GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Unsure of benefits for disabled 17 year old son - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unsure of benefits for disabled 17 year old son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsure of benefits for disabled 17 year old son

Emailed and been ringing everywhere, still waiting for emails for the last week or more, and can never get through and when I do its the wrong information!! I did however receive an email this morning back from just one of those I emailed last week/in regards of Employment Support Allowance (ESA). I shall post a copy of this on my next post shortly.

My son age now 17 - receives the Highest Rate Care of DLA, plus Low Rate Mobility.
    This is a non-means tested benefit.
    Okay its something, but surely he has a right to means tested something.

Child Tax and Child Benefit stopped just before his birthday in January 2012, he did receive the 20 weeks extension for it to end then.
    He was given the extension of 20 weeks because of being registered with Careers Wales.

However, Careers have still not found anything to suit, and the ones he was suited for he was let down last minute, IT course, they could not provide the one to one support.
    Then the photography course - not enough numbers to make up for the course, let down again!
    He can only cope with small numbered groups because of his anxiety etc.

We are also writing further to new build school opening after Easter) special needs, which includes a 6th form/up to the age of 19., just 5 mins walk from my house.
    So far he is let down again but I am going further into this and awaiting now for feedback.

For now he still continuing his Home education for min of 13 to 16 hours per week, he has no quals, and was home ed through Education Otherwise since year 9 of secondary school.

The point here is, what is he entitled to?

Income support - No
    Child Tax - No
    Child B - No
    Job Seekers - No
    Even Employment Support Allowance (ESA) are tightening their belts.

Re: Unsure of benefits for disabled 17 year old son

Email received from a adviser/jobcenter/esa. (Also I am my son's appointee, as he is unable to deal with benefits).

Dear Mrs

Sorry to hear of your problems in establishing the benefits that ****** may be able to claim. I will try to set out the rules and options as simply as I can.

Parents can continue to receive Child Benefit and Tax Credits for their children for as long as they are in non-advanced education or training (or their 20th birthday if earlier). While the young person is 16 or 17, the parent can continue to receive both Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit after he finishes education or training, for an "extension period" of 20 weeks. It appears from what you say below that, although ****** is still looking for suitable training or education in the future, he is not undertaking any at the moment and has already benefited from the 20 week extension. Therefore, you are right in thinking that you can no longer get Child Benefit or Child Tax Credit on ****** behalf.

The other option is for ****** to claim benefits in his own right. The most promising option, depending on the detail of ****** condition, is to claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) from Jobcentre Plus.

ESA is intended for people who are sick and disabled and who have limited capability for work. It is both a means-tested and a contributory benefit. ****** should certainly apply under the means-tested rules, assuming he is not excluded by other income or savings above £16,000. If his means-tested claim is successful, his higher rate DLA will qualify him immediately for a higher rate of ESA. If he cannot get the means-tested benefit, he may still get the contributory benefit under special rules for young people with long-term disability.

If ****** claims ESA, this does not mean he is giving up the idea of training, working or supporting himself: the benefit is specifically intended for people who want to work but who have a mental or physical incapacity which makes it difficult for them to do so. In order to qualify for ESA, ****** will initially need medical evidence from his doctor. He will then, usually within 13 weeks, have a "work capability assessment" to confirm he is entitled to the benefit and, if so, the rate of additional component that can be awarded to him. As ****** is receiving the higher rate of DLA, he can return to education while on means-tested ESA without it affecting his benefit. He should also be offered support from Jobcentre Plus to help him work towards finding employment which is suitable to his condition.

If ****** does not have limited capacity for work, then his only other option would appear to be to claim Jobseeker's Allowance. However, until he is 18, he would only be eligible to receive it under severe hardship rules which are unlikely to apply in his case.

As you say, it does not appear that ****** would qualify for Income Support in his present circumstances.

I hope this information is useful to you.
    Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 14 February 2012, 15:03. Reason: removed personal details

Comment

I know there is a link called entitledto, but because of my son's age, it doesnt allow it!

Comment

Chased up my son's Careers Advisor on the email I sent on Monday just gone, asking them to write a note on our behalf for when applying for benefits, she got back just now to confirm she looking into it and will email me back.

Comment

Excellent, thank you FlowerPower.

In regards of family fund, I was informed he is eligible this year, as it will end a day before his 18th birthday, he has been having family fund for the last 3 years, but because they go by tax credits now as well, I am awaiting to see if we can receive this, then do an application.
          Infact this month is the month he can apply for FF, thanks for reminding me.

Good work xx

Comment

Hope my son's Career's Adviser gets back to me tomorrow.

Comment

Career Adviser emailed back to say letter in the post with Career's header, to confirm the update of my son, still registered, awaiting placement for further 6 form ed or approved training, so this can be enclosed to use when making claims for him.

Comment

Heard from a free welfare advice organisation later in the day yesterday, they gave me details in regards of benefits for families with disabled children, and a list of details for a 17 year old in order to continue to receive CHB and CTC.

Briefly:
                He or she must continue to be in full time (12) hours or more) non advanced education, or certain types of unwaged training.
                Non advanced education can include HE so long as the young person was being educated in this way before they turned 16.

Or:

The young person is treated as in a "temporary interruption" of their education, where is young person is currently not engaged in full time education but this is seen as temporary state of affairs it is sometimes possible for them to be treated as in temp interruption to their education rather than cease education.
                Where this applies CHB and CTC can continue to be paid so long as the length of interruption is deemed to be reasonable in all the circumstances.

He or she is in an extension period, where a 16 or 17 year old has left education, CHB and CHC can continue to be paid for the period of up to 20 weeks whilst that child is registered for work or training with a body such as the careers service. Unfortunately benefit then ceases at the end of that extension period, even if they remain registered for work/training.

Comment

Does your son not fall into the temporary interruption category Di? Particularly as you have proof of your attempts to find a placement for him?

Shep x

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
                    Does your son not fall into the temporary interruption category Di? Particularly as you have proof of your attempts to find a placement for him?

Shep x

Hi hon and yes that is correct.

Infact my son started home ed/education otherwise as from 2008 and its never ceased, although he registered with Careers, that was for them to find a suitable education establishment or training for him, while he still still continues home ed, its at 16 and not 25 hours, as it used to be 25 plus before he registered with Careers, so hopefully this is his entitlements.

Cheers. X
                    Last edited by di30; 19 February 2012, 11:39.

Comment

http://www.cafamily.org.uk/pdfs/mone...reaches_16.pdf

In regards of the above post.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                        Good to see the links were useful, just noticed the 'cafamily' site where you got the PDF above mentions 'rare syndromes and disorders' on the link I pasted on Friday, that's just the way the link came in - you know Niddy recently changed the forum settings so links automatically paste with page titles. We would never write something like that on the work we do! That seems to be the title Contact a Family have given to that page.

I hope it's been useful and wish you luck with the school!

Thank you Flowerpower, your a star! xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                          Soon you'll get to see the interactive version of the special needs handbook, working on it at the moment.

That sounds fantastic, can't wait, thank you. xx

Comment

Letters sent to both CHB and Tax Credits yesterday by 1st class signed delivery.

Checked Track and Trace, the Tax Credit letter appears to have got there ok, as there is proof of a signature as well, no confirmation yet on the CHB, maybe still too early, so will check again later.

I could not find the appropriate forms to complete for the reasons of my son's Home Ed, so hopefully letters with enclosed proof of when he came out of school in 2008 to undertake HE will be ok.

Comment

Now confirming CHB dept's received the letter, fingers crossed for my boy.

Comment

Working...
                              X