GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script EU referendum: Cameron announces date of vote - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EU referendum: Cameron announces date of vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EU referendum: Cameron announces date of vote

I've just had my brother telling me that I'm a racist! I've screwed up his work and his daughters education because she is good at languages and wanted to study abroad. It's all my fault because I voted out. He told me that he may go and work and live in Switzerland. I told him to go! Whatever happened to being able to have your own views. I'm actually hoping he will unfriend me on Facebook.

Comment

The EU has already knocked Splurge-on back on two fronts a) UK as a whole must exit, and b) an independent Scotland would have to reapply and meet stringent conditions.

So now her plan is to try to get the Scottish parliament to block Brexit.

Comment

The petition which is all the rage is NOT actually calling for a second referendum. I hadn't realised, but it turns out that it was started before 23/06 and was calling for a rule change, which was clearly cynically designed to ensure that an Out vote could not succeed.

It appears that non-UK citizens have been encouraged to sign it, using a false postcode. Indeed, one German journalist has signed it illustrate that the petition can be rigged. The petition is being investigated for fraud.

Comment

It's all a disgrace and yes after an election if we don't like the result maybe we can change it. I've always thought it's them and us now it's definite .

Nigel Farage had done himself out of MEP pension ,that tells me he's the most honest out of all of them.He says he's the only turkey that votes for Christmas

JLC how can it be racist to hold a view? All they have to do is fill I a form for a visa .... simples xx
          if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by JLC View Post
            I've just had my brother telling me that I'm a racist! I've screwed up his work and his daughters education because she is good at languages and wanted to study abroad. It's all my fault because I voted out. He told me that he may go and work and live in Switzerland. I told him to go! Whatever happened to being able to have your own views. I'm actually hoping he will unfriend me on Facebook.
            A newsletter comment I read last night -

The “virtue signalling” of social justice warriors, using their social media accounts like a righteous sword, has made civil political debate increasingly rare in most Western countries. Hence the situation since the murder of MP Joe Cox last Friday. No one in Remain came out and said it. But when they talked about the “climate of hate” they were really saying, “If you vote for Leave, you might as well have pulled the trigger yourself.”

Thus, a Remain vote has now become, in emotional terms, about proving you’re not a racist, a xenophobe or a fascist. Your legitimate concerns about legal immigration, about EU law replacing British law, about whether the EU is good for big business and big government while being bad for small business and personal liberty – none of those matter, because you’re a small-minded and immoral person if you want to leave.

I’m not sure how it happened. But civil political discourse with respectful differences of opinion is hard to find these days. My own personal theory is that the political elites have aligned themselves with big business, the City, and those who coddle them in the media. This has created a very real division between the governed and the governors.

Comment

Im afraid your brother is having a knee jerk reaction as are many who voted to remain. It's sad when ones political opinion can cause a rift between families and friends.

Maybe you can point out to him that leaving the EU won't mean that our little island will be cast apart like a leper colony from the rest of the world, all it will mean is if anyone wants to work or study in Europe they will go through the same channels as they do now if they want to work or study in a non European country ...you apply for visa !

Edit: nanna you beat me to it about applying for a visa ...

Comment

I think it would be interesting to see how us entering the EEC was campaigned.

Comment

Yes, nanna, I agree. Visa's are not a problem. No one complains about having to do them for America.

Comment

The government has removed 77,000 fake signatures from a petition calling for a second EU referendum, saying they were ‘added fraudulently’.
                    They said they would continue to monitor the petition – signed by more than 3 million people – for suspicious activity.
                    Only British citizens and UK residents can sign petitions on the government’s website.
                    Concerns were raised after page data showed people from outside the UK had added their names, including 39,000 apparently from the Vatican City (despite that country having a population of just 800.)

Some apparently from North Korea too.
                    Last edited by Still Waving; 26 June 2016, 15:44.

Comment

Smacks of big brother x

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by lookingforward View Post
                        Does it mean that if we get a Gov we don't like we can sign a petition and get to have another election ?
                        If only ....

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
                        Well I have just lost on the lottery and I am going back to the newsagents to get my £2 back!!!.
                        Good analogy!

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        this petition - do the thick idiots not realise that a petition ONLY means it will be debated in Parliament? Clearly they will discuss and dismiss it as they must; the majority spoke.

It's akin to my not liking the lottery results last night, so demanding a redraw. Ridiculous.

Plus, you have to realise it would take an extremely brave leader to risk their whole career by calling another referendum which would (and should) be rejected by other MP's.

#sourgrapes
                        Well said, Niddy.

Originally posted by Deepie View Post
                        Would be so funny if England were to win the football ..........you never know ....
                        Wonder if there would be a petition to get the result reversed????

Am watching the "special Question Time" - at least, until I get sick of Cameron. Already what is coming across very strongly is that it is the "people speaking for themselves" - and they don't get such an opportunity very often.

What about the Labour party imploding??? And Georgie Porgie going AWOL?

Comment

That's sad JLC. I've just had my brother and SIL for Sunday dinner. He voted to Remain while I voted to Leave. There was some friendly banter but that's all. It certainly won't come between us.

The students protesting that the vote didn't go the way they wanted are acting like the petulant entitled kids they are.
                          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

I'm watching QT Phee, all that piggin Diane Abbot does is attack UKIP she hasn't answered a question yet. I think Dominic Raad
                            Would be good one to send to EU.as he's a lawyer.

Win the football ...... now that is fantasy ..

Comment

I do agree, Nanna. That Diane Abbott just can't help shouting!

I also agree about Dominic Raab, he seems very sensible and measured. I think he would make a good leader. I am convinced that if Boris becomes leader, he will very soon "crash and burn" - and a replacement will be needed.

And, apparently, another member of the Shadow Cabinet has resigned! Looks as if they are already "crashing and burning". Jeremy Corbyn just hasn't engaged with people and not just in the referendum campaign.

Comment

With Corbyn we think because he doesn't really want to stay he could lie during the campaign so kept out of the way .Whether we like him or not he stands by what he believes in.Mind he's not statesman like is he ?

Comment

Working...
                                X