GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Paid off Mackenzie Hall but now find I never had to. Help? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paid off Mackenzie Hall but now find I never had to. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid off Mackenzie Hall but now find I never had to. Help?

Hi Niddy and Team,

Going through the mountains of paperwork to sort everything out I came accross a letter from Mackenzie hall. To cut a long story short on the 21/08/09 my wife got a letter from Mackenzie Hall asking her to contact them. We knew nothing about the legal side of things or who these people were to my wife rang them......Mistake number 1. They told her on the phone that she owed Capital One £265.67 and now they had her details and address if she did not make a payment there and then they would take her to court. She came off the phone slightly upset and didnt understand it all. We rang them the next day and they explained to my wife that this was from a debt she made in 2001??? They gave her the address it was linked to which she moved out of at the end of 2001 and has had no contact and no payments made on the account since 2001 (They told her that on the phone). Because I had the money my wife paid them the full amount on my card on the 25/08/09 and that was that.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago when I find this site (Which is outstading Nid and Team) and I noticed the "Mackenzie Hall" posts and put 2 and 2 together.

Now my question is this....... As I now know what they said was wrong and the fact that it was SB how on earth do I get my money back from them. Am trying to find a letter tem that I can send to them but still going through the posts.

Would love a bit of help or advice please.

Cheers Guys.
    Started with a debt of £18,323.68 in May 2005. Everything now paid off but trying to sort out credit file now which is shot to bits. Now begins the journey.

Re: Paid off Mackenzie Hall but now find I never had to. Hel

You cannot claim back monies paid in a SB debt - it's for you to realise it is SB - not the lender. Technically they have breached guidelines by asking her to pay a SB debt and the best you could do is complain to the FOS citing the fact that they were agressive and threatening on the phone and put your wife in an awkward position and pretty much forced her to pay - that will help your case but I doubt you'll get refunded, unless the DCA feel generous.

Sorry, but it's technically only wrong for a lender/dca to hassle you for payment when they KNOW it is SB'd - they could have just been sold the account, and tried their luck (which is what they will say anyway).....
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Nid,

Will try the FOS but I doubt I will ever see it again.
      Started with a debt of £18,323.68 in May 2005. Everything now paid off but trying to sort out credit file now which is shot to bits. Now begins the journey.

Comment

Try asking the firm first, worth trying it on - use guidance from the template letters to help you compile a letter, specifically the quote below and this: ---> viewtopic.php?p=2313#p2313

remember to mention that you'll complain which will cost them £500 anyway so it is cheaper for them not to have to defend your claims with the FOS; and to pay back what they "stole" from you..... reverse the facts so it suggests they done wrong, and you done as told... 1

Technically, repayment into a SB debt falls under unenforceability rules, but that's not to say you'll understand cos it's not the same unenforceability I refer to on here (lol sorry to confuse matters)....

Read this as well: ---> http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/IHTmanual/IHTM28384.htm

OFT Debt Collection Guidance
        The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has issued Debt Collection guidance which looks at whether a debt is being collected fairly. They say:
        • It is unfair to pursue the debt if you have heard nothing from the creditor for 6 years. [/\*]
        • The OFT thinks it is fair to keep trying to recover the debt if the creditor has been in regular contact with you during this time. [/\*]
        • It is unfair to mislead you be saying the debt is still legally recoverable when it isn’t. [/\*]
        • It is unfair to keep pressing for payment after you have told them you won’t be paying the debt because it is statute barred. [/\*]

If this happening then you can complain to your local Trading Standards Department in the council. They can take up your case for you. You can also complain to the OFT. Their address is at the end of the factsheet. The OFT does not usually take up individual cases but their Debt Collection Licensing Enforcement Team collects information that can be used to take action against problem creditors, who can even lose their Consumer Credit licence.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks mate. Have knocked up a good letter and also looked at the site you provided me. Sending it Recorded Delivery 2moro and see what they come back with.

Cheers again mate. Did you get my PM?

Comment

Originally posted by livi.till.i.die
            Thanks mate. Have knocked up a good letter and also looked at the site you provided me. Sending it Recorded Delivery 2moro and see what they come back with.

Cheers again mate. Did you get my PM?
            Hiya, yep PM received sorry for delay. Basically write to the CRA's and explain the situation with addresses to them, they are the ones who can sort this. If they say no (which they are entitled to) then not much you can do, other than ensure they all have your current address - but in any case the link to the previous one will not pose any problem, cos they KNOW you're no longer there so wouldn't write to you there or anything (well they shouldn't)!.....

Comment

Well I never.............Full refund and appology from MH saying they were sorry................

Ding........Dang........Doo

Comment

lol , you did well there , good work sir

Comment

Now you need to send them a letter asking for compensation for the stress and hardship you and your wife suffered as a result
                  I hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Comment

Just happy to get the money I paid them back to be honest. Was a turn up for the books they even gave me a refund.

Comment

Aye, that was a result and a half matey. Well done !
                      I hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Comment

Originally posted by livi.till.i.die
                        Just happy to get the money I paid them back to be honest. Was a turn up for the books they even gave me a refund.
                        Excellent news - well done. I do like a happy ending

Comment

A TWIST IN THE TALE!!!

My cheque in hand and off I go to the bank....All is well with the world........

Get home and what is on the doorstep....another letter from MH. I wonder what they want now I think to myself. Open it up and to my shock there is a letter there with the same account number and details as the account they have just refunded me stating that this account is now in arrears and they will now attempt a Doorstep Assessment for the Principal some of £531.34. It states "Despite repeated efforts to contact you ......Bla Bla Bla.....Your debt being increased to include legal costs and Interest should we apply for a Judgement.....Bla Bla Bla. It also has a statement of account which shows the payment of £265.67 last year stating there was an outstanding balance of £265.67. Must be a knock on effect from my letter I thought and old details until I see the refund they have sent me dated 04/11/10. This refund has taken the balance back to £531.34.

Now this letter does not bother me in the slightest but am a bit miffed to say the least that they have sent this out. My "Sorry Letter" from them is dated 04/11/10 and clearly says “We are please to inform you your account is now paid in full; therefore it is imperative you cancel any method of payment pertaining to this account”.

Are these people for real or are they that stupid. I logged into the "Online" account details they provided me and there it is.....A live debt account for the sum of £531.43.

Another letter Nid???

Comment

It may just be that their system hadnt updated yet. Could just be an automated mail or something. The debts SB though so they cant take you to court (well they could try lol) and you have the cheque in the bank so i can't see how this could change anything.

Looks like the processing for their refund has blown their processing chip lol and now their automated system is going haywire :P

Comment

Cheque in the bank and all is well. Rang them (dont all shout at me at once for calling them and not writing) but the weather is poor and mail is even worse. They stated that their system had not been updated to show the account is closed and the letter was automatic when they changed my address...........

Job done.

Livi Till I Die and Niddy 1 - 0 Mackenzie Hall

Comment

Working...
                              X