try it again and do more injections but i can't afford it as i'm no longer covered by my works private healthcare.

I've had two lots of nerve block injections in the base of my skull as well, now these were seriously not fun. I spent about 2 weeks in bed both times as i felt sick to stand up and had full on migraine for 2 weeks. Makes you wonder why i tried it a second time, right? Well neuro thought it wasn't done right the first time and i was so desperate i had it again.

I've been trialing a little device at the moment which you use to give an electric current over the nerve in the neck. It's meant to reset the pain pathways or something. I've stopped using it now as i think it was making me worse!!!

I have officially tried everything in my neurologist's arsenal, that's it now.
                                I must say that botox injections don't sound like anyone's defintion of fun , but I take my hat off to anyone that has tried it, I guess desperation could take you anywhere.

I'm sorry to hear you're not having such great time either. With medical science developing as it is, we can but hope that maybe one day they'll find a magic cure to put a stop to the buggars, or at least reduce them somewhat.
                                x
                                Last edited by Jacobs Cracker; 9 October 2012, 19:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X