GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script EU referendum: Cameron announces date of vote - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EU referendum: Cameron announces date of vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EU referendum: Cameron announces date of vote

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
    Noticed this century old poem by G.K.Chesterton.

We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong and sweet

Yet there is no man speaketh as we speak in the street

Smile at us, pay us, pass us.But do not forget.

For we are the people of England and we haven't spoken yet.

Thursday we did.

Yes we certainly did!
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thousands of remainers have signed a petition for another referendum to hand in to number 10 !!!! The wealthy and luvvies no doubt. BTW we were 2 of the fools back then , but signed up for common market trade totally different to the shambles of the EU now.
      I wonder how many of those people signing this petition are actually entitled to vote anyway.

Comment

or are under 25 and know nought

no point in screaming, I knew nought when I was 25 either
        despite having two degrees (free ones I might add, you could have as many as you wanted then)

and I did a gap year (1974) on the continent and I had to show my passport to get in and out, fancy!

Comment

Totally unrealistic petition.

Change the rules retrospectively? I don't think so.

Need 60+% share of vote on a 75+% turnout? Unlikely to meet either of those criteria, particularly the second one.

I wonder if the guy who started this petition had his tongue in his cheek.

Comment

Or up his jacksey !!!!! Our local MP Margot James cried , needs a slap, have they forgotten we pay their wages they need to do what we want.
            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thousands of remainers have signed a petition for another referendum to hand in to number 10 !!!! The wealthy and luvvies no doubt. BTW we were 2 of the fools back then , but signed up for common market trade totally different to the shambles of the EU now.
              1,679,540 to be precise! The link has been doing the rounds for the last 24 hours. One thing it will do, is reach the Guinness Book of Records as the fastest growing petition ever. Last night there were just around 300,000 when I first came across the link!

Regardless which side you're own, it's only fair to require more than a 50/50 majority for something as significant as this, In this case, close to 20 million people were against the outcome, which would have been the same if the remainders had won. The vote was just too close for comfort, that's the point.

Comment

been a lot of shyte talked, not doubt will be a lot more, they need to stop bleating and get on with it.

The luvvies don't seem to realise that once we are out we're out, so that takes a big swathe of them out of the workforce, it they've spent their time moaning, greeting, musing, perusing anything to do with the EU, they need to get on their bikes and get a real job, I for one have absolutely no sympathy,

apparently anyone who voted to leave is a bit of of a knuckledragger, won't have a degree, hasn't ever been more than 14 miles from where they lived when they were 14....................really???

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                  My "fools" remark is tongue in cheek - point being the same people who voted in back in 73 & 75 are the ones now voting out (Young back then, pensioners now).

They hoped things would change for the better. It hasn't. They know best. Kids nowadays are generally nothing but work shy and rude (minus the exception). The EU has handed an easy life on a platter and that's wrong. Anyone over 40 will recall parents back then having several jobs.

Up to get us ready for school. Job 1. Home at 3 to sort us out then when other parent came in they went off to job 2 and occasionally went straight to job 3 (nightclub). Hard times indeed.

Not necessarily. In the '60s and early '70s, it was not unusual for women to be housewives/stay at home parents. That may have been one reason why kids were generally better brought up and not work shy or rude. Most had two parents rather than one, and one was with them most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post

apparently anyone who voted to leave is a bit of of a knuckledragger, won't have a degree, hasn't ever been more than 14 miles from where they lived when they were 14....................really???
                    I think the biased BBC has done much to foster that line of thought. In interviewing people in the street, asking how they voted and why, they seem to have chosen to broadcast predominantly less articulate Leave voters.

Comment

Originally posted by BuzzyBee View Post

Regardless which side you're own, it's only fair to require more than a 50/50 majority for something as significant as this, In this case, close to 20 million people were against the outcome, which would have been the same if the remainders had won. The vote was just too close for comfort, that's the point.
                      16,141,241 to be precise!

Comment

agree BBC is most definitely biased

I was up really early on Friday to see what had happened, and was pretty taken back by some of the shyte they were broadcasting, That eejit Farron from the LibDems in particular more or less said if you voted leave you weren't a "decent" human being, absolutely bloody insulting, he's seems to be one of the above in my post, if you don't like it get off the pot and let someone who really cares about your area deal with the actual brexit implications, wringing your hands and insulting people is not really going to be the way forward

Comment

Cameron for whatever reason called the Referendum. But there have been issues rumbling away for a number of years. The Banking crash however coupled with Maastricht (the Euro) meant that nations could nolonger control their countries finances. If the UK had dropped the Pound and taken up the Euro the majority for Exit would probably have been 100%
                          Right now there is a East West divide in Europe (economically) and South North politically.
                          Europe right now is really France and Germany.
                          The heckling of Politicians has started but the majority of Parliament were Remain. What is now admitted is they loss of real representation between electors and the political parties in this country especially in the North East and Middle England.
                          Politically there has been a disconnect between MP's and their Constituents and this is now admitted.
                          Niddy is right to many of our politicians have had silver spooned backgrounds. Groomed for Politics from their schools and colleges!!

Comment

Originally posted by BuzzyBee View Post

It was more than 50/50...not much but still more which is all you need in this country in a democratic vote.

I find it strange that the other leaders are now talking about the shortcomings of the EU and better understanding the concerns of the people. If they'd done that before there probably wouldn't have been a need for a referendum.
                            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

The hysteria is ridiculous, both here and by European politicians; I never thought I would say this but I agree with Mrs Merkel who say there is no need to be rude or rushed. No one knows what is going to happen; scant attention is being paid by the losers to what was going to be imposed on us or removed from us over the next few months!

The result was achieved because of the poor way in which the arguments were made and the areas on which they focused.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
                                agree BBC is most definitely biased

I was up really early on Friday to see what had happened, and was pretty taken back by some of the shyte they were broadcasting, That eejit Farron from the LibDems in particular more or less said if you voted leave you weren't a "decent" human being, absolutely bloody insulting, he's seems to be one of the above in my post, if you don't like it get off the pot and let someone who really cares about your area deal with the actual brexit implications, wringing your hands and insulting people is not really going to be the way forward
                                Yes I saw that live too, and thought what he was saying was disgraceful.

Comment

Working...
                                X