GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Contact or not? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contact or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact or not?

Hi all

I received some very wise and valuable help on here in the middle of last year regarding an account with Co-op Visa with an alleged debt of £4934.

In short, the original CCA agreement from 1993 was improperly executed and is therefore totally unenforceable.

Co-op tried all manner of threats and coercion including threat of Statutory Demand (SD) but (with help from this forum) that was batted away in September 2014.

Since then I have not been in contact with Co-op Visa. They have since sold the debt to firstly Moorcroft and then Link, both of whom have written to me asking for payment proposals. I have ignored these letters on the basis that once six years elapses, the debt and default can be wiped from my credit history. Is this right?

However, I have recently seen some advice which suggests writing to the creditor and saying, in terms "You are never going to get your money and there is no court that can order it so either, so why don't you just write the debt off" - or words to that effect.

My question is, is it worth writing a letter such as this; if I do does it impact on the six year rule; and lastly if I do write, who does it go to - Co-op or the current owner of the debt i.e. Link?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Re: Contact or not?

or just ignore it and let sleeping dogs...and all that
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I agree with Deepie, just ignore them. If you contact them they may restart contacting you.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The reason I wanted to try and get the credit file cleaned up is because this is the last default on the file and it would be very helpful going forward to have the credit record clean!

Comment

They won't remove any data from your credit file and even if you pay it off the default markers will still be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Norbert View Post
            Thanks for the replies.

The reason I wanted to try and get the credit file cleaned up is because this is the last default on the file and it would be very helpful going forward to have the credit record clean!
            unfortunately the default will be there to stay ......

When did you get defaulted ?

Comment

Here's a quick summary:-

• Type of account - Credit card

• Date commenced - 1993

• Approx balance - £4934.82

• Date last full payment - May 2010

• Are you on arrangement or not paying - Payment plan of £100 per month - stopped making payments June 2014

• Status - Default

Account in default since at least May 2010 (with token £100 payments being made each month until June 2014) although I cannot find any correspondence that says "Default Notice" - just lots of documents saying "Notice of sums in arrears"

"Default Notice" received dated 16th October 2014 although subsequently told by Co-op this notice was incorrect and to ignore it (see letter dated 30/10/14) below

• Account owner - Link

Most recent correspondence

16/10/14 - Default Notice from Co-op
              23/10/14 - Letter from Co-op appointing Moorcroft
              28/10/14 - Letter from Moorcroft saying they have been appointed
              30/10/14 - Letter from Co-op - Default Notice issued on 16/10/14 issued in error - letter says "ignore it"
              10/11/14 - Letter from Moorcroft asking for proposals to pay
              29/12/14 - Letter appointing Link as DCA

Comment

must be due a letter soon been a while - let sleeping dogs lie comes to mind!

Comment

Your debt only becomes Statute Barred after 6 years in England and Wales. As you were paying £100 per month up until last year it will not become SB until after June 2020.

If it is unenforceable, you just sit it out, and wait for 2020. Do come back for advice if they begin to pester again.

Comment

However, I have recently seen some advice which suggests writing to the creditor and saying, in terms "You are never going to get your money and there is no court that can order it so either, so why don't you just write the debt off" - or words to that effect.
                    I think many creditors would see that as a red rag to a bull, and unless you're supremely confident on the reasons the agreement was improperly executed, and representing those reasons in court (or paying a legal representative), you should consider the risks.

Link Financial have a history of issuing court claims, so I'd be considering whether I wanted to be making myself a target.......
                    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

I have ignored these letters on the basis that once six years elapses, the debt and default can be wiped from my credit history. Is this right?
                      Specifically relating to CRA's - yes, after 6 years from the date of original default, the entry will drop off and can not be re-added. However this date is nothing to do with the actual default date of the account as in s.87 (CCA). Did they default you maybe, before you set up the £100pm payments? I don't know - if there were a few missed payments from last actual payment until the monthly agreement then it could be already exhausted. Too many equations to guess I'm afraid.....

I hope you never seen that BAD ADVICE on AAD - if so please share so I can ban the member in question....... We would never suggest that unless there was a reason, and being UE is not a reason (they still try and enforce UE debts). ONLY if you were dying or never likely to earn again due to ill health would we ever suggest you try for debt write off.

My question is, is it worth writing a letter such as this; if I do does it impact on the six year rule; and lastly if I do write, who does it go to - Co-op or the current owner of the debt i.e. Link?
                      Nope - let sleeping dogs lie - one default will have little affect on you, however the moment you start applying for credit it will alert this creditor and they'll start hassling you again.

I would not recommend going down the UE route with one default over £4k as it won't affect you - at all (other than mortgage application).
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for the replies - wise advice as usual!

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          I would not recommend going down the UE route with one default over £4k as it won't affect you - at all (other than mortgage application).
                          We've already decided that it is definitively and irredeemably UE (this time last year after I sent you a copy of all the relevant paperwork and you kindly looked at it for me).

Not sure whether that impacts on the advice?

Can you clarify for me - does the six years start from the date of last full payment, the date of last part/reduced payment or the date of notification of Default?

Thanks.
                          Last edited by Deepie; 12 November 2015, 13:51.

Comment

For a debt to be statute barred, 6 years starts from date of last signed acknowledgment of debt or any payment, no matter what size. Rob Way are arguing that one of my debts isn't SB because I made a payment of 1p.

Comment

Thanks - I thought it was date of last payment!

The reason for asking is on the Co-op dispute, the original default from them was before 2010 and so if it ran from that date, would be coming up on six years now!

Comment

Working...
                              X