GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script RBS PPi Refund Offset against Existing Debts - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RBS PPi Refund Offset against Existing Debts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RBS PPi Refund Offset against Existing Debts

Hi Please can someone help, I see from this thread -> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...omeone-help-me you have had a similar problem, I have recently claimed PPI back from Nat-west, it was upheld and payment was due to be paid to me, I received a text yesterday saying it had been paid into my current account, it hadn't. After several calls to the PPI team and a visit to the local branch it seems they have paid it against a debt I supposedly owe of over £2000. account was closed on their system on 15.01.2009, I paid the account off in full in 2007 and have never used it since. they say I owe this money but can not tell me why. I have discussed with the adviser in branch and with them by phone that I do not owe anything and I would like some kind of proof of this supposed debt, they cant supply as they don't hold records of closed accounts?? yet they can tell me I owe them money. I pointed out that they have made no effort to contact me, I am on the electoral roll and have been at my current address since 2008. they have made no application for a CCJ or indeed added anything to my completely clear credit report. even by their dates it makes it older than 6 years is that not statute barred anyway, regardless of whether I owe anything or not?? I have made a formal complaint, they explained it may just be an error and they will get back to me within 5 working days ( not holding my breath) the adviser actually agreed older than 6 years was unenforceable whether I owe or not and its probably a mistake. they also agreed I had not used the account since 2007 and that i may have mistakenly thought it was closed, he mention interest accruing which makes me think I may be in the same coat as Cookie was. I do not know what to do for the best, they have £750 of my PPI money and are now saying I owe then nearly £1400 too. please help.

Thanks Billy

*** ADMIN EDIT TO SPLIT THREAD INTO ITS OWN THREAD WITH LINK TO ORIGINAL THREAD REGARDS NATWEST ***
    Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 14 July 2015, 10:07. Reason: admin edit

Re: Natwest - can someone help me?

When is the 5 working days up? If the date hasn't passed then just wait and see what they get back to you with, you may be worrying for nothing.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
      Hi Please can someone help, I see from this thread you have had a similar problem, I have recently claimed PPI back from Nat-west, it was upheld and payment was due to be paid to me, I received a text yesterday saying it had been paid into my current account, it hadn't. After several calls to the PPI team and a visit to the local branch it seems they have paid it against a debt I supposedly owe of over £2000. account was closed on their system on 15.01.2009, I paid the account off in full in 2007 and have never used it since. they say I owe this money but can not tell me why. I have discussed with the adviser in branch and with them by phone that I do not owe anything and I would like some kind of proof of this supposed debt, they cant supply as they don't hold records of closed accounts?? yet they can tell me I owe them money. I pointed out that they have made no effort to contact me, I am on the electoral roll and have been at my current address since 2008. they have made no application for a CCJ or indeed added anything to my completely clear credit report. even by their dates it makes it older than 6 years is that not statute barred anyway, regardless of whether I owe anything or not?? I have made a formal complaint, they explained it may just be an error and they will get back to me within 5 working days ( not holding my breath) the adviser actually agreed older than 6 years was unenforceable whether I owe or not and its probably a mistake. they also agreed I had not used the account since 2007 and that i may have mistakenly thought it was closed, he mention interest accruing which makes me think I may be in the same coat as Cookie was. I do not know what to do for the best, they have £750 of my PPI money and are now saying I owe then nearly £1400 too. please help.

Thanks Billy
      Hiya

Is the account still owned by Natwest or have they sold it? Is it statute barred (not that it matters sadly) - however the FOS might be your best bet here.
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi Guys thanks for your replies, The 5 days started today and it's working days so they have until next Friday. not sure about Statute barred if im honest i read about 6 years and it is just over that, However I have not made any payments to that account since 2007 when I settled in full all I owed, or so I thought. I read Cookie's thread about interest occurring because account was left open, do you think this could have happened here too? When you say Statute bared not that it matters Niddy, does that mean that potentially this deb could still be enforceable. I have a completely clear credit history, no defaults, nothing showing as unpaid. and they have never tried to contact me about this or apply for CCJ?

Thanks

Billy

Comment

Chill. I never said any of the sort

ive told you. Go to FOS after formally complaining. Don't worry about unproportionate charges. The FOS can sort that too.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Niddy, they have me all in a tiz to be honest.. just going back into branch after all these years filled me with anxt.. they really bullied me years back and it took me ages to sort out my finances afterwards so to now have them using the same old tactics really set me off. I will give them the 5 days then go to FOS. Thanks again, hopefully they will see sense first....

Comment

Give them 5 days - for what?

Comment

Hi Niddy, They said it was 5 working days to look into my complaint. should I ignore that?

Thanks Billy

Comment

Hi Billy, no, you need to wait for their response to your complaint.

They should give you a final answer and mention that you can go to the FOS if you're not satisfied.

The FOS need you to try and sort it out with the company first before they'll look at your complaint, so wait and see what they say, and let us know

Elsa x

Comment

Thanks Elsa, Hopefully they will see sense with this one. I cant believe they can get away with things like this in this day and age.. Its old bully boy tactics like they used with me years back, I thought it had changed now...obviously not!

Comment

Once a banker always a banker. I've seen some dirty tricks in my time!

Comment

Billy I wouldn't believe a bank if they told me they were a bank xx
                        if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                          Hi Niddy, They said it was 5 working days to look into my complaint. should I ignore that?

Thanks Billy
                          if you've previously complained then you don't need to wait. Have you previously complained and had a final response?

Comment

Hi Guys, I complained about the PPI Mis-Selling yes, their final response was to uphold my complaint and agree a compo figure, they sent me a letter which stated any outstanding debt to RBS group would be taken into account, Great I think I don't have any debt!! I signed and returned, only to get the text saying it was paid into my current account..It wasn't!! when I phoned them they told me their debt management team had taken it against the outstanding debt. I have since complained about this but this is the 5 days I am talking about.. I only have to wait til Friday so I may as well see what they have to say before I go to FOS, Would you agree??

Comment

I had some PPI a couple of yrs ago and the balance was paid off my card before I had what was left.So not sure in your case but I do think that's what happens,unless someone knows different , good luck xx
                              if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                              X