GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Pet Insurance - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pet Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Insurance

So you thoughts? Is it worth it?

I had a big rant last year about Sainsburys Pet Insurance.

I am seriously considering whether next year to bother renewing it or not?

With the dog she has an on going condition (she had a cancerous lump removed) so I will keep her with Sainsburys.

The cats however I changed the lot of them to Asda (did through a comparrison site and got some cash back) but with all of them there is a £70 excess and I am thinking now - would it just be better to put the amount I am paying out in premiums into a seperate account and use that - but... what happens if there is an emergency? Well I have to pay out up front anyway so would have to borrow the money (as no emergency credit card to use!) so maybe it is really not worth my while renewing but just keep some money aside for them (will keep the dog going).

What do you think?

The cats are all over 7 so premiums go up - one is nearly 13......

Any suggestions? My rewnewal date is in July I think?

Re: Pet Insurance

I can only offer my own experience.

Last doggy had pet insurance all her life. She died at 13. Never made a claim.
    This doggy is three (nearly) and has had pet insurance all his life. Never (yet) made a claim.

However, I reckon if I was to cancel, I'd wish I hadn't!!! It's handy for when things go really wrong, and bills can run into thousands; but for everyday stuff, ie. infections, injections, inspections (ha ha) insurance is of no use.

To be honest, it's about a tenner a month (give or take a couple of quid), so I'll just keep it going (for now, at least).
    If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Mine is a bit more than a tenner....

The Dog is £35 (can't do anything about that!) The cats are 24/12/10 so as you see I pay out quite a lot!! - we are now with Asda

Comment

My dog's is £35 / month with £70 excess, seems typical across the industry.

With my cats I didn't have any, one got to a ripe old age before needing any vet treatment. The other had a few instances which cost an arm and a leg.

But if you've got i then I'd try and keep going with it unless you can be sure that the premiums are going to be saved away and not diverted to other uses!

Comment

What really "irks" me is they offer lots of good deals for new clients but nothing for exsisiting - when the cats are up I will change again and use a cash back site.

Comment

One of my dogs had an illness while she was a puppy & that illness would've been excluded from any insurance policy.

I've never really thought about it for my 2 since then, any policy i have looked at you pay the first 20 pounds anyway & most of my bills have been around that figure.

IMO insurance is only worth it should a major operation be needed.

Comment

For me, it's been worth it. My old cat had a chronic condition but I'd had him insured from about 6 yrs. Good insurer, paid out no problems or queries, must have claimed £1500 over three years or so before he died. (That was Petplan and I can't fault them)
              I've got our cat insured and already had to put in a claim (for about £150, so more than a year's subs).(With Sainsburys, when I took out the policy had to go for cheap option, may well swap back to Petplan on renewal date).
              Last edited by MustGetStraigh; 24 February 2011, 10:25.
              Niddified and proud!

Fought and won the UE battle, thanks to Niddy and this forum...
              SB since 2016. Now have my life back!

(I used to be MustGetStraight but I've lost a "t")

Comment

I will have a look round a renewal date for the mogs. I have always been happy with the way Sainsburys have paid out (esp with the dog being so poorly) but it just really annoys me they offer 3 months free for new clients but nothing for exisitng just put the premiums up and up and up. So I changed. I saved a few quid and got cashback) so I will do the same this year - none of the cats have anything exisitng ....

Comment

OK all my pet insurance policies are due.

Sooooooooooo do I.......

start to shop around? anyone got any good tips about who to try?

Or do I save my money and just keep the dog insured and hope that the cats don't have anything that costs me over £70................

I am going on comparrison sites when i get home to have a look and see what I can get - as - the premiums with Asda have all gone up - even though I have not had one claim..........

pah!

Comment

Direct line were cheapest for me, but it does go up as doggles gets older (suppose they become more at risk of illness).

Don't really know what to advise; we haven't had a claim since we've had Oscar, and he's three - but I know the minute I stop insuring we'll have problems!

Good luck with your renewals hun; it's an expensive old business!
                    If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Yeah the doglet I am stuck with Sainsburys with as she has her on going illness - so I am resigned to that fact

I will log and and get a quote for the mogs with direct line................ see how it goes - will let you know!!

xx

Comment

My advice: shop around and read the exclusion and limitation clauses, carefully.

I was shocked recently to see what breeds they do not insure!

We bought the sainsbury top of the range cover of which the excess is £100 but when the dog became unwell the vet bill came to £102. Not much point in claiming £2.

Comment

Incase anyone doesnt know.

If you receive certain benefits such as housing benefit or Council Tax benefit then you can get FREE healthcare for your pets in accident, illness and injuries from a charity called the PDSA. If i had time i'd put a link in.

Anyway, only cost is a £5 postal order to register then if moggy or doggy gets ill or injured the vets do it for free via the PDSA.
                          I hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Comment

25 May 2011: Martin's Weekly Money Tips Email Archive

Comment

Originally posted by billypre View Post
                              Incase anyone doesnt know.

If you receive certain benefits such as housing benefit or Council Tax benefit then you can get FREE healthcare for your pets in accident, illness and injuries from a charity called the PDSA. If i had time i'd put a link in.

Anyway, only cost is a £5 postal order to register then if moggy or doggy gets ill or injured the vets do it for free via the PDSA.
                              PDSA are very good:
                              Who can PDSA help?

But, if you do not live in a PDSA catchment area, they contribute very little.

Comment

Working...
                              X